Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 07:50:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Nick Smith wants us to pay 5c for plastic bags

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nick Smith wants us to pay 5c for plastic bags  (Read 2336 times)
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2009, 07:50:25 am »

Lol... TokGal - good to see you out of the acade!!!

Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2009, 07:53:11 am »

Bugger! You can see me there? Lol I shall have to put on the false nose and glasses  :ttng
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2009, 07:54:06 am »

PMSL.... at least you're having fun!

Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2009, 08:05:55 am »

Thanks TJ  YUMMMM
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Alicat
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2009, 11:45:03 am »

We lived across the road from a GHB grocery store (there's another name from the distant past) when I was a kid, so it was simply a matter of crossing the road with the groceries. The butchers shop was also just over the road and the greengrocers was just down the block. Yep....we lived next to a suburban shopping centre and the house we lived in then is long gone and replaced with shops.

I remember that shop. I also remember a younger brother of mine would be send to get the half loaf of white bread. It was half a Barracudda loaf. When he arrived home, the fluffy centre bit of the bread would have mysteriously been removed. He never knew how it happened of course  :nn
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2009, 01:21:22 pm »

Whatever happened to the half loaf?

I know Mum used to sell alot of them in the 80s when she worked at Lanes Bakery.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2009, 02:50:46 pm »

the fluffy centre bit of the bread would have mysteriously been removed ...

rings familiar with me too dont ask me how it happened but i did it once and managed to get the halves back in the white newsprint paper that the corner dairy had wrapped around the middle of the whole loaf ...  :lh1

from memory i think i got a smacking [ noS59 in those days ] with the plastic fly swapper ...   :hide

there was always a fight over who did get to have the fluffy slice toasted as well  ...

Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2009, 03:10:18 pm »

The centre of the bread .... my story to Mother was that I dropped it on the road and before I could get to it the sparrows did.

She wasnt convinced - that was one of those times when I copped a grandious thrashing with a dog chain.  :klnx
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Nitpicker1
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2009, 03:20:34 pm »

Whatever happened to the half loaf?

I know Mum used to sell alot of them in the 80s when she worked at Lanes Bakery.

then when sliced wrapped bread came along, we had half-n-half toast and sandwich?  These days ya can't do a good sammy with the thickness of "sandwich" bread - which was one of of the ways to make  an increase in sales:  we had TO BUY MORE BREAD to make the same number of sammys and that, it follows logically, was probably half the cause of obesity.

Betcha the bakeries won't want to return to the waferthin sliced bread where fillings were the bulk of the sandwich.

Aww shit, I could go on about bread and the way IT SUBSIDES INTO CARDBOARD when ya lay a knife on it, and what they did to it

Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2009, 05:47:19 pm »

They did bring back one extra thin sliced loaf - for awhile anyway. Great for asparagus rolls.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Nitpicker1
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2009, 09:15:02 pm »

even the bread bag has it's re-use here, for picking up doggy dooos. The camp is dog-friendly.

meanwhile an exerpt from today's news:

.....We encourage all retailers to focus on ways to encourage shoppers not to take a plastic bag if they don’t need one. Internationally there are many different ways to achieve this including bag charges, loyalty points, promotion of ecobags and other incentives.

“However, it is also important to realise that as people reduce their plastic bag consumption they start buying bin liners and kitchen tidies. Research by AC Nielsen for the Retailers Association finds there had been a 16% growth last year in unit sales of these often heavier gauge plastics last year.”

Mr Curtis says plastic bags represent less than 0.2% of waste to landfill and they usually end up there because they have got people’s domestic rubbish in them.

“We need to be much smarter in New Zealand about closing the loop and recognising that one person’s packaging waste is another person’s raw material. And from an environmental perspective, there is also no point taxing plastic bags only to let other, heavier gauge, plastic containers fill the vacuum.”....  http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/packaging-council-wary-about-side-effects-new-plastic-bag-campaign-95957
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I first used their socalled ecobags Pak'n'Save gave a $ discount, and supermarkets had a collection point for clean used bags.    :tntrm

Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2009, 08:40:16 am »

When I first used their socalled ecobags Pak'n'Save gave a $ discount, and supermarkets had a collection point for clean used bags.   

The f***ing council won't take them in their recycle bins. They won't take any flexible plastic numbered or not! :tntrm such packaging is the bulk of my landfill bound rubbish- not food scraps.

One of the reasons I am agin them is that no matter where I set them aside for reuse my husband bins them. I only end up get some now because unlike his car junk he studiously removes my stash of bags from the car and van and puts them back in the laundry. Not good when you arrive at the shop open the boot and no bag.
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2009, 10:29:01 am »

"Why isnt there any tea?"

"Well, I went down to the supermarket, but found someone had removed the bags I use for the groceries from the car-boot, so I came home again," should solve the problem after a couple of occasions.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2009, 11:14:58 am »

Shopping bag – Once was a tank top.
Materials – One tank top or singlet with the back neck at a similar depth to the front neck.  Sewing thread.
I did this using a sewing machine but you could hand sew it or use a hand held machine.
1.   Lay out your clean top.

2.   Fold back they front as shown to form sides. This works best if only the armhole width is folded back. In the case of this top the fold was 13cm (5 inches) from the side seam.

3.   Flip the flap formed on the front back over matching the creases to form a pleat. Repeat for the other side and pin. Both pleats should be equal and not over lap in the centre of the top.

4.   Sew along the hems using a stretch stitch or zigzag twice. Remember that this seam will end up taking a lot of weight.

5.   Your bag is now complete. Any waviness in the bottom (like on mine) will not be noticeable when the bag is full. If you like you can cut out the tag and decorate the front.

A word of warning – I used quite a large sized very stretchy top. That means it can hold a lot so be careful not to over load it. Lifting heavy bags can cause injury.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:18:47 pm by ssweetpea » Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2009, 11:26:46 am »

When the time comes that I cant find a supermarket that will provide me with plastic bags [which, as already pointed out, you pay for in the margin on the goods] I will take the trolly out to the car with the goods in, load them into boxes in the boot [as someone else has suggested] and leave the empty trolly rolling round the yard in the wind, to show my displeasure.

The day that I have to demean myself by packing my goods into a pair of underpants or singlet or whatever, is a day that it will become obvious to all that I am suffering from alzheimers.
Report Spam   Logged
Nitpicker1
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2009, 11:42:54 am »

Nice one ssweetp  :clps Shopping bag – Once was a tank top. I'm giving ya a applaud  4 that :blsm

When the time comes that I cant find a supermarket that will provide me with plastic bags [which, as already pointed out, you pay for in the margin on the goods] I will take the trolly out to the car with the goods in, load them into boxes in the boot [as someone else has suggested] and leave the empty trolly rolling round the yard in the wind, to show my displeasure.

The day that I have to demean myself by packing my goods into a pair of underpants or singlet or whatever, is a day that it will become obvious to all that I am suffering from alzheimers.

Awww c'mon, Yak, using a singlet would be as good as any protest imo.  I'd be inclined to simply knot it at the bottom to make it look worse. Mind you I would wheel it out in the trolley and consider leaving the trolley rolling about in the yard, as another part of the protest
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2009, 12:11:02 pm »

I was in The Warehouse this morning and they are announcing over their instore system that they will be charging 10 cents for each plastic bag used and donating the money to a worthy cause. 
Report Spam   Logged
Orchidoofus
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2009, 12:28:41 pm »

When I bought one of Te Warehouse's cotton bags, it was $0-99c.
But there was a placard on display that declared that
TWH would give you 20c off your next five purchases
if you brought your bag back into the store to use for your shopping.

Which effectively made the bag free.

But... I never did remember to take it back (it got used for storing cleaning rags in the hwc) to get my twenty cents.
And I don't know if that placard is still on display.

My Grandad ran a Four Square grocery store back in the 50s and 60s. He had bins under the counter of fried fruit. (We'd hide behind the curtain and scoff the dried apricots.)
He had an electric rotary blade slicer, and used to slice ham and bacon for customers, to order. (We'd sneak over to it - Not allowed - and pick the little crumbs.)
He used a wire with a handle on each end to cut the cheddar into pieces for each customer's order, which would be wrapped in waxed paper. (We'd sneak over to see if the tasting plug or any crumbs had been left behind.)
He sold biscuits loose, out of the square tins. The customer's order would be put into a brown paper bag, which he'd spin and twist the corners to fold and close the top. (We'd sneak into the back shed and check all the empty tins, hoping for the occasional left over biscuit.)
He sold by weight sugar, flour, salt, rolled oats, tea (leaf form, not tea-bags), dessicated coconut etc. Same snappy little twist of the brown paper bag.
Granma baked the cakes and scones, gems, pastries.(We'd duck into the kitchen as she delivered them into the shop, hoping to find a leftover crumb or a bowl to scrape.)

Boy, we were sneaky little ratbags! I bet they knew damn well, but we were never punished. Maybe we didn't get away with much after all.

Customers brought in shopping bags of cotton or linen,woven string, or baskets. No Plastic. Hell, there wasn't even tinfoil!
Report Spam   Logged
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2009, 07:59:21 pm »

I would pay $5 to see somone put a plastic bag over nick smiths head  :blsm
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Nitpicker1
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2009, 05:57:21 pm »

printed on a bag from Dunedin's Mega Mitre 10

THIS IS A TOTALLY DEGRADEABLE PLASTIC BAG
PLEASE REUSE THIS BAG IN THE INTERESTS OF THE ENVIRONMENT   

Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2009, 11:15:48 pm »

Shopping bag – Once was a tank top.

:huh

steel my idea why dont you ssweetpea ...  post pretty pictures call it  a Tank Top [ mine was a Singlet ] and you get Plaudits ....

:bht
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2009, 10:26:20 am »

I didn't steal your idea. It was one I had been sitting on for awhile. That particular top was one I fished out of my drawer at the beginning of summer wondering what I was going to do with it give that it was still in good shape and fit but I fry badly in sleeveless tops especially ones with low backs. Then there was the pinkish colour.... not a good look with a red face and sunburn.

It had been sitting by the sewing machine ever since I noticed that those plasitic shopping bags were the same shape.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2009, 02:00:48 pm »

I was naughty today - went to a shop for one thing - he asked me if I wanted a plastic bag.

I said yes please - Ive decided to buck the campaign - we need plastic bags for the kitchen rubbish  :-A
Report Spam   Logged

Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2009, 04:11:06 pm »

we need plastic bags for the kitchen rubbish 

Yep, that's what I use them for as well. Mind you, I checked out the prices of kitchen tidy bags. The supermarket bags at 5 cents each are still cheaper. (Free is better though  :ubtcha )
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2009, 04:54:35 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: