Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 08:03:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Meanwhile, in Napier....

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meanwhile, in Napier....  (Read 338 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: May 31, 2013, 01:03:53 pm »

Demolition of old hospital to begin

By TRACEY CHATTERTON - The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Friday, 31 May 2013

COMING DOWN: The old hospital on Napier Hill will make way for new apartments and houses. — NEILL GORDON/Fairfax NZ.
COMING DOWN: The old hospital on Napier Hill will make way for new apartments and houses.
 — NEILL GORDON/Fairfax NZ.

THE RUN-DOWN old hospital that dominates Napier Hill is to be pulled down, starting next week.

Todd Property Group will begin removing the buildings that have fallen into disrepair since the hospital closed in 1997.

Homes and apartments offering panoramic views over Hawke's Bay will be built in their place. The group has lodged consent applications to build eight houses in stage one of the development.

Most of the 17 buildings spread over 5 hectares would eventually come down, Todd Property Group managing director Evan Davies said.

Structural engineers were investigating the possibility of redeveloping the old maternity ward into apartments.

Mr Davies said people wanted to see the land, which had been vacant for more than 15 years, put to good use.

The group bought the land in 2011 as part of a government asset transfer that involved it selling land in Northland to the Department of Conservation.

The Hawke's Bay District Health Board took $5.1 million from the sale, which has boosted an upgrade of the region's mental health inpatient unit.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/8738970/Demolition-of-old-hospital-to-begin
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:47:32 pm »

http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/201347/a322fac4457ec7ab8ba87c5f8be5e39c85da342f_620x311.jpg

Napier councillor complains after son's surgery delay

By Patrick O'Sullivan

7:45 AM Thursday Nov 21, 2013

Napier city councillor Michelle Pyke is complaining after her son spent five days in pain waiting for surgery on his broken jaw, being told every day surgery was imminent. ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11160568

OMG. It looks as if he's tried to do it himself.

meanwhile a flashback:

Burglar thought he was in Lord of the Rings 

TRACEY CHATTERTON   
Last updated 13:37 07/11/2012
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/hawkes-bay/7918049/Burglar-thought-he-was-in-Lord-of-the-Rings

Burglar thought he was in Lord of the Rings  Huh

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
reality
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 08:16:51 pm »

Tagger who 'led with chin' gets month's jail
MARTY SHARPE
Last updated 05:00 24/01/2015

Judge Tony Adeane: "There is considerable public support for a firm line on tagging."

Tagging the foyer of the Napier courthouse has earned a tagger 28 days in jail.

Judge Tony Adeane, well known for his tough stance on taggers, sentenced Adam Kelliher in Napier District Court yesterday

Kelliher, 20, spent the previous night in custody after pleading guilty to a charge of wilful damage.

When he appeared on Thursday, Adeane said anyone caught tagging in Hawke's Bay would get "short shrift", and to tag a courthouse was "really leading with your chin".

On the afternoon of January 8, a court security guard was looking at CCTV screens and observed Kelliher lean over the balcony of the court foyer and use a sharp object to scratch words into the wall.

Yesterday, Kelliher's lawyer, James Rainger, asked the judge to spare him a prison term.

Rainger said Kelliher had completed 380 hours of community work, which was "quite a good effort", and he was a young man who was "not totally irresponsible".

"I spoke to him at the prison last night and he wondered whether it would be a good idea to write you a letter of remorse. I said, 'Well, you never know, why don't you?' He said, 'I've got one problem, I can't write'."

He said he knew that was "a bit ironic, given that we're here for a graffiti sentencing", but he asked the judge to consider imposing a sentence of community work and supervision "with a view to perhaps assisting him with his literacy problem".

He said Kelliher was a sole-carer of a young child and he had had a wake-up call.

The judge said the question of graffiti was "well-trodden ground in this particular court".

It might be seen "in some quarters" that it was "some kind of idiosyncrasy of my own, that I don't like tagging".

"In fact, the sentiment is not confined in that way. There is considerable public support for a firm line on tagging.

"One only has to look around the city of Napier to see it's mercifully free of this phenomena when other similar communities are not. We haven't achieved 100 per cent success yet, but sentences earlier imposed appear to have some effect," he said.

He told Kelliher his tagging of the courthouse demonstrated "a disobedient and disrespectful personality and if you show disrespect frequently enough you can expect a very firm response".

He said Kelliher had at least half a dozen non-compliance offences in recent history and other convictions for dishonesty.

The provocative nature of his latest offending meant a prison sentence was required, and he sentenced him to 28 days in prison and ordered him to pay $200 reparation.

The judge asked Rainger who would be caring for the child. Rainger said its mother would.

In 2008, Adeane gained renown when he took a hard line on taggers, giving a series of offenders a taste of prison. At the time he said taggers were making Hastings look like a North American slum, and he rejected suggestions graffiti was art or culture.

Graffiti crime in the district halved after he took his tough stance.

..nice work Judge Wink

- The Dominion Post
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 05:55:34 pm »

...jeeezzus christ..what the hell are they drinking down there?? Shocked

$2.6M FOR A STORMWATER OUTLET THAT GIVES A GOOD VIEW OF THE SHORE?

Napier City Council are applying lipstick to this concrete pig by the tonne, but they aren’t convincing many.

Napier’s new viewing platform has fallen short for many ratepayers who are criticising the Marine Parade structure online.

“We never called it a pier,” Napier City Council CEO Wayne Jack said in response to the public criticism.

“It is just a small number of people venting their views,” he said.

Although it looks like a pier, the only time it will be surrounded by water is during a storm – the rest of the time the $2.6 million structure sits on dry land, hiding the new Tennyson St stormwater outfall opposite the new museum and gallery.

Not yet officially opened, it sports a steel canopy and stands on concrete-encased steel piles hammered 15m into bedrock.

Social media comment says a pier that stops short of the water is a missed opportunity for recreational uses such as fishing and swimming.

“I thought this was going to be really cool and be much longer than this sad piece of concrete,” Angelene Hirini of Hastings said.

It does look like they ran out of money.  And instead of a nice community resource, they now have a terrible eye-sore sticking out of the beach. 

In its resource consent application to Hawke’s Bay Regional Council, Napier City Council said it would provide a benefit “in masking the pipeline and providing an opportunity to obtain views of Hawke’s Bay and back over the city, which aren’t easily obtained”.

Mr Jack said it was always designed to stop at the high tide mark.

“To go out that few more metres has significant cost and resource consent issues,” he said. “Extending the platform, to make it into a pier, would be unlikely.

“I think it will stay where it is.”

On its Facebook page the council has reassured critics.

“We’re sure you will be impressed with the view once it is completed. Despite some thinking it is too short, the view back to the Marine Parade is sensational.”

Seems to me that you either quietly integrate the storm water outlet so it becomes part of the landscape, or you make a big deal out of it and make it something admirable and multi-purpose.   In the end, they achieved neither.

– Hawkes Bay Today
by Cameron Slater on December 18, 2015 at 5:00pm
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 08:37:23 am »

The hospital debacle would have been hilarious if it hadn't cost the taxpayer so much.
The Bolger government wanted to close the Napier hospital and sell the site, which has unsurpassed views over the bay, for private development at great profit.
Eventually they rode roughshod over every objection and closed the place, which incidentally, had just installed new operating theatres and was a well suited and modern facility [with the exception of an old wing] and extended Hastings hospital which is built on the alluvial plain which will liquefy and swallow the buildings in any earthquake over about 6.4, I think it is.
The hilarious part is that as soon as the place was closed, the local Maori said "Thanks very much.  We donated the site solely for the purpose of a hospital, and now you have removed the hospital;, under the terms of the original agreement, we will have it back!"
When the government looked into it, they had to concede defeat.

So, instead of a great hospital on the earthquake proof site in Napier, due to the government of the days bungling Hawes Bay now have a make do hospital on a doubtful site.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 12:14:40 pm »

I look at it this way....

Napier got the airport.

Hastings got the hospital.

Shit happens.

And just to declare my interest in both places....I was born at Hastings Hospital....and I have regularly made use of the airport at Napier.

Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 12:22:43 pm »

You miss the point.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 12:56:14 pm »

I had to laugh back when the 4th Nats government was planning to merge the two major Hawke's Bay hospitals onto one site and there was a huge amount of arguing going on, in particular the age-old Napier vs Hastings parochialism battle. I had just arrived at the Napier rail freight terminal at Ahuriri with a freight train from Gisborne late one night around midnight and we (myself and the other Gisborne locomotive engineer) headed off for the rail operating staff amenities for a quick meal break before jumping onto the train we were taking back to Gisborne. We walked straight into a huge argument about where the proposed Hawke's Bay Regional Hospital should be sited. One of the rail workers turned to us and said, “You two are neutral outsiders, so where do YOU think the regional hospital should be sited?” I declared my biased interest (being Hawke's Bay born & bred) and declined to offer an opinion, but my mate Nuna (Robin Wyllie, brother of former Maori All Black & MP Tu Wyllie) quick-as-a-flash said, “Well, you've got the airport in Napier, so Hastings should get the hospital.” I just about bit my tongue, but I could kind of see his point. After heating up a feed, we buggered off out to our train, leaving them still arguing, and headed off home to Gisborne.
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 03:10:17 pm »

Talking about Gisborne -

..."Councillor Larry Foster presented a proposal at yesterday’s Council meeting from the New Zealand Motor Caravan Association (NZCMA) to include three new freedom camping areas under Council’s Freedom Camping Bylaw.

The sites include Kaiti Beach car park Midway Surf Club car park and the car park behind Enterprise Pool in Nelson Road.

In a letter NZCMA Eastland chairman Fergus McKenzie asked that the areas be made available for motorhome campers for up to a maximum 3 night stay limited in 5 parking spaces.

"These areas were selected because they offered motorhome campers access to beaches and fishing and also in the case of Nelson Road, dog exercise areas."

Mr McKenzie said that if the changes were approved they would promote the new areas to their member network to visit Gisborne and spend money at local businesses."

The areas proposed are currently prohibited under the Freedom Camping Bylaw.

The Bylaw was adopted in June and outlines rules for freedom camping in the Gisborne District. Freedom Camping is defined as camping for free in public places that are not prohibited.

Permitted areas under the Bylaw include the Marina car park, Makorori car park and Motu rest area...."

Read the rest at
http://www.voxy.co.nz/national/gisborne-more-motorhome-friendly/5/240387

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
reality
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 04:53:54 pm »

...jeezz.. the desire for democracy is spreading Tongue

Councillor wants referendum

By Sophie Price

5:16 PM Monday Dec 28, 2015Add a comment

A referendum should be held so the Hastings community can make a decision on the Hawke's Bay Opera House, says Hastings District councillor Simon Nixon.

Speaking about the upcoming public consultation process on the project, Mr Nixon said he did not believe such a process would offer a reliable indication of community support.

"Such processes tend to flush out the people who have a strong view generally in support of whatever project it is," he said.

"A referendum or some sort of more meaningful survey - maybe a really good survey - would meet the same need."

He said referendums were held on both the sale of Nelson Park for large-format retail and on the groynes for shoreline protection at Te Awanga.

"But we are not giving people that sort of option with the Opera House or Civic Square or the hotel projects," he said.

"And actually, they are going to cost more than any of those other things."

He said with $20 million set aside for the project, the public consultation would come at a cost to ratepayers.

"[Hastings Mayor Lawrence Yule] is saying we have put aside $20 million. No we haven't put aside $20 million," said Mr Nixon.

"We have put in the budget a plan to borrow $20 million which could be used for the Opera House.

"It actually wasn't set aside specifically for the Opera House - it came out of the Civic Square project."

He said the $20 million figure was a concern to him, because it was more than what was required to strengthen the Opera House.

"They only should be talking about $10 million or $11 million if they are only talking about the Opera House," he said.

"So they have in fact included these other projects by somewhat devious means by talking about $20 million.

"So I think the whole process is designed to achieve the outcome that some people want, and they are not willing to risk that outcome to a more effective public consultation."

Mr Nixon said he thought the level of support for strengthening the Opera House was greater than for the Civic Square and Municipal Building projects.

"I mean, the Opera House is already built and a lot of people say it should be fixed," he said.

"Civic Square is not built and it is going to cost a lot of money, and I don't think it will bring huge advantages in terms of what it has got to offer."

Mr Nixon thought the council needed to concentrate on the Opera House first and decide whether or not it should be restored.

"I am reasonably open-minded, I don't have a strong view. I don't go to the Opera House that often but a lot of people want to fix it up. I think we have got to acknowledge that," he said.

"I would actually like to see us conduct a referendum because I think that is one way to find out what people are thinking."

At the end of the day, if the community came out overwhelmingly in favour of spending the money on the Opera House, Mr Nixon said he would not have a problem supporting it.

"But we need to make sure that this is the best use of the money for the ends we are trying to achieve."

- Hawkes Bay Today
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 06:08:38 pm »

I trust the Hastings District Council recalls the amount of fundraising and monies put towards the earlier restoration of the Hastings Municipal Theatre. Against the public wishes they also (after taking the kind and generous donations of the folk of Hastings and District) renamed the Hastings Municipal Theatre the Hawkes Bay Opera House so as not to get it confused with the Napier Municipal Theatre - WTF?

It was the generosity of the people rather than the Hastings District Council who funded the theatre.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 05:07:07 pm »

from The Dominion Post....

Dean of Napier stood down over adulterous affair 25 years ago

By TALIA SHADWELL | 6:43AM - Friday, 06 May 2016

“I'm a good person, but I've done drugs, I've had illicit sex,” says Michael Godfrey. — Photograph: Carolyn Veen/Fairfax NZ.
“I'm a good person, but I've done drugs, I've had illicit sex,” says Michael Godfrey.
 — Photograph: Carolyn Veen/Fairfax NZ.

THE dean of Napier Cathedral has been stood down by the Anglican Church — for an affair he had 25 years ago.

Michael Godfrey says he confessed his adultery years ago, and felt the church had not offered him redemption.

However the Church claims it was the first the New Zealand clergy had heard of it.

He was a 30-year-old married priest when he had an affair in 1991 with an 18-year-old woman in Australia.

“What I have been is always upfront about my feet of clay,” he said on Thursday, after being banned from performing priestly duties by the Bishop of Waiapu, Andrew Hedge.

“I've counselled people who have done the same thing that I've done. I've never in my time as priest claimed that I'm faultless.”

“I'm a good person, but I've done drugs, I've had illicit sex.”

He said Hedge broke the news to him on Wednesday, but he had known since February that he was under investigation.

Bishop Andrew Hedge has headed the Waiapu diocese since 2014. — Photograph: Chris Hillock/Fairfax NZ.
Bishop Andrew Hedge has headed the Waiapu diocese since 2014.
 — Photograph: Chris Hillock/Fairfax NZ.

Godfrey, originally from the Kapiti Coast, claimed he informed his bishop in Australia 25 years ago about the 10-day affair, and had not strayed since.

Both his former and current wives already knew of the adultery, and he was baffled as to why it was being dredged up decades later.

“It happened in my history. I made a mistake, I've never denied that to anybody … it was absolutely a [mistake] and I'm not making any excuses for what happened.”

“I've done as much chastising of myself as humanly possible over the years.”

He said his wife was “pretty gutted”. “This is something that obviously we've worked through.”

The couple have been told they have six months to leave their church accommodation at Napier's Waiapu Cathedral of St John the Evangelist, where he has been dean for almost three years.

On Thursday night he was packing his bags for Australia, where he hoped to wait out the fallout from his shock dismissal.

He said he was informed last year that he was investigated during Australia's Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

He claimed he was cleared during the inquiry, and never was able to learn much of the nature of the allegation against him, nor who his accuser was.

A statement issued by Hedge's representative stressed that Godfrey's sin was not a criminal act, but a breach of church law.

“The decision is the outcome of a church disciplinary process for a historic matter of behaviour, unrelated to the Diocese of Waiapu, deemed to be a breach of church canons, rather than illegal, and not expected of a priest in the Anglican Church.”

Godfrey has been a priest for 27 years. He was vicar of Christ Church in Whangarei from 2007 to 2011.

He said there was a “difference in opinion” between the church and him as to whether the matter of his affair was flagged up appropriately in New Zealand. He was considering whether to fight the decision.

“My feeling is that there hasn't been due process or natural justice in terms of the process of dismissal.”

The church's website lists Godfrey as being “on leave”.

A spokesman for the Anglican Church said Godfrey may have informed his Australian bishop of his extramarital affair, but “it is the first that his bishop, now in New Zealand, has heard of it”.

There had been a thorough investigation into the matter, and it was inappropriate to comment on how it was brought to the church's attention, he said.

The length of Godfrey's stand-down had not yet been decided, but once it was over, the “door is open for him to come back”.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/79681569

from The Dominion Post....

Dean of Napier says punishment for his extramarital
affairs could set a worrying precedent

4:09PM - Friday, 06 May 2016

AN Anglican dean, stood down for two adulterous affairs he had 25 years ago, says other church members will be now be worried about past indiscretions coming back to haunt them.

Michael Godfrey was the dean of Napier Cathedral until this week when he was banned from performing priestly duties by the Bishop of Waiapu, Andrew Hedge.

Godfrey was a 30-year-old married priest at the time, but said he had not strayed since.

He confessed to his bishop in Australia 24 years ago about the two affairs, which lasted 10 days.

He said this behaviour was triggered by a sexual assault.

“It was a shocking time in my life,” he said.

Godfrey left the country on Friday to visit family in Australia and relax following the Church's decision.

He feared his case would set a precedent that could create fear within the Church that past indiscretions might be dredged up years later.

“We are all human and we all make mistakes.”

Godfrey said his affairs were never something he denied to anyone and both his former and current wives were aware of them.

He said the church was meant to be an institution of forgiveness.

However the Anglican Church claimed the New Zealand clergy had only recently learnt of the affairs.

A spokesman for the Church said there had been a thorough investigation into the matter and it was not appropriate to comment on how it was brought to the church's attention.

The length of Godfrey's suspension had not been decided, but once it was over, the door was open for him to return.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/79702968
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: