Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 12:06:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Hobbit artist captures Mt Vic moonrise

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobbit artist captures Mt Vic moonrise  (Read 122 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: January 29, 2013, 04:13:53 pm »

amazing !!!!!

Real-time film shows off Welly moonrise

Stunning real-time footage of the moon rising over the Mount Victoria lookout was captured last night by a Hobbit digital effects artist.

The four-minute shot, taken just after 9pm at Nairn St Park, 2km from Mt Victoria, also caught a number of silhouetted observers watching the almost-full moonrise.

Weta Digital artist Mark Gee had been trying to capture the rise for over a year, including several attempts during last year's ''super moon'' in May.

''I could never get it in the right spot,'' the Evans Bay resident said.

''The moon moves every single month, so I had to find a location open enough and far enough away from Mt Vic to get the correct angle of the moon and Mt Vic.

Weather was another issue.

The video was taken using a Canon DSLR 1D Mark IV camera with "every single lens I had, basically" - a 500mm lens with a 2x extender.

After failing on Sunday to get the shot during the actual full moon, Mr Gee came home from last night's shoot thinking things had gone wrong yet again.

''But it actually worked out a lot better. I was pretty ecstatic about it, and stayed up until 3am putting it all together.''

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/wellington-central/8236773/Hobbit-artist-captures-Mt-Vic-moonrise
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:42:06 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 10:29:49 am »

Meanwhile, there's a supermoon happening tomorrow night, but the weather forecast is crap for most of the country.

from Fairfax NZ....

Will anyone in NZ get to see the closest supermoon in 68 years?  (12th November 2016)

Largest full moon in many people's lifetime is about to shine  (4th November 2016)

from The New Zealand Herald....

Monday's supermoon extra super; closest in nearly 69 years  (11th November 2016)

Get set for the best supermoon in 67 years  (4th November 2016)

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 12:04:51 pm »

from The Age....

Super moon: Do the police believe lunar cycles are linked to violence?

Will wild things happen as super moon rises? Police are worried.

By TAMMY MILLS | 8:02AM - November 13, 2016

A flock of birds fly by as a super moon rises in Mir, Belarus, last year. — Photograph: Sergei Grits.
A flock of birds fly by as a super moon rises in Mir, Belarus, last year.
 — Photograph: Sergei Grits.

IT inspires lovers and folklore, triggers werewolves and swells tides, and now police are bracing for madness under the silvery light of the super moon.

On Monday, the full moon will be at its biggest and brightest in almost 70 years.

A magical sight, maybe, but ask a police officer working that night.

“I'm working arvo shift (3pm-11pm). Super moon,” one sergeant said.

“It's going to be f---ed.”

Despite a study completed by a Brisbane police officer last month that discounted a connection — “It was like a kid discovering Santa wasn't real,” he said — police swear a full moon turns people looney.

Take one beat cop who responded to a report of a man bashed with a brass Egyptian cat statue on a full moon in Melbourne a few years back.

The girlfriend of the victim burst into the apartment and, looking at the blood on the coffee table, cried “Is that my boyfriend's?!”

She then started to lap it up, declared her love for him then spat his blood at the officers.

Another policeman patrolling the city streets came across a man taking his turtle for a walk on a leash. The stuffed turtle was dead as a doorknob.

There's also the one about the woman police found hugging a tree in the inner north.

“What are doing?” the policeman asked.

“Talking to it,” she replied serenely.

“Are you happy?”

“Yes, I'm happy.”

The officer said he shrugged his shoulders; “I was like ‘Ohhh OK then’. I looked at the ground and backed away slowly.”

Mythmaker: Full moon over Melbourne.
Mythmaker: Full moon over Melbourne.

Geoff Sheldon is a detective inspector based in Brisbane who released a paper last month with Charles Sturt University on whether police call-outs rose during a full moon.

A cop since he was 18, he had always been a firm believer it sent people crazy.

“Harold Holt, full moon. Hoddle Street, full moon ... that's the way I thought for 30 years,” he said.

He was even called-out to one of the weirdest​ jobs of his careers in the middle of his PhD.

“He had a tomahawk and a hammer in each hand just as a full moon was setting. I got an award on my wall saying I tackled a bloke who was trying to kill me on a full moon,” Inspector Sheldon said.

But, after examining more than 900,000 jobs attended by Queensland Police from 2004-2011, he found no increase in the 99 full moon events that occurred during that period.

“I was disappointed as buggery that it wasn't real,” Inspector Sheldon said.

“I was like a kid discovering Santa wasn't real.”

One of the most pertinent ideas that informed the theory was a 1972 study finding a disproportionate number of murders occurred during a full moon.

Psychiatrist Arnold Lieber​ and psychologist Carolyn Sherin​ claimed the increase of homicides in Florida were caused by “human tides” — the movement of fluid in the body similar to that of oceans due to the full moon which affected behaviour.

It kicked-off decades of research on the full moon's effect on everything from violence in ice hockey games, the Dow Jones, male sperm output and births in sheep.

“But there's no significant proof one way or the other,” Inspector Sheldon said.

Despite his own findings, Inspector Sheldon said his workmates still don't believe him.

“It's an illusory correlation. You see something you want to believe so you do believe. Whilst cold, hard facts are still there that say there's no such thing, you never lose it,” he said.

And as for cops working on the dreaded super moon, Inspector Sheldon said it won't make a difference.

“But if something does happen, you can bet everyone will pin the tail on to that.”

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/the-super-moon-is-coming-and-cops-are-freaking-out-but-is-it-all-a-myth-20161110-gsmxfu.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: