Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 08:46:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Yep… capitalists are liars and cheats and crooks and scumbags alright

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yep… capitalists are liars and cheats and crooks and scumbags alright  (Read 573 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 02:31:58 pm »

...dole bludgers should be finding a job...not travelling overseas at the taxpayers expense Shocked

31,000 lose benefits for not telling Winz of foreign trips

5:00 AM Monday Nov 23, 2015

Ministry of Social Development figures show 31,714 people had benefits cut for going overseas without telling Work and Income - down on the previous year's 35,565.

More than 30,000 New Zealanders had their benefits cut last financial year for travelling overseas without letting officials know.

Ministry of Social Development figures show 31,714 people had benefits cut for going overseas without telling Work and Income - down on the previous year's 35,565.

Benefits related to jobseeker support were those most often cut.

Whangarei Citizens Advice Bureau co-ordinator Moea Armstrong said some people received a "nasty surprise" if they went away for a week then came back and realised they had no benefit.

She thought the main reason people failed to tell Work and Income about their travel was that they were unaware they had to.

Tauranga Budget Advisory Service manager Diane Bruin advised any beneficiaries travelling to tell Work and Income how long they would be away, the reason and how the travel had been funded.

Hastings Citizens Advice Bureau manager Ani Tylee said beneficiaries needed to ensure they were getting what they were entitled to.

Wairarapa Advocate Services manager Trevor Mackiewicz suggested people ask for a review if their benefit was cut and they believed they'd notified the ministry about their travel.

Ministry of Social Development service delivery deputy chief executive Carl Crafar said all beneficiaries were now required to tell Work and Income about their travel intentions or their benefits were stopped on departure.

He said the rules still allowed for overseas travel on compassionate or health grounds in certain cases.

The ministry had enhanced the information-matching systems it had with New Zealand Customs.

If people hadn't told Work and Income about their intention to travel and an automatic information match was made, their benefit would be suspended and they would receive notification.

- NZ Herald

Using your logic, can you please provide evidence on how many where just holiday trips vs no notice family emergencies where talking to WINZ would most likely be the last thing on their mind?

Some journeys may well have been paid for by relatives. Some would have be saved for - it is cheaper to go to Oz than to the South Island. Some could well have been trips to look for work, not that unusual if the destination is Oz. Then there is the sudden illness of a close relative overseas, the funeral in Tonga or Samoa (many churches have a fund to cover such trips for their members).

Dealing with MSD is not the easiest, even in these days where calls are recorded I have had information not noted on file until the third round of forms for the same thing, been sent the wrong forms, had forms supposedly sent but not arrive....all of that happened to me and Sp2 in the last 12 months.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
reality
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 04:47:56 pm »

The problem is not that they go...the problem is that they dont report it...31,714 in the last year did not report it...that is unacceptable Shocked
They are still able to get the benefit....the problem is that they must report to WINZ what is going on..

..the fact that they have not reported their trip as they are required to do is suspicious in itself..how long does it take to send an email..or text..or call...I would find it unbelievable if the excuse was that the person "did not have time"....yeah right Roll Eyes

I have had cause to have considerable contact with people on benefits...the NZ taxpayer is  very generous ..over generous in many cases I am aware of.....often being on a benefit is a lifestyle choice
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 06:51:05 pm »

The problem is not that they go...the problem is that they dont report it...31,714 in the last year did not report it...that is unacceptable Shocked
They are still able to get the benefit....the problem is that they must report to WINZ what is going on..

..the fact that they have not reported their trip as they are required to do is suspicious in itself..how long does it take to send an email..or text..or call...I would find it unbelievable if the excuse was that the person "did not have time"....yeah right Roll Eyes

I have had cause to have considerable contact with people on benefits...the NZ taxpayer is  very generous ..over generous in many cases I am aware of.....often being on a benefit is a lifestyle choice

So will the world end if they don't report their whereabouts?
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 09:08:05 pm »

no...but the generous taxpayers will get ripped off more Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2015, 09:28:07 pm »

How? Prove it.
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2015, 06:33:14 am »

...because if people on benefits are allowed to come and go from the country as they please without telling WINZ...it will soon become a free for all...

...and...as a taxpayer ...I want my donations to beneficiaries to be needed...not just wanted to supplement a bludgers lifestyle choice Roll Eyes

...human nature being what it is....people will take advantage...it aint rocket science

..just in my humble opinion Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2015, 08:47:52 am »

Oh I see. It is just your opinion based on no factual evidence. Isn't it funny how you be-moan others in here for doing the exact same thing?
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2015, 09:34:05 am »

...because if people on benefits are allowed to come and go from the country as they please without telling WINZ...it will soon become a free for all...

...and...as a taxpayer ...I want my donations to beneficiaries to be needed...not just wanted to supplement a bludgers lifestyle choice Roll Eyes

...human nature being what it is....people will take advantage...it aint rocket science

..just in my humble opinion Wink

SOME people will take advantage - that is not human nature, it is the nature of THOSE particular people - not the general population. You are generalising.
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2015, 11:58:27 am »

"SOME people will take advantage"

..thats all it takes to make the system inequitable ....so the rules must apply to all...its public money...our tax...

..its simple..if they dont want to have to inform WINZ of their movements, if that is to much like hard work...dont use public money Wink

..it was probably on the agreement that they signed as a condition, or they would have been made aware ..

...there are plenty of people in jail because they like to take what is not theirs..and they broke the law to do it..

..now imagine the response from the criminal element if they can take our money legally Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2015, 01:21:44 pm »

"SOME people will take advantage"

..thats all it takes to make the system inequitable ....so the rules must apply to all...its public money...our tax...

..its simple..if they dont want to have to inform WINZ of their movements, if that is to much like hard work...dont use public money Wink

..it was probably on the agreement that they signed as a condition, or they would have been made aware ..

...there are plenty of people in jail because they like to take what is not theirs..and they broke the law to do it..

..now imagine the response from the criminal element if they can take our money legally Tongue

You were implying from your post (perception, I know) that PEOPLE will take advantage - implying that it would be in general, rather than 'some' of them. All down to interpretation. I would suggest it would be the minority rather than the majority who would take advantage.

How do we know that other family members or friends haven't paid for the overseas trips? How do we know that there haven't been family emergencies that have required them to rush overseas to tend to a loved one or to even say goodbye to a loved one? The fact is - WE don't know the circumstances there it is an assumption on you part that they are defrauding or taking advantage of the system or the tax payer.
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2015, 04:27:04 pm »

1 person would be to many...the problem is that they are unlikely to tell us...so we need the same rule for all..

..if you accept public money....follow the rules..or dont sign up for the dole Cool

...I guess we dont need speed cameras because we dont know if people are going to speed Tongue...but human nature being what it is...people break the rules...there are probably very few rules that some people will not break at some point..

..its nice to think that all people are good...but they are not...we need to accept that as fact...and have rules to protect our taxes being abused...we are already to generous..I know of people who are on the benefit as a lifestyle choice...sorry ..but its true..

..to believe that in the last year over 31,000 people who are on a benefit have travelled overseas, and be confident that none of them are ripping us off I consider to be at best naive ...at worst negligent, obviously WINZ are of the same opinion Wink
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 04:47:33 pm »

...and ya would have thought that butter wouldnt melt in their mouth Wink...

Benefit frauds horrify judge
DEENA COSTER
Last updated 05:00 18/09/2014

A Taranaki judge says a staggering sum of Government money is "going out through the doors" because of benefit fraud.

Judge Allan Roberts made the comments in the New Plymouth District Court this week, when he sentenced Stratford man Graeme Joseph Bunting and two others who he said were the most recent examples in the region of people being caught out "taking from the state."

The trio stole more than $38,000 between them by failing to advise the appropriate authorities of their circumstances.

According to Ministry of Social Development figures, benefit fraud cost the country over $31 million last year, with close to $445,000 of that total connected to Taranaki prosecutions.

In Bunting's case, he was sentenced on 22 charges related to overpayments made to him by the Accident Compensation Corporation.

The 56-year-old had pleaded guilty to the charges at an earlier appearance.

After making a claim to ACC following a cycling accident, Bunting submitted 17 medical certificates between June 2011 and January 2014 which said he was either unfit for work or only able to do light duties. However, during the period Bunting did work but failed to tell ACC and pocketed $15,324.13 that he was not entitled to get.

Lawyer Kelly Marriner said her client had no dishonesty history and could pay $50 a week towards the debt.

Bunting was sentenced to four months community detention with a daily curfew of 7pm-4am and ordered to pay reparation.

● Kelly Sharron Lowry, 40, caregiver, was sentenced on eight charges of using a document and one of obtaining by deception after pleading guilty at an earlier date.

From November 2011 to October 2013, Lowry received a benefit but failed to tell Winz she had been working.

Lawyer Josephine Mooney said her client had been under financial strain since her husband died in 2012 but had already started making repayments.

"She does want to make this right," Mooney said.

The judge said although the offending took place over a long period Lowry had no other convictions.

He sentenced her to 300 hours of community work and ordered her to pay $10,774.90 in reparation.

● Inglewood mother Vanessa Rupe, 28, was sentenced on two representative charges of obtaining by deception and dishonestly using a document when she appeared.

The court heard that between April 2012 and April 2013, the defendant, who was on the DPB, told Winz she was single when she was actually in a relationship with her then flatmate.

As a result, Rupe was paid $12,613.13 more than she was allowed.

Lawyer Susan Hurley said her client had accepted her wrongdoing and had since married her partner, who now worked two jobs to support the family.

The judge told Rupe she must have been aware of the risk of conviction if she was caught.

"You must have known that consequences would have followed."

She was sentenced to four months community detention, with a 7pm-7am curfew from Monday to Sunday and was ordered to do 140 hours of community work. A reparation order was also imposed.

● On July 7, a change in the law was introduced which allows for partners of benefit cheats to be prosecuted and be held responsible for any debt.

- Taranaki Daily News

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 06:33:04 pm »

Corporate Play Pen
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: