Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 09:49:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Were you on a benefit between 1998 and 2014?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Were you on a benefit between 1998 and 2014?  (Read 251 times)
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« on: November 18, 2015, 08:45:55 pm »

If you were on a benefit between 1998 and 2014 were you aware that you have been short changed a day?
It seems that the law says you were entitled to receive your benefit from the end of the stand down period. If that was a Thursday you were entitled to be paid from Thursday but WINZ in its wisdom decided that it was from the Friday (it could have been a Monday or any other day of the week).
Parliament is right at this minute passing legislation to correct this and making it retrospective so that they do not have to pay out.
You have until the act gets the royal assent to lodge a claim (about 7 days).
Apparently around 8000 have already lodged their claim. The Government has kept this quiet to avoid greater numbers.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

reality
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 05:11:19 am »

Thanks....no...never been on a benefit

...great to know that some dole bludgers will get a big pay out Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 05:21:41 am »

I have never been on a benefit, so I must be going to miss out on a windfall

Read all about it:
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/politics/363559/govt-rushes-fix-after-beneficiaries-underpaid
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 06:54:39 am »

Talking about benefits,  did yas know that Finland, with 10% unemployment,  is talking about benefits too:

Finland wants to pay all citizens 800 euros a month
"Finland's government is drawing up plans to pay every citizen a basic income of €800 (NZ$1300) each month, scrapping benefits altogether.

Under proposals drafted by the Finnish Social Insurance Institution (Kela), the tax-free payments would replace all other benefit payments, and would be paid to all adults regardless of whether or not they receive any other income.

According to Olli Kangas, the Research Department Manager of the Finnish Social Insurance Institution (Kela), the proposal would be finalised by November 2016.

While it may sound counterintuitive, the basic income is intended to encourage more people back to work in Finland, where unemployment is at record levels. At present, many unemployed people would be worse off if they took on low-paid temporary jobs due to loss of welfare payments.

More than 10 per cent of Finland's workforce is unemployed, rising to 22.7 per cent among younger workers.

A survey commissioned by Kela found that close to 70 per cent of the population favours the idea of a national basic income.

Detractors caution that a basic income would remove people's incentive to work and lead to higher unemployment. Those in favour point to previous experiments where a basic income has been successfully trialled. The Canadian town of Dauphin experimented with a basic income guarantee in the Seventies and the results – both social and economic – were largely positive.

Juha Sipila, the Finnish prime minister, supports the idea, saying: "For me, a basic income means simplifying the social security system."

The measure will cost Finland €46.7 billion per year. Kela's proposals will be submitted in November 2016."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/74841946/finland-wants-to-pay-all-citizens-basic-income-of-800-a-month
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:02:55 am by nitpicker1 » Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
pantherrr0
Senator
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 11:11:01 pm »

^  will be interesting to see how well it works if implemented, I think that negative income tax would be a smoother money go round in terms of supporting social services . hopefully some one will try that next !
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 07:59:45 pm »

We only had child disability during that period.....I don't think Sp2 had any standdown when she went on to a supported living payment last year.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 07:25:01 am »

Years ago I was made redundant from my job. I had gone as far as applying for a benefit whilst still looking for another job. There was nothing in the newspapers so I started doorknocking at businesses and scored a job. I cancelled my application and fortunately have never needed to apply again.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 11:40:32 am »

When I escaped from my first marriage in 1970 or thereabouts I was lucky that I already had my own School Transport Contract, so I held and used the drivers licences that went with it - HT,  Passenger Service vehicle license -  so could hire a driver for the school bus and get a flat for my daughter and me in "Town ".

Jobs were easy to get in those days, DPB and Wimins Lib was just beginning.  Men's wages were much higher than women's and I was able to get driving jobs using my HT qualifications.

One thing led to another and I was able to support us without having to use DPB.

Now I am spending the kid's inheritance as a tenant in a granddaughter's house, I'm on Super  still paying tax.

Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 11:51:34 am »

When I escaped from my first marriage in 1970 or thereabouts I was lucky that I already had my own School Transport Contract, so I held and used the drivers licences that went with it - HT,  Passenger Service vehicle license -  so could hire a driver for the school bus and get a flat for my daughter and me in "Town ".

Jobs were easy to get in those days, DPB and Wimins Lib was just beginning.  Men's wages were much higher than women's and I was able to get driving jobs using my HT qualifications.

One thing led to another and I was able to support us without having to use DPB.

Now I am spending the kid's inheritance as a tenant in a granddaughter's house, I'm on Super  still paying tax.

... and long may you last
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 01:20:53 pm »

Yes...everybody pays tax...the only other certain thing in life other than death Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: