Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 06:38:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Finned friends

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finned friends  (Read 1379 times)
dragontamer
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:03:27 pm »

Melafix is brilliant.

You can get serious salt creep if you add salt every time.  It builds up in the system. 

Thats a relataively small tank, but I'd be adding a second filter - goldies are dirty little critters.  I have a low circulation filter that cost about $25.  You could go with either the Elite Stingray or a Magic jet filter.  In a smaller tank you don't want to create too much of a current, but you want the water moving.

No carbon while treating - I'm sure you know that, but just reinforcing.  I would fill the bucket(s) with fresh water 24 hours before you need them, and let them stand.  The fluoride and chloride will evaporate.  Don't ask me how it know to do that, but it apparently does.

Don't over clean the filters.  Some try to keep the tanks too clean - thats as bad as, if not worse, too dirty.  A friend of mine has the most disgusting tank yet her fish are thriving - when you can see them through the green gunk. 

Finrot is a bastard to stop.   There is a highly effective treatment and I succeeded using it once, but the stuff isn't something you want in the house with kids (purple crystals - highly toxic - Potassium Permangimate - I had to give it back to the chemist for disposal). 

You could try furan2 from the petshop, but I would also be careful about whats already in there.  Furan is a strong anti-fungal treatment.  I've used that successfully in the past too.  It wasn't as swift as the PP, but a lot safer.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: