Xtra News Community 2
April 18, 2024, 06:49:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Nick Smith wants us to pay 5c for plastic bags

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nick Smith wants us to pay 5c for plastic bags  (Read 2334 times)
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2009, 10:24:59 pm »

So the profiteers get on the band waggon and 5c becomes 10c
From the 20th April Warehouse will be charging 10c per plastic bag to reduce unnecessary plastic bag use.
All profits (note; profits)will be donated to local community groups..Yeah right! bet they never see much of the 10c
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2009, 05:16:47 pm »

We have new rubbish bins here in Christchurch we are not allowed to put our rubbish in plastic bags before binning it.
14 years ago when I bought the bookshop everybody wanted and expected a plastic bag... ( brown paper bags for the naughty stuff)   Now only 1 in 20 people want a bag  and the adult stuff is put in recycled plastic bag.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2009, 05:21:55 pm »

and the adult stuff is put in recycled plastic bag.

Not a transparent one I trust Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
bennyboo
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2009, 11:10:18 pm »

Welcome to the world of Shon Key!

Nope - not even close - welcome to the world of Gordon Brown and British political agenda policies (Labour specifically).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brown-pledges-to-banish-the-plastic-bag-from-britain-758723.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-522765/Gordon-Brown-gives-supermarkets-year-start-charging-plastic-bags---else.html

Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2009, 01:03:35 pm »

Plastic Bags a Major Problem for Marine Wildlife

A new study by Dalhousie University in Canada sheds light on an alarming threat to marine life and plastic debris.

The study looked at the necropsy reports of more than 400 leatherback turtles, finding plastic in the digestive systems of more than one-third of the animals. Plastic bags were the most prevalent finding, though balloon fragments, fishing lines, spoons and candy wrappers were among the other materials found.

The leatherback turtle is a critically endangered species, with approximately 25,000 nesting females remaining. It is their main diet of jellyfish that caused scientists to focus on the traces of plastic in their systems. Mistaking the increased amounts of plastic bags drifting in the currents for drifting jellyfish is causing the leatherbacks harm.

The recently released Ocean Conservancy report, A Rising Tide of Ocean Debris and What We Can Do About It, found that plastic bags accounted for 12 percent of all marine debris collected during their 23rd annual International Coastal Cleanup. Plastic bottles and plastic caps and lids were also prevalent at six and eight percent respectively.

Synthetic materials have replaced organic materials as the most common component of marine debris in recent years. Plastics, for example, are often light weight and highly buoyant, allowing them to travel far distances with ocean currents.

According to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), “Marine litter is one of the most pervasive and solvable pollution problems plaguing the world’s oceans and waterways.”

A simple solution to the plastic bag issue is, of course, reusable shopping bags. Although plastic bag recycling is on the rise, the majority of the EPA-estimated 90 billion plastic bags used in the U.S. each year are not recycled. An increased awareness of the effects of plastic bags have caused many states and countries to implement plastic bag related legislation. For example, when Ireland levied a fee on each plastic bag used by consumers, single-use plastic bag consumption dropped by 90 percent.

Many retailers, like Ikea and Whole Foods, have made great strides in reducing plastic bag consumption by consumers. In fact, a Canadian supermarket was able to divert 328 million pounds of plastic bags from landfills in 2008. With reusable bag use, Loblaw Companies Ltd. aims to divert more than one billion plastic bags and 70 percent of store-generated waste from landfills.

http://www.livescience.com/animals/090416-plastic-bags.html
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2009, 01:33:09 pm »

Supermarket giant set to charge for plastic bags

Shoppers at New World, Four Square and Pak 'n' Save will pay for plastic bags from August as part of an environmental campaign.

Shoppers will be charged 5 cents a bag at the supermarkets owned by the Supermarket giant, Foodstuffs NZ.

Managing director Tony Carter said although there would be a saving for the company, there had been no business case researched and the amount of savings was unknown.

He said the company planned to make a contribution to an "environment initiative" but had not decided on an organisation.

North Island Pak 'n' Save shoppers have been paying for plastic bags for about 20 years.

Mr Carter said Foodstuffs had reduced the use of plastic bags by 19 per cent since July 2007 with workers asking shoppers if they needed a plastic bag and supermarkets selling re-usable shopping bags.

He said the 19 per cent reduction amounted to a saving of 50 million bags.

Foodstuffs supermarkets use 270 million bags a year.

"We have looked at the overseas experience in countries such as Ireland where a charge has reduced plastic bag use by 90 per cent. We have also taken into consideration the communities' opinion and it is clear that a charge for plastic bags is the best way forward," he said.

He said he thought shoppers would support the charges for plastic bags and despite the competition at Progressive enterprises - Foodtown, Countdown and Woolworths - giving away free bags, he did not think that it would cost his company customers.

Mr Carter said a trial in Australia found there was an 80 percent reduction in plastic bag consumption when shoppers faced a charge and customers turned to using reusable bags.

Progressive Enterprises was contacted for comment but have so far not returned phone calls.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10567094

Report Spam   Logged

wgtngirl
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2009, 02:36:05 pm »

We have lived in Wellington for 9 years and pak n save Porirua have been charging for plastic bags for at least that long.  Used to be 5c per bag but for the past year it has been 6c per bag.
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2009, 02:50:17 pm »

People NEED to be more careful with disposing of plastic bags.   I think its good that you get asked now if you want one, not just in supermarkets but other shops as well.   

Majority of them are made in China anyway.   Most NZ manufacturers of them went out of business years ago. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:13:17 am by Ferney » Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2009, 05:54:27 am »

Both the Henderson and Glen Innes Pak n Save already charge 10c per bag at the moment, does this mean I can insist on paying 5c a bag from August?
Report Spam   Logged
Nitpicker1
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2009, 07:21:18 am »

BAAA, BAAA, BLEAT SHEEP

HOW B STOOPID CAN YOU BE

YOU HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR PLASTIC BAGS EVER SINCE ADAM WAS A COWBOY.

THEIR COST IS LOADED IN TO THE PRICE YOU PAY FOR THE GROCERIES,  AS ARE THE "LOSSES" INCURRED THROUGH SHOPLIFTING AND  PERISHABLES

DEMAND A  REBATE FOR USING YOUR OWN, OR ASK FOR A CARDBOARD BOX

Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2009, 08:25:31 am »

I doubt that paying for bags will deter anyone from using them.  At least they are cleaner than the recycle ones they are selling with their logo on them.    How many people wash them after each shop?     At least if the meat or chook leaks in a plakky bag you can bin it.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2009, 09:57:35 am »

That is exactly why I am not a fan of the poly prop bags, being non-woven they don't hold up to regular washing for as long as nylon or calico.

Mine do get thrown in the washing maching everytime they smell or look grubby. That is almost weekly for the bags I use for milk.

One of the diffucullies I forsee with New World charging for bags is that my local New World still has packers. That means have to take my reuseable bags into the supermarket. Looks wise, they are a pile of old rags. Clean but limp and well used.

The last time I took a green countdown bag in the packer raved about its capacity and loved the was six 2 litre bottles of milk fitted into it. I didn't. I reduced the load to three before putting it in the car. My bad shoulder is partly the result of picking up an overweight shopping bag.

I have also had checkout operators blithely put my purchases in a plastic bag oblivious to me holding out my reuseable one. One of the problems with Countdown - they only seem to recognise those bright green poly props and are not interested in packing shopping into anything that doesn't easily hold open on those silly plastic bag dispensers.

Personally I much prefer having MY logo on MY bags - not someone elses free advertising.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Nitpicker1
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2009, 10:31:22 am »

This charge on plastic bottles is a TAX that supermarkets will get to keep for themselves.
THEIR COST IS LOADED IN TO THE PRICE YOU PAY FOR THE GROCERIES,  AS ARE THE "LOSSES" INCURRED THROUGH SHOPLIFTING AND  PERISHABLES

seems to me that the boffins are sitting around looking for ways to fleece their customers and increase their profits while paying lip service to conservation. PERHAPS WE SHOULD TAKE OUR WHISKY BOTTLES to the counter with us and transfer from the plastic bottles, LEAVING ANY SPILLS AND THE PLASTIC BOTTLES ON THE COUNTER?

I have a dinky wee mini fridge that runs off the car's cigarette lighter.  I could perhaps be persuaded to make my point by removing meat packaging and the poly tray, leaving that ON THE COUNTER  and the meat on a plate in the wee fridge/

Come to think of of it, I might just start emptying my whisky bottle now
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2009, 10:37:58 am »

If I could find the card reader I would post a picture of what just happened to my blue countdown chiller bags in the washing machine.

There are blue strings of melted and hardened plastic around the top of the outer bowl of the machine and a hole that is beyond patching in the bag. It is through the insulation and the lining.

The only part worth salvaging is the zip. Angry

I will be even crosser it I have to tip the machine upside down and pull bits out the the pump.

Looks like I am going to have to buy a decent soft sized chilly bag. Prefeable one designed to hold a meat tray or tubs of icecream rather than a sixpack or pair of six packs.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Nitpicker1
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2009, 10:55:12 am »

post a picture of what just happened to my blue countdown chiller bags in the washing machine.
oh-oh - you using HOT water, SweetP ?

if not, take the pic to the countdown, ask if they give refund, or  better still send it to fair go?

Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2009, 11:43:12 am »

I have a dinky wee mini fridge that runs off the car's cigarette lighter.  I could perhaps be persuaded to make my point by removing meat packaging and the poly tray, leaving that ON THE COUNTER  and the meat on a plate in the wee fridge/
This point brings to mind the polystrene meat trays, deli trays and yards of plastic wrap used in both depts.     What about the plastic and crap used to package just about everything we buy.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2009, 04:03:15 pm »

post a picture of what just happened to my blue countdown chiller bags in the washing machine.

oh-oh - you using HOT water, SweetP ?

No, it looks like it floated up and got caught up during the spin cycle.
The instructions on the bag - which I only looked at afterwards - said handwash only Undecided.

Why the heck would anyone want a shopping bag you can only handwash?

This point brings to mind the polystrene meat trays, deli trays and yards of plastic wrap used in both depts.     What about the plastic and crap used to package just about everything we buy.

I heartily agree Magoo. That stuff makes up the bulk of my rubbish. If it could be reduced I would go back to using council rubbish bags instead of renting the 3 bag capacity wheely bin.
Report Spam   Logged

wgtngirl
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2009, 04:13:19 pm »

The only meat trays I don't reuse are the chicken ones.  I give all the others a blimmin good clean in hot soapy water and then use them for putting things like homemade savouries, pizza's, biscuits, pies, etc onto.  Much easier than free-flow freezing in bags.
Report Spam   Logged
bennyboo
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2009, 10:24:45 pm »

HOW B STOOPID CAN YOU BE

YOU HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR PLASTIC BAGS EVER SINCE ADAM WAS A COWBOY.

DEMAND A  REBATE FOR USING YOUR OWN, OR ASK FOR A CARDBOARD BOX

Hillarious - the bags cost well under 1 cent each so thats not really going to hike the per item grocery prices. 

MINISTER QUESTIONED OVER PLASTIC BAG BACKDOWN
1 April 2009

ENVIRONMENT: Environment Minister Nick Smith faced more questions over his vetoed plastic bag initiative in Parliament on Wednesday.

Dr Smith caused a stir when he said he was investigating the introduction of a charge on all supermarket plastic bags.

Money generated by the user-pays scheme would go back to the supermarkets, he said.

However, Prime Minister John Key appeared to have a different position on such an initiative when later questioned about it.

"I’ve made it quite clear to the minister I won’t be supporting the introduction of a tax that is paid directly to supermarket chains," he said.

Mr Key agreed initiatives to reduce plastic bag use needed to be investigated.

Labour’s environment spokeswoman Nanaia Mahuta asked Dr Smith in Parliament today why he appeared to have backed down from his plan.

He said he was only ever interested in getting the Environment Ministry to investigate ways to reduce usage.

The National Government was about "voluntary measures and good financial incentives" for improving environmental behaviour, he said.

Ms Mahuta said it appeared Mr Key had taken to answering questions for his minister and unsuccessfully attempted to table written questions to Dr Smith which she said had been replied to with advocated answers from the Prime Minister’s office.

"The Prime Minister does not answer my written questions," Dr Smith said.

- NZPA

Money generated by the user-pays scheme would go back to the supermarkets, he said.

Aside from making it clear that he is not a business friendly person; if this is the level of honesty we can expect from the new PM then Im inclined to join the chorus of "Shonkey" - with a compulsory 5 cent sale at the till you're looking at about 25% of 5cents in GST and other taxes multiplied by number of bags - which is over a billion annually in NZ) -thats about $125,000 in additional taxes that govt would get.

Mr Key agreed initiatives to reduce plastic bag use needed to be investigated.

So $125,000 isnt enough?  Tax the bag more inconspicously where the consumer pays but - NITPICKER1 you were on to something - the cost of the taxed bags really will be built into your grocery shopping.  Suppose you could demand goverment give a rebate if you use your own bag but dont hold your breath.
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney

« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2009, 12:21:12 am »

Most people go by car to the supermarket.  If so, why not have a few decent cartons in your boot.   Plastic bags of shopping tip out and roll all over the boot by the time you get home anyway.   
Report Spam   Logged
bennyboo
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2009, 10:57:49 am »

The more I think about it the more I think how low and pathetic this tax is - and straight out of noo Labour UK books too, which for NZ National, makes it even more pathetic IMHO.  A minor irritation but real damp squib material. The stuff thats makes great statesmen LOL.

Ferney - cardboad boxes are just as recyclable as plastic bags (HDPE - the same plastic as milk bottles)... plus people on here have pointed to many ways the bags are used again - feel free to drive around with your boxes but there is no real environment problem in NZ.  It was Bangladesh that had the real environment problems in 1990's - banned plastic bags in preference to improving municipal waste facilites as far as I remember - bags were getting into drain systems and causing blockages during monsoon season which caused flooding...

Shonkey wants to tax the bags in NZ but now doesnt want the supermarkets getting the money (even though at least 12.5% would be GST and when the supermarkets said the money would be given to an environment charity) - the guy is a weasel as far as i can see and this is nothing short of a petty minded attack on a modern, extremely cheap and versatile product and a convenience for the vast majority of shoppers.

Jack the taxes Shonkey - I'd love to see supermarkets reduce the customers bill by 5 cents for every bag taken back to the shop and used again and still be make money while reducing the tax bill all round.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2009, 02:35:31 pm »

Benny, I use plastics bags unless its a big shop and then prefer to put groceries in the cartons as its easier.  Mentioned it for those that don't want to pay for bags.   
Plastic bags in landfill I don't see as a problem.  Its the bags that people throw out of cars, off boats or leave at beaches etc that annoys me.....along with their cans, cigarette butts flicked everywhere etc.   
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2009, 02:51:14 pm »

On Waitangi weekend I had reassure a girl that the jellyfish in the water in Garndener's Gap was a plastic bag. It can be very hard to tell the difference. Worse still I had to get all the kids out of the water after a boat pulled into the mouth of the Gap and then took off. The water went from clear to scummy with vege peeling and beer boxes and plastic strips floating past in seconds on the incoming tide.

This in an enviroment where there are no shops or rubbish bins and where we have to "pack out" any rubbish from what we "pack in". Ok we are a bit naughty and sometimes burn some of the burnables on the BBQ but not in the height of summer and not when the watertanks are low like it was that weekend.
Report Spam   Logged

Crusader
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2009, 07:21:24 pm »

Adding a cost to plastic bags is not going to be a deterrent for me. I hate everything this is to hate about grocery shopping. Having no plastic bags is going to make the whole process harder and more unbearable. Plastics bags are a convenience.
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2009, 07:27:43 pm »

On Waitangi weekend I had reassure a girl that the jellyfish in the water in Garndener's Gap was a plastic bag. It can be very hard to tell the difference.

Yep - try telling that to the sealife......

Adding a cost to plastic bags is not going to be a deterrent for me. I hate everything this is to hate about grocery shopping. Having no plastic bags is going to make the whole process harder and more unbearable. Plastics bags are a convenience.

Yep - they are a convenience - but that's all they are, and they can be replaced with something else which will also perform the same task.

I hate shopping as well - I'm a "In and Out" shopper - get in, get what I need and get out.
The 5 cent fee my not deter a lot of people but it will (should) help pay for the environmental damage that bag does.
Providing the $$ are channeled correctly.... which they probably aren't yet....

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: