Xtra News Community 2
April 17, 2024, 01:37:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

STREWTH! Was it a windy weekend at your place too?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STREWTH! Was it a windy weekend at your place too?  (Read 215 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« on: January 13, 2016, 11:20:46 am »

From today's ODT... Roll Eyes

$100,000 of damage to ski building

Severe winds battered the Remarkables Ski Area's new base building at the weekend, shattering dozens of windows and causing at least $100,000 worth of damage.

Gusts estimated at more than 200kmh on Saturday night also blew out windows in the old base building and damaged huts and snowmaking equipment, while wind-blown stones scoured vehicles in the car park.

One of the first people on the scene said the $23million facility - completed last June - resembled an "abandoned Martian city''.

Gerrard Liddell, of Dunedin, said he arrived on Sunday morning for a climbing trip with friends to an "unbelievable scene''.

Ski area manager Ross Lawrence said the damage was "pretty devastating''.

More than 30 double-glazed windows and doors in the building had been blown out, and shattered glass was dispersed through the top level.

"I knew it was windy that night but we didn't anticipate this.

"I'd call it a once-in-a-100-year wind. We've never experienced anything like it.''

Wind speeds were not recorded because of a power cut earlier on Saturday, but he estimated they were between 180kmh and 210kmh.

Repairs were likely to take weeks, and options for strengthening the windows and panes were being considered.

Read it at
  http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/369574/100000-damage-ski-building

Di
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Alicat
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 03:34:22 pm »

One of my larger tomato plants became horizontal as did my massive passion fruit bush.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 04:50:49 pm »

Was all quiet on the Western Front!
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 05:35:26 pm »

We had one single big gust here, TGFT,

but I think I have never before seen clouds move so fast. 

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 07:13:38 pm »

It was merely “business as usual” at Featherston as I passed through there in each direction on both days of the weekend.

Whenever I stop a train at Featherston railway station and the locomotive rocks from side-to-side, I know it is really blowing.

It was doing that during the weekend, but as I stated, that is normal at Featherston.

I can remember way back during the early days of the original Xtra News Community group hosted by MSN and run by Telecom NZ/Xtra when Captain Pugwash was living in Featherston and used to regularly post about the wind destroying his garden, toppling trees he had planted, etc.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 08:38:13 pm »

we live in a supposed "High Wind" area but things have been pretty quiet up our way
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: