Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 01:17:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Upper Hutt City Council - You Suck!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upper Hutt City Council - You Suck!  (Read 366 times)
Crusader
« on: December 20, 2015, 09:20:28 am »

Just moved to Upper Hutt and absolutely disgusted at the lack of recycling that gets done there. It seems no one on the council has a clue what sustainability means.

And people called those in Blenheim  backwards?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest49
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:08:24 am »

Trentham?
Have mixed memories of that place!
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 10:28:22 am »

Upper Hutt....the place that has the region's PRISON located there.

I wonder why?   
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
guest49
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 02:23:44 pm »

I wonder why?   

Witako, or whatever they call it now?

Probably there because its the countries largest prison, its been there since about 1920 and there's nowhere else more suited than where it is, up the head of a blind valley.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 02:36:31 pm »

The former Wairarapa police commander has got the job of driving the prison bus over to Rimutaka Prison and back every day.

I have a few beers with him occasionally at our “local” just around the corner from my place.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Alicat
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 03:12:44 pm »

I wonder why?   

Witako, or whatever they call it now?

Probably there because its the countries largest prison, its been there since about 1920 and there's nowhere else more suited than where it is, up the head of a blind valley.

Rimutaka Prison
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 03:15:19 pm »

Just moved to Upper Hutt and absolutely disgusted at the lack of recycling that gets done there. It seems no one on the council has a clue what sustainability means.

And people called those in Blenheim  backwards?

When I moved here I already had a wheely bin (private company) but ran Upper Hutt City Council to ask for one of the recycle bins. "We don't supply those Madam, you will need to pay one of the wheely bin companies and they will collect your recycle matter each week or fortnight."

Me: "So, you want me to recycle but you want me to pay a few hundred dollars a year for the privilege of recycling?"

UHCC: "Yes."

Me: "Nah - stuff ya."

I don't recycle now.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 11:05:40 am »

My former City Council was trying to charge our wee community what many of us thought was an exorbitant sum for a weekly collection. 

We held a meeting of protest and as a result called tenders, then selected a contractor from a neighbouring City Council whose dump (Oooops landfill) site was half the distance from that of our council.

Is that democracy in action?

a
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
reality
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 11:19:02 am »

"My former City Council was trying to charge our wee community what many of us thought was an exorbitant sum for a weekly collection.  "

...yup...public servants feeding from the public supplied trough often treat their employers with contempt...their top priority is themselves Tongue

...the public need to be more outspoken and tolerate less mediocrity from those bludgers...

.. the invercargill council sent 4 staff to China to buy christmas lights...the ratepayers down there should be organising a public hanging Shocked

Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 03:25:52 pm »

...."staff to China to buy christmas lights...the ratepayers down there should be organising a public hanging ..."

They did.  They publicly hung/hanged the lights

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
dragontamer
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 05:39:35 pm »

My parents live rurally under the UHCC.   The council has supplied a rural rubbish collection at an astronomical cost to the users.  The council offered dad a bin costing $300 odd, with the 'service' costing several thousand per year.  Dad declined.  The cost is per household and all the households in the pick up area are being charged this extra fee for the rural aspect.  The collection takes half a day for one truck - there is no way it costs 4 or 5 times the bill that households in the 'city' area charged (it's 15 minutes drive from the city centre - not half a days trek).

My parents have lived at that property for the last 54 years without a rubbish pick up.  Now retired they don't feel the need to pay (more) extortion fees to UHCC.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 06:38:59 pm »

Hey, I live in the half of Auckland that pays per bag - I have rented a wheely bin for the last 15 years.

We do have free recycling - don't put paper or cardboard in the bin and plastic bags are not collected.

Christmas Lights? What are they? The only Christmas lights are those put up by individuals such as the residents and businesses on Franklin Rd - Speaking of which they drew the wraith of the Council regarding traffic control. The council wanted them to pay for some - the residents said that's ok we won't put up the lights then. The council backed down.

The lights on houses in Franklin Rd make MrSp's 32 sets in our front yard look a little sparse.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 08:44:45 pm »

I almost feel privileged. We pay per bag ($2.50) which is collected weekly but that is only for non recyclables. We also get a wheelie bin for the recyclables (paper, plastics, cans etc) and a separate bin for glass - both of which are collected fortnightly for which we pay roughly $100 a year as part of our rates. So far I've had no complaints about what I put in the Wheelie bin so I must be doing it right.
and because I am a lazy gardener we have a man who collects our garden waste (by the large sack/wool pack size) for $17 a month. I know you are all going to say it, I should be composting. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Crusader
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 12:59:20 pm »

A few years ago I had a holiday in Wanaka. On the day of leaving, I dropped off two bags of rubbish at the local landfill and they charged me $10! I made a comment to the guy that they are likely to have a lake full of rubbish if they keep on charging those prices.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: