Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 03:55:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

What's the Weather like at your place?

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the Weather like at your place?  (Read 30330 times)
Alicat
« Reply #1275 on: May 16, 2015, 08:50:01 am »

Roll Eyes
I think our drought has broken

In dramatic fashion!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #1276 on: May 16, 2015, 08:51:46 am »

It rained heavily in Upper Hutt and the Wellington Area again over night. There's a bit of blue sky this morning but we have more rain forecast every day for the next few days.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #1277 on: May 16, 2015, 10:10:41 am »

Back home. 
Apart from my best friend dying on the operating table in Wellington, our daughter in law nearly dying in childbirth and our newborn granddaughters future uncertain at this point in time, someone crashing into the driver door of my waggon, all seems well. 
Its not raining...  I suppose its being saved for Tuesdays funeral.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #1278 on: May 16, 2015, 10:31:55 am »

Holy hell - the sun is out!!!

It's a bit windy but the sun is out. I know it won't last.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1279 on: May 18, 2015, 09:20:49 pm »

After the crappy weather of the last few days (including the big storm on the Wellington side of the ranges last week), it was a lovely day on both sides of the ranges today.

This was the Waingawa River looking towards the Tararua Ranges mid-morning....

Passing through Trentham, heading towards Wellington, late-morning....

Crossing the Hutt River near Silverstream, looking up-river towards the Tararua Ranges, early-afternoon....

Passing through Trentham again, heading towards Wairarapa, early-afternoon....

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1280 on: May 19, 2015, 10:18:42 pm »

It was a rather gloomy day outside my moving office window today, although not quite as gloomy on the Wairarapa side of the ranges compared to the Wellington side.

Wellington Harbour and the Hutt River looking towards the harbour, early-afternoon....

Wairarapa about an hour later....

Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #1281 on: May 20, 2015, 08:32:16 am »

It's a bit chilly here this morning. I think it has more to do with me working night shift. The old body clock plays tricks. I have the heater on and will be heading off to bed soon. I'm on days off now. I think we've got some not to bad weather coming up over the next few days.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #1282 on: May 25, 2015, 01:10:26 pm »

In Adelaide this morning, it is cool and overcast with promise of showers

Sheesh,Yak!
 Here I have been wrapped in my own wee cocoon of self-pity wishing I was anywhere else but here,
then when I came in to grizzle about snow I find this

Back home. 
Apart from my best friend dying on the operating table in Wellington, our daughter in law nearly dying in childbirth and our newborn granddaughters future uncertain at this point in time, someone crashing into the driver door of my waggon, all seems well. 

I hope things are resolving themselves for you and yours, that fair weather is on it's way for yas and that whoever crashed the truck was insured.

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Alicat
« Reply #1283 on: May 25, 2015, 03:54:37 pm »

Back home. 

Sorry to hear of the rough time you and your family are having. I hope things look up soon and that your wee granddaughter's health improves.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1284 on: May 25, 2015, 08:23:10 pm »

Brrrrrrrr....it has been bloody cold today.

I got up at 5:30am to take a piddle, then decided to chuck some bread out for the birds before going back to bed. I opened the back-door and stepped outside to discover it was snowing (in Masterton). After chucking some bread out the door, I went back to bed and got up again about 8:15am. By then the clouds were lifting and it was a nice fine day although bloody freezing. Any snow in Masterton had melted, but the hills all around were covered in the white stuff.

Then, later in the morning I heard on the radio it was snowing down to sea level in Napier. I guess that's climate change (caused by global warming) for you, eh?

Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #1285 on: May 26, 2015, 01:34:21 pm »

I planned on sleeping in this morning as I'm on swing shift but noooooooooooo I woke up early. I stayed in bed until 8.30am then got up to feed the cats. I heated up the wheat pack for the back injury, turned the panel heater on in the lounge then went back to bed and tried to get more sleep. It was 2 degrees. Not as bad as some places but it was still chilly. Even at 8.30am the sun was out and the sky blue. Beautiful day.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1286 on: May 27, 2015, 09:42:53 pm »

I've gone from wearing t-shirts with a light cardy to wearing merino with jumper and scarf in 24 hours.

A beanie even went on the head on Tuesday - this is after not wearing one in Auckland at all last winter or spring.

I told Sp1 that it isn't really cold until there is snow on Mt Pirongia.....however I might revise that given that it isn't even June yet.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1287 on: May 28, 2015, 12:52:35 am »

Well, it snowed twice in Wairarapa in May (so far).

The first time was during the first week of the month. We went from 25°C temperatures one day to snow all over the hills the next day.

Then, it snowed again on Monday morning, including in Masterton itself. The really strange thing though was that the Tararua Ranges above the bushline only got a very light dusting of snow, but the foothills were covered in it, as were the hills to the east. Further south, the Rimutaka Ranges got well-coated with snow on the Wairarapa side, but only lightly covered on the Wellington side. North of Masterton, Mount Bruce was covered in the white stuff.

Temperatures are down to only 1-2°C at night in Wairarapa. Definitely a real early start to winter.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1288 on: May 29, 2015, 04:47:53 pm »

Last Monday morning (May 25th), it snowed for about two hours in Masterton from about 4am until about 6am. None of it settled on the ground in the town, but the hills all around got a good coating of the white stuff, although higher up the ranges only received a very light dusting.

These photos were taken on the Wairarapa side of the ranges later in the morning, with the fourth photo showing the eastern side of the Rimutaka Range....

Heading down the hill into Upper Hutt....

A light dusting of snow on Mount Matthews (the highest peak in the Rimutaka Range) as well as along the Orongaronga Range....

Looking across the harbour towards Wellington city....

A couple of views taken in the Hutt Valley looking towards the Tararua Ranges....

The following day (Tuesday, May 26th) Wellington Harbour was a real picture, although it was rather chilly....

On the Wairarapa side of the ranges, the Tauherenikau River, looking downstream from the railway bridge....

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1289 on: May 29, 2015, 04:49:14 pm »

Another beautiful day today, although very chilly in Masterton this morning. A bit of cloud over the ranges at the bottom of the North Island, but a lovely day in Napier (where I am now).

Climbing out of Wellington over the harbour late this morning....

The view from my hotel room in Napier....

Hawke Bay from Napier's Marine Parade beach, looking towards Cape Kidnappers....

Across the road from my hotel....

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1290 on: May 31, 2015, 12:23:54 pm »

The last day of autumn in Napier....tomorrow is the first official day of winter.

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1291 on: June 02, 2015, 04:45:22 pm »

Following a great (weatherwise) Queen's Birthday Weekend, the weather turned to crap today.

These photographs were taken departing Napier (Ahuriri) and flying past Hastings (Heretaunga) this morning....

Wellington (Te Whanganui-a-Tara/Pōneke) was the same. As is Masterton (Whakaoriori) this afternoon....

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1292 on: June 06, 2015, 04:40:05 pm »

Brrrrrrrrr....it was frosty (and a wee bit foggy) in Wairarapa early this morning, as seen from my moving office windows....

Over in Wellington, it was a wee bit warmer.

It turned into a nice day in Wairarapa by the time I got back, although it has since clouded over.
Report Spam   Logged

hdrider
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #1293 on: June 08, 2015, 05:20:56 pm »

Great pics, had to do a turn and burn last weekend...Auckland to Wellington, just 2 hours of business then back to Auckland.Great scenary as well but riding through the desert road/ Waiouru was a real dick shrinker bloody cold at 120kph
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1294 on: June 10, 2015, 01:25:21 pm »

from The Dominion Post....

Wellington lit up by red sky at night

By NEIL RATLEY | 7:57PM - Tuesday, 09 June 2015

The Wellington sky above the Railway Station glows pink.
The Wellington sky above the Railway Station glows pink.

THE SKY above Wellington turned into a light show of pink, purple and red.

Captured on mobile devices and shared on social media, the “red sky at night” delighted and captivated those who saw it.

For some it was the “prettiest” they had ever seen Wellington's night sky while for others it heralded the start of the “apocalypse”.

But for the boffins at the MetService, there was a scientific explanation.

MetService Meteorologist Arno Dyason said: “When light enters the atmosphere, the shorter wavelength blue light scatters. During the morning and evening, when the sun rays travels through a longer part of the earth's atmosphere, all the blue light is scattered away leaving only the longer wavelength red light,” he said.

“This is why there is a red tinge or pink over Wellington railway station tonight.”

The old weather saying goes:

Red sky at night, Shepherd's delight.

Red sky in the morning, Sailor's warning…

But what does it mean?

Meteorologist Ross Marsden has written on the MetService website that red sky at night refers to the setting sun lighting up the cloud of the weather system as it moves away eastwards.

“A substantial part of the sky is in red and orange tones, not just the sky in the west. The shepherd can expect a peaceful night in the open, and not be too concerned about wind and rain.”

However, it may not always be wise to trust the skies because MetService is warning of gale northwesterlies, rising to severe gales, gusting to 120km/h in exposed places on Tuesday night before easing on Wednesday afternoon. And some rain is also predicted.

While a red sky and night is forecasting delight, a red sky in the morning is a different matter.

The red sky warned the sailor of the approaching weather — strong, possibly gale-force winds, bad visibility in rain, and possibly thunderstorms, Marsden said.

Shorten sail! Set course for a sheltered cove!

New Zealand MetService

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/69248768/wellington-lit-up-by-red-sky-at-night
Report Spam   Logged

hdrider
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #1295 on: June 10, 2015, 06:15:33 pm »

shit that's a lot of purple for wellington ! reminds me of the old days,does anyone remember Wellingtons infamous Purple onion nightclub??
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1296 on: June 16, 2015, 02:18:49 pm »

It must be wintertime at my place in Wairarapa....

(all four of those photographs were taken from a locomotive this morning towards the end of my early-shift as the train I was driving approached Masterton)
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #1297 on: June 17, 2015, 09:18:42 am »

It was chilly when I arrived home from my late shift last night. It has been 2 degrees overnight - chilly but not as cold as some places.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1298 on: June 17, 2015, 09:47:22 pm »

BRRRRRRRRRR....a bit frosty this morning in Masterton....

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1299 on: June 22, 2015, 02:57:35 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: