Xtra News Community 2
April 21, 2024, 12:52:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Convicted double murderer John Barlow has been denied parole.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Convicted double murderer John Barlow has been denied parole.  (Read 256 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: April 02, 2009, 09:07:47 pm »

Barlow was found guilty at his third trial of killing Wellington businessmen Gene and Eugene Thomas in 1994.

In February, the Privy Council in London heard an appeal from Barlow's legal team.

His lawyers argued that a bullet-testing technique used by the prosecution in his last trial has since been discredited.

The Privy Council has not yet released its decision.

The Parole Board says Barlow exhibits an inappropriate attitute to guns, has been deceitful about possessing them in the past, and could easily obtain firearms once released. (as could anyone)

It says Barlow poses an undue risk to the community.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2009/04/02/1245a94934

Gee doesnt it make you wonder about the justice system - Ive always wondered about this dude - I wonder why he is considered an undue risk to the community - it always seemed to me if he did do it, he didnt seem to have a vendetta against the world .. just the 2 he killed.

When we have so many rapists, child abusers, and violent offenders with records stretching from here to there that are released on a regular basis, this guy dont even get a look in.

I thought he got about 15 years .. he must be due for releae anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 10:15:40 pm »

Parole/Release Dates

Sentenced to life with a minimum of fourteen years in December 1995
First parole hearing November 2008
Has next hearing March 2009

http://www.safe-nz.org.nz/Data/barlowjohn.htm

must be released in December 2009
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:44:36 am »

When you look into this it does seem there is someone pulling strings behind the scenes.

He is a low security prisoner with no charges in 14 years inside.  The prison psyche has said he is no threat to anyone, and recommended he be released on parole.

The gun stuff is interesting also .. apparently he had some guns in his attic, he had a licence and in those days there was no requirement for them to be in a locked cupboard.  His wife says that he got the guns out of the attic .. after telling the cops there were some there, and they did nothing about them.  When he got them from the attic he discovered one was missing both he and his wife checked the attic out fully for the missing gun - then a couple of days later the cop arrived , went straight to the attic and lo and behold there was the missing gun - just sitting on a chest of drawers.

Someone seems to have an extra hand in this .... Im wondering if they are pissed at him being heard by the Privy council ... their report is due in a matter of weeks maybe months.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magoo
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:07:23 am »

lo and behold there was the missing gun - just sitting on a chest of drawers.
   Something a bit smelly about that.    I don't remember this case as I wasn't living in NZ at that time.  Was this the gun that was used in the murder?
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:10:01 am »

If I remember rightly they hunted through the Wellington tip to find the gun.  I may be wrong though.  :-A
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:13:14 am »

It seems around that time there was a great need to find a criminal to fit the crime.    Probably some in house raffle for the most convictions...who will win the chook this week?  Roll Eyes  Some say I am cynical.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:54:24 am »

I dont think you are far from the truth though Magoo.

The cops had a big piss-up when they convicted Bain, I know of one other case where a piss-up was held.
It was back in the 80s, a woman had been abducted and held for 5 days by mongrel mob.  She was dumped in Porirua in the middle of the night - the offenders where all caught and charged - getting an average of 7 yrs each.  After the case finished, the woman was invited 'upstairs'.  She went thinking it was sort of a debriefing.  And found about 30 cops already half pissed, big signs around the room congratulating the head detective on the case and the support staff he had.

She gave them a speech and walked out.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: