Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 01:38:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

How do I stop a puppy from running around. (Insert Tui ad)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I stop a puppy from running around. (Insert Tui ad)  (Read 513 times)
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« on: March 28, 2009, 02:42:23 pm »

Ok, I picked up Tim's pup from Hastings today. It jumped off the front of his quad on Tuesday and he ran it over  :as.
Apparently he's not going to make a good shepherd because he threw it on the back and headed home hell for leather and took it straight into the vet (he says it hardly yelped at all but he completely freaked)
So I'm babysitting for the weekend - under strict instructions that he isn't supposed to run around (FFS he's six months old) but the minute we got here, he took off outside with my two rolling aound and playing. I've kept them ALL confined for an hour or so, but the whining of three dogs at the door was a bit much. The damn things been sleeping on his bed and lazing on the couch since they got to Hastings so I've decided if his legs hurting he'll let me know.

Hahaha and just as an aside -- Tim has 3 dogs. Blue (the pup), Ash (his H/A -bitch) and Quinn (H/D -dog). On Tuesday he runs over his pup, on Wednesday his in-season bitch chews out of her kennel and gets knotted with his heading dog. :larf Perhaps the boy needs to get a job in an office :bgrn
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Magoo
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 03:37:39 pm »

:dogrn
I got told the same thing when I took these two pups for neutering.   Don't let them run around for 1 week said the vet.  Right!  don't let them lick the stitches.  Right!  They were like energizer bunnies.  In the end I just let them go for it.  I found they sat quiet when they ran out of steam and never did themselves any harm.    Good luck if you find a method.  Short of tranquilizing I think your puppy will let you know if he hurts.      What a sweetie you are taking care of the nursing.
Report Spam   Logged
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 04:36:22 pm »

What a sweetie you are taking care of the nursing.

LOL at this stage it's the closest I have to grandchildren  :as. I do have one on the way, but I have a feeling my house will always be full of pets (mine and others) as well as any grandchildren I can score on the way . :dncr
Report Spam   Logged

Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 04:39:31 pm »

And at this stage he's disdained his blanket and is sprawled out on the couch . Son has already told me - if he ain't gonna be a sheepdog he is either going to be PTS or coming home to be a pet at Mum's house.    Gee - wonder which one it would be LOL!
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:56:03 pm »

I got a feeling that the dog may pick you. :larf   I always reckoned a home wasn't a home unless it had a revolving door for whatever came flying through it.   
Report Spam   Logged
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 05:04:33 pm »

put him in a cage and ask the vet for some tranks if the vet wants him to not run about, if caging is not option at least keep him isolated from the other dogs during his recovery,
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 05:44:12 pm »

I guess the obvious is to tie him somewhere - cage him or in the laundry - and when he wants out for a pee, snip on a lead.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 05:53:02 pm »

you want a cat or dog to not lick wounds or stitches use a bucket or cplastic container of appropriate size cut a hole on bottom and attach around neck like a funnel so they cannot get at anything. make sure that is big enough to go over food and water dish so they can eat and drink but they will be unable to lick stitches as funnel will prevent them getting at it.
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 06:31:06 pm »

Well PMSL  the self regulating thing worked well. He spent heaps of time on the couch, then followed me to the kitchen and curled up in the corner. Went out, had a pee and a sniff, came in looking hungry ( don't ask - I have 5 kids I know the look) so I gave them all a couple of bikkies. I turn around and he's pinched another one out of the bag. He took it down VERY quietly to the couch and had a good munch!

Oh  and he's stopped limping (Son said he stopped by Friday unless he thought he'd get some mileage - now I know what he means :bgrn)

But he is SERIOUSLY cute!!
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 07:48:53 pm »

I had a lab used to limp if there was milage in it.  But she could never keep it straight in her head which leg she was supposed to be limping on.  Randomly she would limp on any of the four, only to be a box of fluffies as soon as the sympathy nosh was devoured.

Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 09:46:42 am »

It doesn't take long for them to train us. :bwto
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 01:05:42 pm »

Talking of dogs, anyone know how much to neuter a dog? (not a puppy.)
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 06:23:18 pm »

I was just checking back and see I paid $140 for each of my pups  TokGal in February. I don't know if it is more for an adult dog.   
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 07:16:06 am »

Thanks for that, just looking at different things that might stop the dog from his barking, somebody suggested getting him de-sexed.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 09:35:04 am »

It could quieten him down.    Depending on the type of dog the barking could be boredom.  Some breeds take a lot of amusing.  Is he one of these or just one of the happy chaps who bark at the birds, leaves flying about and generally everything that moves.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: