Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 04:20:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

What's the Weather like at your place?

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 58   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the Weather like at your place?  (Read 31991 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #1250 on: February 03, 2015, 10:29:56 am »

I am delighted that our microclimate has delivered the goods as we had ordered; a few days of thick misty fog then last night about 15mm mostly fine today and more to come in the next few days, as good as retail therapy.

Back to 4 layers of clothes for and off to town for me.    Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1251 on: March 08, 2015, 08:51:24 am »

Valid to 9:06pm Sunday 8 Mar 2015

SEVERE WEATHER WATCH FOR ISSUED BY METSERVICE AT 0906hrs 08-Mar-2015

WIND AND RAIN HAS EASED, ALL WATCHES CANCELLED

NO FURTHER SEVERE WEATHER WATCHES WILL BE ISSUED

http://metservice.com/warnings/severe-weather-watch
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1252 on: March 08, 2015, 10:33:42 am »

Yesterday the weather was weird.

Hot and sunny one moment, then dark skies & pissing down with rain the next.

Then back to hot & sunny again, followed by more dark skies & pissing down with rain.

High winds accompanied the schizophrenic weather.

Then, last night there was a big thunderstorm somewhere. I could hear it in the distance.

Today is mostly cloudy, but the sun is shining through gaps in the clouds when it can. No rain though, and no wind....it's dead calm.

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
reality
« Reply #1253 on: March 08, 2015, 10:52:49 am »

Bangkok, Thailand.....a steamy 35, hazy, fine and still....😩

Rather be back in the best country in the world😜
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1254 on: March 14, 2015, 07:49:04 pm »

Latest on cyclone Pam:

http://blog.metservice.com/

Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #1255 on: March 15, 2015, 02:09:21 am »

Siem Reap, Cambodia...28C, still and fine and dry....beautiful day....to nice to be working😜
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #1256 on: March 18, 2015, 10:16:44 pm »

Phnom Penh, capital of Cambodia...29c, fine , light breeze, hazy.

....camp S-21 , and .."The Killing Fields"

..a very good and compelling lesson why communism does not work....1.7 million dead... men , women and children starved to death....or beaten to death to save bullets...

..and  so recently...only from 1975 to 1979

Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge managed to hide it all from the ( civilised ) world😳

Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1257 on: April 03, 2015, 02:41:05 pm »

Yesterday the weather was weird.

Hot and sunny one moment, then dark skies & pissing down with rain the next.

Then back to hot & sunny again, followed by more dark skies & pissing down with rain.

High winds accompanied the schizophrenic weather.

Then, last night there was a big thunderstorm somewhere. I could hear it in the distance.

Today is mostly cloudy, but the sun is shining through gaps in the clouds when it can. No rain though, and no wind....it's dead calm.

RURAL MONTHLY OUTLOOK APRIL 2015 

LOOKING BACK AT MARCH
Low pressures affected New Zealand during March, bringing healthy rainfalls to most locations. The exception was the eastern South Island and Wairarapa, where rainfall was patchy and below normal. Soils in Marlborough, Canterbury and parts of Otago continue in significant deficit. Northwesterlies characterised the start of March, bringing rain into western regions, as well as Nelson and Marlborough. Afternoon showers produced patchy rain for some inland spots during the second week, while Cyclone Pam produced useful rain for farmers in the northeast North Island mid-month. Lows returned to close the month, delivering a showery top-up for most. It was a warmer than usual March, except for Gisborne and the southeast South Island (who had near average temperatures).

from http://www.metservice.com/national/home

meanwhile
http://videowall.accuweather.com/detail/videos/top-videos/video/4149315457001/sandstorm-moves-from-saudi-arabia-to-dubai?autoStart=true

Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #1258 on: April 04, 2015, 06:43:35 pm »

Hanoi, capital of Vietnam....beautiful old city...very busy town...

28c, fine, and light breeze....bia Hoi ....local fresh beer brewed daily 25cents...goes down well (between jobs of course😜)
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #1259 on: April 12, 2015, 11:55:07 pm »

Cat Ba Island, Halong Bay, Vietnam........28c clear and calm.....but down to only 23 at night😳

...vast quantities of wood burnt domestically everyday for cooking and heat😳

......beautiful part of the world.....but as always....work must come first😳
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1260 on: April 17, 2015, 02:58:27 pm »

ROCK IN A STREAM
(click on the picture to read the news story)
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #1261 on: May 02, 2015, 02:50:53 pm »

Bangkok, Thailand.....a steaming hot 36c......hazy, smog, still, good weather for cold beer, spicy food😜
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1262 on: May 02, 2015, 08:19:43 pm »

Bangkok, Thailand.....a steaming hot 36c......hazy, smog, still, good weather for cold beer, spicy food

Some photographs would be nice so we can see you aren't bullshitting....
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1263 on: May 02, 2015, 08:19:49 pm »

Some photographs taken yesterday (May 1st) showing the weather at the bottom of New Zealand's North Island, travelling alongside the western shoreline of Wellington Harbour, then crossing the Hutt River near Silverstream....

Early this morning (May 2nd), travelling southwest through the Wairarapa countryside and up the hill past Lake Wairarapa....

Also this morning, on the other side of the ranges heading into Wellington alongside the harbour, then the approach to Wellington Railway Station....

On the way home again and back out in the country in the Mangaroa Valley not far before passing through the 8.8km-long (5½-miles) Rimutaka Tunnel to Wairarapa...

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1264 on: May 06, 2015, 09:31:19 pm »

It was a rather grey day at the bottom of the North Island of NZ today. Later in the day it turned to heavy rain on the Wellington side of the ranges, although there was only light drizzle in Wairarapa.

The Waiohine River valley in Wairarapa this morning....

Autumn colours at Woodside....

Autumn colours on the other side of the ranges at Upper Hutt, late-morning....

Wellington Harbour just before lunchtime....

The Hutt River looking north from Pomare early afternoon....

Back on the Wairarapa side of the ranges, a rainbow over Lake Wairarapa with the Aorangi Ranges in the background....

The Waingawa River valley looking towards the Tararua Ranges late afternoon....

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1265 on: May 07, 2015, 09:21:16 pm »

I never get sick of the view outside my office window when I'm at work....it is forever changing.

Another overcast day in Wairarapa today, with rain on the Wellington side of the ranges. However, the rivers were in bank-to-bank flood mode in Wairarapa, so it was obviously pissing down in the Tararua Ranges. The Hutt River was really high too.

I chased this rainbow from just outside Masterton all the way down through the Wairarapa valley this morning, and up the hill into the Rimutaka Ranges until about a kilometre before the Rimutaka Tunnel, when it disappeared. At times I could almost see the two pots of gold at either end of the rainbow....that's how close they were. Heading up the hill into the ranges, one end of the rainbow was literally right in front of the locomotive keeping pace with the train. If there had been a pot of gold there, I would have been looking straight at it about thirty metres in front of me....

Heading back to Wairarapa early afternoon near Silverstream in the Hutt Valley....

Departing Masterton late afternoon on a second return trip to Wellington....

When I popped out of the Rimutaka Tunnel on the Wairarapa side early this evening, the sky was full of stars, so it looks as though the bad weather has gone away.

I've got five days off now....back to work early next Wednesday.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1266 on: May 09, 2015, 06:42:45 pm »

Today was a gorgeous late-autumn day in Wairarapa at the bottom of NZ's North Island. A great day to head down to Palliser Bay.

Here are a couple of photographs looking towards the west, the first from Lake Ferry looking across Lake Onoke towards Mount Matthews (the highest peak in the Rimutaka Range), with the second taken from the road to Ngawi looking across the western side of Palliser Bay towards Turikirae Head....

In the opposite direction, this is looking towards the beach settlement of Humenga and Te Humenga Point....

The fishing village of Ngawi is the bulldozer capital of New Zealand (they use them to launch boats)....

The road from Ngawi to Cape Palliser is a bit rough & ready in places....

Cape Palliser is the southern-most point of NZ's North Island (Te Ika a Maui) and its most famous feature is the iconic lighthouse....

Travelling back from Cape Palliser towards Ngawi, you can see the South Island (Te Wai Pounamu) and Kaikoura Ranges in the distance....

Finally, three photos taken from the Wharekauhau side of Lake Onoke late-afternoon looking towards Cape Palliser, Lake Ferry and the Aorangi Range....

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1267 on: May 10, 2015, 05:17:57 pm »

Yet more beautiful autumn weather in Wairarapa today.

A couple of photographs taken near Ngatoka on the road to Castlepoint....

Mid-afternoon at Castlepoint....a magical late-autumn day and another iconic lighthouse on the wild Wairarapa coast....

Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #1268 on: May 11, 2015, 10:22:28 am »

In Adelaide this morning, it is cool and overcast with promise of showers
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1269 on: May 14, 2015, 02:46:06 pm »

What a day at the bottom of the North Island!

I turned up to work at 4:00AM this morning to discover a yard full of rakes of passenger cars where they shouldn't be, locomotives likewise where the shouldn't be, and a derailed locomotive “in the dirt” at the south end of the yard stradling a set of badly-damaged points and completely blocking the entrance to the south-end of the security cage where we lock passenger trains up overnight, supposedly safe from tagers. Bugger!

So there was nothing for it but to sort out a concist for the first train out of Wairarapa, bound for Wellington. Because every road in the yard was blocked, and the locomotives that weren't derailed were at the wrong end, it involved some extremely complicated and creative shunting to dig-out the right set, get a locomotive on the correct end, and get it to the platform, all the while endeavering to not snooker any further moves for the second passenger train out of the place. Because of the derailed locomotive, it was obvious that the third passenger train would not be going anywhere.

I finally managed to get everything sorted out and the first train at the platform only five minutes before it was scheduled to depart (due out at 5:45AM). By the time I then sorted out the paperwork, the train finally got away only four minutes late, which I thought was a pretty good effort, considering.

I ran the first train down through Wairarapa and ended up with a much bigger passenger load than normal, as most of the regular commuters would have started receiving automatically-generated text messages from about 5:00AM onwards warning them about the cancellation of the third train, so many people turned up to catch the earlier train rather than put up with the anticipated “crush” on the second train.

However, so far, so good — weatherwise — it was mostly fine in Wairarapa, although with the occasional passing light shower.

Out of the Rimutaka Tunnel on the Wellington side and it was pissing down so hard in the Mangaroa Valley that the windscreen wipers couldn't cope. After picking up passengers at Maymorn, it was through the second tunnel to Timberlea (a suburb of Upper Hutt) and down the hill to Upper Hutt central. It was absolutely pissing down all the way down the hill until just before Upper Hutt station.

From Upper Hutt into Wellington, the weather wasn't too bad, although the Hutt River was in pretty full-on flood from bank-to-bank, and I could hear on the radio all about the chaos in Kapiti, with motorists stranded and trains stopped by flooding and slips.

I made it into Wellington and after the usual turn-around, got out of there and headed for home. I had an uneventual run up the Hutt Valley in continuous rain, although it wasn't too heavy. Up the hill and through the first tunnel to the Mangaroa Valley where the rain had eased, although the Mangaroa River was in flood. Through the big Rimutaka Tunnel to Wairarapa and the train emerged into a nice fine, although overcast day. I made it home to Masterton with no dramas, and the Wairarapa rivers were only carrying slightly higher than normal flows.

After doing the turnaround, I stepped off and headed out the gate....another driver took over for the second return trip to Wellington of that particular train concist.

Now I hear things have totally turned to custard in Wellington and Kapiti, with both SH1 and SH2 closed, and all railway lines shut by the weather, flooding and slips.

Yet here in Wairarapa, we are only getting occasional very light passing showers. I guess we are being shelted from the weather-bomb by the big mountain ranges separating us from Wellington and Kapiti.

STUCK IN THE CITY

DON'T GO HOME

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1270 on: May 15, 2015, 08:56:13 am »

...a yard full of rakes of passenger cars where they shouldn't be, locomotives likewise where the shouldn't be, and a derailed locomotive “in the dirt” at the south end of the yard stradling a set of badly-damaged points and completely blocking the entrance to the south-end of the security cage where we lock passenger trains up overnight, supposedly safe from tagers. Bugger! ...

UMMMM  those heavy bits of machinery FLOATED  ! ?

or

vandals

or

Poltergeists ? 

Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #1271 on: May 15, 2015, 07:32:53 pm »

I worked early shift yesterday. It wasn't that flash driving to work at 5.30am. It started to turn to custard fairly quickly. Some late shift staff weren't able to make it to work because of road closures. I was due to finish at 4.00pm but they told me to go home at 3.15pm. At that stage SH 2 at the Ngauranga Interchange had re-opened (again) but just before I made it there they had to close the road again. (Even though it was closed at Petone, I had planned on diverting through there, into Lower Hutt then back onto SH 2 a little further north). I had to head up SH 1 Ngauranga with the intent of cutting through Whitby at the Police College then taking SH 58 over Haywards Hill. Fat chance. Every man and his bloody dog had that idea.

I left Wellington CBD at 3.15pm and arrived home in Upper Hutt at 8.00pm.

It was easier and quicker driving home tonight as a lot of commuters had stayed home today.

Tomorrow is another day
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #1272 on: May 15, 2015, 07:32:54 pm »

I worked early shift yesterday. It wasn't that flash driving to work at 5.30am. It started to turn to custard fairly quickly. Some late shift staff weren't able to make it to work because of road closures. I was due to finish at 4.00pm but they told me to go home at 3.15pm. At that stage SH 2 at the Ngauranga Interchange had re-opened (again) but just before I made it there they had to close the road again. (Even though it was closed at Petone, I had planned on diverting through there, into Lower Hutt then back onto SH 2 a little further north). I had to head up SH 1 Ngauranga with the intent of cutting through Whitby at the Police College then taking SH 58 over Haywards Hill. Fat chance. Every man and his bloody dog had that idea.

I left Wellington CBD at 3.15pm and arrived home in Upper Hutt at 8.00pm.

It was easier and quicker driving home tonight as a lot of commuters had stayed home today.

Tomorrow is another day
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1273 on: May 16, 2015, 08:15:44 am »

Roll Eyes
I think our drought has broken
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #1274 on: May 16, 2015, 08:50:01 am »

Roll Eyes
I think our drought has broken

In dramatic fashion!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 58   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: