Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 08:53:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

EASTER

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EASTER  (Read 222 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: January 17, 2016, 01:25:01 pm »

from The Telegraph....

Easter date to be fixed ‘within next five to 10 years’

Fixing the date of Easter would have an effect on school terms
and calendars, the Archbishop of Canterbury has said.

By JOHN BINGHAM and SOPHIE JAMIESON | 9:25AM GMT - Saturday, 16 January 2016

Disagreement over the date of Easter dates back to at least the 10th century.
Disagreement over the date of Easter dates back to at least the 10th century.

EASTER should fall on the same Sunday every year, the Archbishop of Canterbury has suggested.

The Most Reverend Justin Welby said that Anglican leaders would join discussions with other church leaders about the move to fix the date for the first time and put an end to almost 2,000 years of controversy.

The plan, which would schedule the Christian festival on the same Sunday each year, is expected to be welcomed by parents and schools but may anger traditionalists.

At present, Easter falls on the first Sunday following the first full moon after the vernal equinox around March 21st. This means it can fall on any Sunday between March 22nd and April 25th.

Archbishop Welby said Anglican leaders had voted to join discussions with the Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches to set an annual date.

He said that Easter should most likely be fixed for the second or third Sunday of April.

The Archbishop said: “We had warned the Government that this was coming up. I would expect [it to happen] between five and 10 years' time.”

“I wouldn't expect it earlier than that not least because most people have probably printed their calendars for the next five years.”

“School holidays and so on are all fixed — it affects almost everything you do in the spring and summer. I would love to see it before I retire.”

The Archbishop of Canterbury indicated that the change could happen in the next five to 10 years.
The Archbishop of Canterbury indicated that the change could happen in the next five to 10 years.

He prompted laughter as he added: “Equally, I think the first attempt to do this was in the 10th century.”

In fact, agreement on the issue would bring to an end one of the longest running controversies in the history of Christianity, dating back to the 2nd century. It could also have wide-ranging implications for schools and universities, the tourism industry, retailers and even sporting fixtures.

The Archbishop made the surprise announcement at the end of a weeklong meeting of bishops and archbishops from around the world in Canterbury dominated by discussion over deep rifts within the 85 millionstrong Anglican Communion over homosexuality.

He said that the primates of the Anglican Communion had agreed to join talks, initiated by the head of the Coptic Orthodox Church, Pope Tawadros II, on fixing a date for Easter. Pope Francis signalled earlier this year that he would also be open to the idea.

The Archbishop disclosed that Lambeth Palace had already notified the Government about the possibility of a change, in recognition of the wide-ranging implications for the economy, education and people's lives.

Teaching unions welcomed the move as offering certainty for schools. Easter Sunday falls early this year on March 27th. But it can be as early as March 22th — which last happened in 1818 — or as late as April 25th, as in 1943.

The date of Easter calculated through a complicated synthesis of mathematics, astronomy and theology considered baffling to most people.

It is linked to the vernal — or spring — equinox and falls close to the Jewish Passover festival.

The change would have an impact on school holidays.
The change would have an impact on school holidays.

The variation of Easter means that school summer terms change in length each year. It can also affect school and university examination dates because of the need to have a few weeks' preparation between the holiday and the exams.

Russell Hobby, general secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers, said: “Certainly schools would find a fixed date for Easter quite handy. The fact that it can vary isn't a problem in itself but it can be very early or very late some years and you can end up with a very long term, with teachers worn out at the end.”

The leader of the Coptic Orthodox Church in the UK, Bishop Angaelos, said it would be a powerful demonstration of Christian unity if it could be achieved.

But he added: “This is very much a young conversation. We are still looking at the possibility but as for serious conversation with historical and theological perspectives that hasn't happened yet. It is a starting point.”

The Coptic Easter falls on May 1st this year and can vary from the main western date by up to five weeks.

The announcement came at the end of a week of intense discussions between Anglican leaders on the issue of homosexuality amid deep divisions between liberal and conservative wings of the Global Anglican Communion.

There was anger from gay and lesbian Christians when it emerged that Primates had voted to partially exclude the liberal American branch of Anglicanism, the Episcopal Church, from key bodies because of its acceptance of same-sex marriage.

The Archbishop used a press conference at the end of the gathering to add a personal apology to the gay community for “the love that we at times completely failed to show”.

But he defended the action against the Episcopal Church, saying that by moving unilaterally to redefine marriage it placed tension on the bonds between churches.

How Easter is calculated

Methods for calculating Easter are fiendishly complicated, in a uniquely baffling synthesis of mathematics, astronomy and theology. Because Christians believe that Jesus was crucified during the Jewish Passover festival, Easter is marked around that time. But by the end of the 2nd Century different Christian groups were already marking it on separate dates. The landmark Council of Nicea in 325AD, which set out the core Christian beliefs in a single creed, also attempted to standardise Easter. Since then it has generally been accepted as falling on the first Sunday following the first full moon after the spring equinox — which the Church approximated as March 21st. But throughout the centuries disputes over the exact timing have been used as proxies for deeper power struggles. It effectively set the course of the history of the British Isles at the Synod of Whitby in 664AD when the preferred date of the Roman, rather than the Celtic church, became the standard. The decision is regarded as having brought Britain more firmly into the European sphere of influence — an issue still dominating the political agenda in the run up to the EU referendum.

What is the Anglican Communion?

Anglicanism emerged in the 16th and 17th centuries in England through the Reformation when new Protestant groups split from the Roman Catholic Church across Europe. It attempts to forge something of a middle way, with Anglicans often describing themselves as ‘reformed catholics’.

It spread through Anglican missionaries and is particularly strong in Commonwealth Countries and other areas with historic links to the British Empire, but not exclusively so. Today there are estimated to be up to 85 million Anglicans in the world, worshipping in 38 independent national churches — known as provinces — as well as a handful of semi-autonomous ‘extra provincial’ churches in places such as the Falkand Islands and Bermuda.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Reverend Justin Welby, is effectively the spiritual leader of Anglicanism but has little direct power. He is viewed as “first among equals” of the Anglican leaders — or Primates.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/12102278/Easter-date-to-be-fixed-within-next-five-to-10-years.html
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 03:38:29 pm »

What is the bet that Easter eggs will still hit the shops right after Christmas.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:01:26 pm »

The Easter eggs and hot cross buns have been in the supermarkets down here for 2 weeks now. They went on sale with indecent haste.
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 04:38:01 pm »

The Easter eggs and hot cross buns have been in the supermarkets down here for 2 weeks now. They went on sale with indecent haste.

And I read somwhere that the supermarkets said their customers appreciated it as it meant they didn't have a mad scramble to buy when the date gets closer.  What a load of bull.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 04:47:09 pm »

Well.....they've got to replace those display stands full of Xmas merchandise with something!! 
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 06:05:19 pm »

Long Live the Hot Cross Bun.  I like them and they can stay on sale all year!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 08:16:13 am »

I make my own fruit bread and it tastes mighty damned fine all year round. It has the same flavour as a really good hot cross bun and is absolutely divine toasted
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 09:06:13 am »

I make my own fruit bread and it tastes mighty damned fine all year round. It has the same flavour as a really good hot cross bun and is absolutely divine toasted
I think I'm in love! lol
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 12:43:07 pm »

Easter is very early this year, Good Friday is the 25 March 2016.

I genuinely haven't decided if fixing the date for Easter is a good idea or not.

One thing that does puzzle me is one of the reasons given for fixing the date (not in the article quoted) is that it avoids a association or clash with the Jewish Passover. The last supper was a passover meal - hence my puzzlement.

Also one of the reasons I have read  for making it a movable feast  was so that Christians paid attention to it and planned for it, separating it from pagan/secular spring celebrations. Doesn't fixing the date remove that and make it more like Easter will become "just another holiday" rather than a holy day?

Fixing the date would allevate the "oh f***" moment I had in November when starting to put together the preaching plans for the first three months of this year when I realised that Easter was within that period.

Who the f*** wants to be planning Easter before Christmas!

Putting the finial touches on Advent while planning Easter just seems wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 12:47:48 pm »

I like the fact that it will still be daylight saving when I go to Warbirds Over Wanaka during Easter weekend this year.

And as I'm spending a few nights at Milford Sound, then Doubtful Sound immediately prior to Easter, I'll love those long evenings in the majesty of the fjords.
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 01:47:08 pm »

kj...."...I'll love those long evenings in the majesty of the fjords..."

...mmm...sounds like some nice romantic moments for you and Mrs Palmer Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 01:49:39 pm »

kj...."...I'll love those long evenings in the majesty of the fjords..."

...mmm...sounds like some nice romantic moments for you and Mrs Palmer Tongue

Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 02:10:16 pm »

I think I'm in love! lol

Sometimes I put chopped up dried apricots in the bread as well - depends if I can be bothered.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: