Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 10:22:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

111 Calls - The Time Wasters

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 111 Calls - The Time Wasters  (Read 223 times)
Alicat
« on: December 24, 2015, 03:01:32 pm »

New Zealand Police are a busy bunch of people, responding to emergency situations at all times of the day.
But among those sometimes life-threatening situations reported to the 111 number are some questionable calls.
For the 2014/2015 financial year they received 1,840,078 calls for service. Of these, 791,662 were emergency calls meaning the rest weren't so urgent.

Here are some of the less urgent calls:
A man called to complain there was a fly in the chicken he purchased at a local dairy;
A woman asked police to deposit money into her bank account;
A young woman in Auckland called 111 complaining that she had her hair coloured and cut but later discovered the person who did the colouring treatment was not properly certified. She wanted action taken against this person and a refund;
An intoxicated person called to enquire about how to roast a chicken;
A woman wanting police to call her mother and ask her to come and pick her up from town. She also made the same request to the ambulance;
A caller reported a snail in her fridge;
A caller's cat was stuck in a plastic bread basket. This call was referred to the fire service.
A young person called to complain that their older brother who was babysitting them wouldn't let them choose what to watch on TV;
A young girl called to enquire about whether it was okay if her family drove their car from Tokoroa to Rotorua;
National operations manager of the communications centres Inspector Mal Schwartfeger says police do not discourage people from calling 111 if they are genuine and in need of assistance, but balanced against this is the on-going challenge police face in managing calls that are not emergencies.
UK Metropolitan Police have also released a list of their top 10 most time-wasting calls, including a man looking for the best bacon sandwich.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/nz-police-release-list-of-time-wasting-calls-2015122414#ixzz3vCvRjDEk

http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/nz-police-release-list-of-time-wasting-calls-2015122414#axzz3vCuNCAA4
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest49
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 06:24:47 am »

I must say that back in the days we took 111s in the W/H, time wasters were quite rare.
Mind you, back then people had to go find a phone - didn't have the convenience of just reaching into a pocket, I suppose...
Report Spam   Logged
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:23:49 am »

New Zealand Police are a busy bunch of people, responding to emergency situations at all times of the day.
But among those sometimes life-threatening situations reported to the 111 number are some questionable calls.
For the 2014/2015 financial year they received 1,840,078 calls for service. Of these, 791,662 were emergency calls meaning the rest weren't so urgent.

The first line is the operators. IMHO They do a great job sorting out the other 1 mil calls before engaging the front line. They quickly get essentials and determining best help, advice alt response etc. or just plain log as prank call.
To all 111 operators and responders. Hope your season has not been too bad and Wishing all a quiet New Year...
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
guest49
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 12:52:55 pm »

To all 111 operators and responders. Hope your season has not been too bad and Wishing all a quiet New Year
Never happen Don.  New Years eve is when everyone leaves their brains at home while heading out to get mullocked - Believe me when I say I know this!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 01:50:05 pm »

To all 111 operators and responders. Hope your season has not been too bad and Wishing all a quiet New Year
Never happen Don.  New Years eve is when everyone leaves their brains at home while heading out to get mullocked - Believe me when I say I know this!

One could say the same for Christmas Day too.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 03:45:45 pm »

Yeah - Times change.  I recall that we could go a whole shift on Christmas day without a call, but New Years Eve was always bedlam.  We would go from job to job to job. 
[Almost needed to dip our feet every time we passed the Clive Square fountain to cool down!  Smiley]
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 07:55:26 pm »

I had to get the phone so someone could call 111 today when one of our older ladies collapsed at church. It looks like she just fainted but when you are over 90 it was best she was checked out, she was out for the count for a minute or so. When I left the ambos were telling her off for doing too much and had put a line in but she was looking like her usually self if a bit shaker than normal.

BTW if you are going to pass out in church passing out next to a pathologist is a good idea, he is excellent at catching and kept his cool even though it was his mother who collapsed.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: