Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 01:36:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

5.7 Magnitude quake, 8km deep and centred 30km east of Seddon

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5.7 Magnitude quake, 8km deep and centred 30km east of Seddon  (Read 1830 times)
Alicat
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 08:10:50 am »

I'm pleased I don't have to head into Wellington CBD today - I'm on rostered days off and not back on until tomorrow morning for a 6.30am start.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 08:16:18 am »

The quakes aren't really bothering me as much as the fucken dogs in the neighbourhood. I swear if some dog owners don't start developing a sense of owner responsibility and shut their mutts up, I will!

We had the same issue here.  What the hell kind of owner doesn't go out and settle the dogs?  Mind you, when one of ours was getting a bit too jittery, I did teach her to snarl at the ground.  Funniest sight ever to see a dog with her snout pressed to the soil, snarling at the wobbles.   And then the icing on the cake was her 'chuffing' when the wobbling stopped.  She obviously thought she'd conquered the beast.  Grin

Someone posted the rider was missing from the horse on the Cenotaph.  True?

Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 08:43:47 am »

Someone posted the rider was missing from the horse on the Cenotaph.  True?

Haven't heard that and I'm surprised it wasn't on TV One News on Breakfast if it is true.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 09:50:07 am »

We are supposed to be flying in to Wellington tonight from Australia, staying in the Ibus  [I think it is] and leaving for points north tomorrow.
Whats the situation with travel etc?
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 11:14:56 am »

We are supposed to be flying in to Wellington tonight from Australia, staying in the Ibus  [I think it is] and leaving for points north tomorrow.
Whats the situation with travel etc?

Wellington Airport is open. Parts of Featherston Street have been closed off (Ibis is on Featherston Street). I will see what I can find out for you.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 11:19:01 am »

OK - just spoke with the Receptionist at IBIS - all up and running and no problems there.
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 01:48:06 pm »

Lots of coverage about Wellington. Not much about Marlborough, you know the area they actually eventuate? Oh well looking at the map it looks like they are starting to move closer to Wellington. I guess if that is what Wellingtonians want, then here they come!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 01:53:20 pm »

Lots of coverage about Wellington. Not much about Marlborough, you know the area they actually eventuate? Oh well looking at the map it looks like they are starting to move closer to Wellington. I guess if that is what Wellingtonians want, then here they come!

No - not what we want at all - the media are the ones doing all the reporting.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 01:53:26 pm »

A new news release is available for you to view on the Police website:

Title: Wellington police support earthquake response

Wellington District police are supporting Civil Defence, Wellington City Council and other emergency services following the 6.5 magnitude earthquake which struck the Wellington region at 5.10pm today.

Police have assisted in evacuation of a number of buildings in the Wellington CBD and established cordons on streets where buildings need to be assessed.

Acting District Commander Superintendent Sue Schwalger says extra police staff from within Wellington district have been deployed in the city and police will retain a high profile presence in the CBD overnight.

“Police are working closely with Civil Defence and other emergency services as we assess the impact of tonight’s earthquake on the city.

A number of cordons will remain in place in the CBD overnight while building inspections are completed.

“This will obviously impact on the morning commute and we are asking non-emergency service workers to heed the advice from Wellington City Council and the Regional Emergency Management Office regarding travel to work in the CBD in the morning.

“There will be disruption to train services in the morning plus road closures in the CBD and police urge commuters to be patient.

“Police have resources available throughout Wellington District and we wish to reassure the community that police will continue to respond to emergency calls from the public across the district as normal.”

Information and advice is being updated at the Wellington City Council website www.wellington.govt.nz and also the Facebook page of the Wellington Regional Emergency Management office www.facebook/WREMOnz

Please also listen to your local radio station for updates on the latest situation.

END

Issued by:
Grant Ogilvie
027 236 9974

Please view the full news release online at:

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/35620.html

Thanks,

New Zealand Police
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 01:54:06 pm »

A new news release is available for you to view on the Police website:

Title: Police support in Wellington continues

Wellington police remain in a support role to Civil Defence and Wellington City Council staff as building assessments continue in the capital this morning.

Acting District Commander Superintendent Sue Schwalger says it has been a quite night in Wellington overnight.

“Police maintained a careful watch over the city last night and resumed normal policing activities shortly after the main cordons were removed.

“I’m pleased to say there have been no arrests for anything related to yesterday’s earthquake. Traffic flows into the city are lighter than usual this morning so it is good to see commuters appear to be heeding advice to delay their travel to the city.

“Eight extra units were redeployed last night to assist with cordons and they maintained a visible presence throughout the city.

“Police will continue to assist engineers and council staff this morning as a street by street check of the CBD is carried out.

“It remains business as usual for Wellington police and we continue to respond to emergency calls as normal throughout the district.” says Superintendent Schwalger.

The 111 communications centre at Wellington Central police station received around 600 extra calls in the two hour period between 5.00pm and 7.00pm yesterday following the 6.5 earthquake.

END

Issued by:
Grant Ogilvie
027 236 9974

Please view the full news release online at:

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/35621.html

Thanks,

New Zealand Police
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 02:02:52 pm »

The Sea has reclaimed some of the waterfront land ....

Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 04:25:22 pm »

No - not what we want at all - the media are the ones doing all the reporting.

Possibly something to do with all the tall buildings - and the location of many journalists Undecided

The quakes aren't really bothering me as much as the fucken dogs in the neighbourhood. I swear if some dog owners don't start developing a sense of owner responsibility and shut their mutts up, I will!
The poor dog over the back fence last year lost the plot after a large clap of thunder and tried to tear open a window to get inside. The owners weren't home at the time and the poor dog wouldn't listen to me. The owners were left with a heck of a repair job on the window frame, the dog had just about torn the whole wooden frame apart before he calmed down. Shreds of wood everywhere.

We had the same issue here.  What the hell kind of owner doesn't go out and settle the dogs?  Mind you, when one of ours was getting a bit too jittery, I did teach her to snarl at the ground.  Funniest sight ever to see a dog with her snout pressed to the soil, snarling at the wobbles.   And then the icing on the cake was her 'chuffing' when the wobbling stopped.  She obviously thought she'd conquered the beast.  Grin

LOL. Did she stop being so scared of earthquakes after that or did she just get used to them?
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
guest49
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 05:04:28 pm »

Thanks Ali.
Not really looking forward to a stay halfway up a quivering tower!
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 05:52:01 pm »

for Crusader  Smiley
http://www.3news.co.nz/Marlborough-escapes-quake-without-damage/tabid/423/articleID/305824/Default.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 06:02:50 pm »

Thanks Ali.
Not really looking forward to a stay halfway up a quivering tower!

Good luck. I'm heading into the City tomorrow morning at 5.30am for an early shift. It will be very interesting. We are on the 7th floor
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 06:59:31 pm »

Marlborough? Where's that? Is it near Haast? 
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
ssweetpea

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2013, 05:37:44 pm »

Marlborough? Where's that? Is it near Haast? 

Nah, it is a suburb on Auckland's North Shore between Glenfield and Hillcrest. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2013, 10:51:51 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2013, 10:53:04 am »

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2013, 09:57:50 am »

Earthquake-Report.com

This page will automatically refresh every 60 minutes as we might be adding regular updates. Keep it open in a browser tab.
 We keep this page for a while for everything associated with the Cook Strait earthquakes as their is a connection in between all and we like to keep everything nicely together. The oldest part is at the bottom of this page.

http://earthquake-report.com/2013/07/21/very-strong-earthquake-cook-strait-new-zealand-on-july-21-2013/
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2013, 10:26:02 am »

getting some sleep down there must be a bitch.....
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
ssweetpea

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2013, 10:46:37 am »

getting some sleep down there must be a bitch.....

A bit like trying to sleep in a bed on castor wheels on a bare wooden floor when your partner is having a restless night I imagine.
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2013, 01:46:47 am »

You do stop feeling the smaller ones fairly quickly.  Your brain does the maths and seems to figure out that if it's under a 4.5 or so, it can be ignored.  From 4.5 to 4.8 its a matter of "Oh, lets wait a second and see where this is going".  The tension ratchets up relative to the size from there on in but basically, it's "I survived the .... (fill in the gap for the largest one), I'll freak out over that".  I can remember one when I was in my teens at my parents home in the Hutt Valley that, while not horrendous, seemed to go on for ages.  The rumble preceding its arrival was worse - I couldn't work out why a truck would be idling outside, nor where the bloody thing was when I could hear it.

The September one here was like a freight train in the house.  I can't even begin to describe it adequately.  But the February one arrived with no warning or so little that the sudden blast of a half a dozen police sirens (they had it on their radios before we felt it) drowned it out.  The rumbling is definitely something that makes you stop and hold your breathe.  Although some trucks and a badly aligned ranch slider can produce the same low pitched pressure in your ears sound.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2013, 04:14:16 pm »

yas don't sleep too good down here either, if ya share yr bed with a couple of fourlegged animals.

I feel a shake or a jolt and have to check whether one of them has just got back to bed or is scratching itself. We have felt a few of the Chch  issue, one or two when I have been in South Dunedin. Fiordland ones too

v

somewhat abbreviated

..."Oh, lets wait a second and see where this is going".  The tension ratchets up relative to the size from there on in ...

I am less than one km from Akatore fault. We are told that if we feel a biggie we gotta get up and go. There may be a tsunami.  Trouble is: where to?
Over the hill to Waihola and the red one, up the river in a raft on the crest of the Tsunami, or just by car to the top of the hill, between the two faults ..... http://data.gns.cri.nz/af/detail.jsp?ID=27244

Then last night Campbell Live on tv3   Shocked

lookout Auckland here I come

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
ssweetpea

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2013, 05:05:31 pm »

Yeah Nitz, come up to Auckland.

I'll happily take you on a tour of all the volcanoes including the one that isn't extinct and according to the latest research may spring back to life without much notice.

We have a couple of stunning fossil forests created by volcanic events as well.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: