Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 12:55:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

I have tropical fish

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have tropical fish  (Read 800 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: June 29, 2013, 03:13:29 pm »

My last goldfish (Patch) passed away at Christmas so I decided that maybe I would try tropicals instead.

Six months later I got a proper tank light and heater for my birthday and a voucher.

The tank is now stocked with 7 Neon tetras, 6 Glow-light tetras, an algae eater in the form of a Bristle mouthed catfish and several plants.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Alicat
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 05:28:56 pm »

My last goldfish (Patch) passed away at Christmas so I decided that maybe I would try tropicals instead.

Six months later I got a proper tank light and heater for my birthday and a voucher.

The tank is now stocked with 7 Neon tetras, 6 Glow-light tetras, an algae eater in the form of a Bristle mouthed catfish and several plants.

Well done!

Cat TV?
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 06:53:55 pm »

Grin

The bug bit lol.  I have the tropical and 2 nano marines now.  The nano's are new and still working through the initial set up issues.   

Tropicals are WAY easier than goldfish. 
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:40:02 pm »

onya SsweetP

Grin

The bug bit lol.  I have the tropical and 2 nano marines now.  The nano's are new and still working through the initial set up issues.   

Freshwater tropical aquarium occupants are more fun to watch than coldwater, too. I had a couple of cold saitwater tanks, dragon. That's how I learned that mussels can get off their rock and walk through sand on their tongue like a pipi or cockle. I would have loved to be brave enough to try saltwater tropical.

back in the dimdarks, with kids flown the coop, I had 24 tropical tanks ranging from 24"x12"  to 72"x12". That one my dear departed had to reinforce the floor for - put in new piles etc where it was to go. They were spread through 2 bedrooms and the kitchen.

The first to breed were neon tetras, then Angels: they hang their new freeswimming babies up on the plant they hatched on at night! Gave us one big fright when the parents started tearing round the tank gathering them up when we turned their light off the first night. thought they were eating them.

I was also probably the first breeder in NZ to be able to distinguish the sex of Adult Discus!

v
v

**Until then it seemed only the Discus knew**

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
dragontamer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 08:42:17 pm »

Bristle noses must be the easiest of fish to breed.  Well, after guppy's and kribinses. 

Lower the temp, raise the temp - bingo breeding session. 

Keeping the little suckers (haha) out of the filter and other fishes gullets is a challenge but...
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 09:57:16 am »

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 11:16:39 pm »

Bristle noses must be the easiest of fish to breed.  Well, after guppy's and kribinses. 

Lower the temp, raise the temp - bingo breeding session. 

Keeping the little suckers (haha) out of the filter and other fishes gullets is a challenge but...

I already know about fish in the filter.

My neons are a bit small. One of the smallest of my original 6 went missing. We found it when we turned off the light - in the filter. amazingly still alive which we didn't discover until I tipped it into the empty sink.  I got it back into the tank and it seemed alright to start with but went down hill rapidly the next day.

I have now covered the filter intakes with a stocking and bought 2 more neons. They are definitely happier in a group of 6 or more.

Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: