Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 05:07:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Fly trap plant

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fly trap plant  (Read 964 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: March 28, 2009, 01:03:12 pm »

I was in the cafe that is opposite the main door of the Warehouse at the Base the other day.  I noticed a couple of plants Id never seen before.  They had purple/reddy pitchers on them about 4 - 6 inches high, and about 2 inches wide.
The leaves were long and skinny, green, with the tip of the leaf having a long dried end about 3 - 5 inches long.

Ive done my time working in nurserys and have had thousands of plants in my days - I like unusual plants.

This Id never seen before.

Today, wandering through the Frankton Markets, bugger me I spot it sitting behind a seller (obviously sold!!)  So I asked him about it and find out he gets his from the lady up the road who sells the socks!!  LOL shes an aquaintance (who is a regular extra on Shortland Street) .. so I asked her about it .. she doesnt know what its called but is gonna check her garden to see if she has any more.

Have any of you seen it before ... Id like a name .. flowers are like this ... but this looks like its outside

Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:01:41 pm »

pitcher plants....venus fly trap
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:06:03 pm »

Pitcher plant they are carniverous.......... venus fly trap is similar but usuall not a pitcher...here is the gen.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcher_Plants
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 03:56:31 pm »

Hey cool!!

What an interesting plant - will fit in the deck very well thank you.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:06:53 pm »

Watch the dogs if it gets too big :dogrn LOL
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 07:58:33 pm »

:larf
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:29:04 am »

Ive got it!  Smiley

2 plants - one looks to be struggling with the transplant, the other is fine.

Picked up a strong looking bouganvillea too, the original one.  Built to cope with strong winds and salt air.

I dunno bout the dog though, hes gonna have to find another place to be tied up, I want to put it on one corner of the deck, protected in the main from direct hits of weather from the west, thats his corner  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 04:11:47 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

WOW, What a Ride!"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: