Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 07:12:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Gareth Morgan fires the first shot of WWIII

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gareth Morgan fires the first shot of WWIII  (Read 2442 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: January 22, 2013, 02:07:12 pm »

Morgan creates website for anti-cat cause

By TOM HUNT - Fairfax NZ News | 11:50AM - Tuesday, 22 January 2013

NATURAL BORN KILLER?

PHILANTHROPIC ECONOMIST Gareth Morgan is calling for the eradication of cats from New Zealand.

"The fact is that your furry friend is actually a friendly neighbourhood serial killer," his new Cats to Go website, set up by the Morgan Foundation, says.

The site says cats have contributed to the extinction of nine native bird species and impacted on 33 endangered native bird species.

It goes on to say that killing cats is not necessary but is an option.

"We appreciate the fact that you have an emotional connection with your pet and that pet ownership is a rewarding experience."

"But there's a real problem with cats — they kill for pleasure, and most of that killing is out of your sight so probably out of your mind."

CLAWS OUT: Gareth Morgan wants action. DANGEROUS: Cats are killing our native birds, says Gareth Morgan.
CLAWS OUT: Gareth Morgan wants action (left). | DANGEROUS: Cats are killing our native birds, says Gareth Morgan (right).

"If you think New Zealand's native species are precious and should be fostered then it's important you be a responsible cat owner."

"That means keep them inside 24 hours a day and if that's impractical then when the time comes ensure this is the last cat you ever own."

Morgan also suggests other ways to reduce the impact cats have on native bird populations.

"I am advocating responsible pet ownership, not for people to bop their pets on the head. To me a responsible pet owner has their cat neutered, keeps it well fed and indoors as much as possible, and puts a bell on them. Then when their cat dies I think people should consider not replacing it".

Councils also need to step up and manage cats like they do already with dogs, he said.

"All cats should be registered, chipped and neutered, while setting live capture cage traps on your property and turning the miscreants over to the local authority should be encouraged."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/8207475/Morgan-creates-website-for-anti-cat-cause
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:10:40 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:12:43 pm »

What does Gareth Morgan think of people who kill animals (as in sports or hunting) for pleasure? Should those people be caught and eradicated too?
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:14:09 pm »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/8180514/Cats-not-NZs-main-culprit-killers

Proposals that New Zealand follow Australia's example in an effort to curtail a growing population of stray cats are "absurd", a scientist says.

Unitec research, which studied unmanaged cat colonies in Auckland over a 20-year period, found a growing cat population.

There were 1.4 million cats nationally, with potentially another 350,000 in the wild, researcher Mark Farnworth estimated.

Wild cats would be disease-ridden, with some having FIV - HIV for cats - and feline leukaemia virus, Farnworth said.

"This creates a problem because it's a reservoir of disease for our pet cats," he said.

New Zealand should look to Australia, which has stringent controls to manage the cat population, such as "curfews and containment of companion cats", the study said.

Other areas raised were compulsory registration and identification of cats, and exclusion zones around ecologically sensitive areas.

"Do I think these are things New Zealand will need to implement? I suspect so. New Zealand may at some stage need to consider other options," Farnworth said.

"I think cat registration is an important aspect of managing cat population."

While it was normal to go out and buy a dog, Kiwis often "acquire" cats.

"So a cat turns up in the backyard, and then they feed it, and then it's theirs. There's this idea that cats choose people," he said.

"Dogs are required to be registered, so we know roughly how many people have dogs. But cats aren't."

The SPCA last year rejected the idea of cat curfews and limiting cat numbers.

John Innes, from Landcare Research, said it was "absurd" to look to Australia as a model for restricting cats, because the two countries were so different ecologically.

In Australia, cats were controlled to protect other animals.

"They have rodents that are very vulnerable to cats, whereas in New Zealand we don't," he said.

"In Australia, the problem is with feral cats, and endemic valued, endangered rodents.

''So they have native rats like we have native birds. Having a rodent over there is not a bad thing, necessarily."

In New Zealand there were endangered native birds at risk, but they did not live in the urban centres, and cats were not the culprit killers, he said.

"Everybody automatically thinks cats are bad for wildlife, and the reason why in New Zealand it's not quite true is that the main prey of cats is small mammals," he said.

"If you look at cat diets, they live off rodents, rats, mice, small rabbits, things like that."

This leads to New Zealand cats eating ship rats, which prey on native birds.

"In New Zealand, cats are most helpful at night," said Innes.

"Cats eat a lot of ship rats. Ship rats probably eat more forest birds than cats put together. People just don't know them because they do it all at night up trees."

There was no wildlife case for restricting cats, he said.

"I've worked with tui restoration in Hamilton for a decade, and I've never had an account of a tui, one of our radio-banded birds, being killed by a cat," he said.

- © Fairfax NZ News
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:21:53 pm »

My three cats are microchipped and have been desexed. They are indoor cats with outdoor privileges. They are curfewed from about 5.30pm each day and overnight. If I am working a late shift, they are curfewed from the time I leave for work late morning. I am a responsible cat owner.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 02:27:54 pm »

My three cats are microchipped and have been desexed. They are indoor cats with outdoor privileges. They are curfewed from about 5.30pm each day and overnight. If I am working a late shift, they are curfewed from the time I leave for work late morning. I am a responsible cat owner.

I don't feel I need to justify my cat life to a jumped up, over inflated ego.  He doesn't like cats?  Fine!  Don't get one.  I hate lisps and spitty speech impediments - maybe he should go get it fixed so it doesn't offend me any more than his dribbling has.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 02:28:48 pm »

I don't feel I need to justify my cat life to a jumped up, over inflated ego.  He doesn't like cats?  Fine!  Don't get one.  I hate lisps and spitty speech impediments - maybe he should go get it fixed so it doesn't offend me any more than his dribbling has.

Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:19:15 pm »

Seriously smart man...have alot of respect for his economic credentials and succcess...but in the end....

...who gives a fuck about a few native birds....or cats ...for that matter Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 03:32:03 pm »

Interesting that money he has accumlated because his son set up trademe makes him an expert on the habits of cats.

Sound familiar.  Garth McV sets up sensible sentencing is now an expert on same sex marriage.

My cats are so well fed that we can feed the birds each day and al they do is watch them out the windows and yawn.

Mr Morgan the fumes from your motorbikes give me asthma.  I think I should set up a website and fire a shot at you.  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 03:56:09 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 03:59:56 pm »

10 bags of popcorn KW, how greedy  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 04:00:14 pm »

Im one who has no time for cats .. I like em .. some are cute (Like Alicats)  but other than that they are cats ...

We have no cats in our village now .. those that were here have been trapped out now.  7-8 yrs ago we had lil families of quail and they very quickly stopped when the cats had been left here ... now there is 2 families that run  all over the place .. they are building up.   Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
akadaka
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 04:16:51 pm »

a world without pussies,some black,some ginger and others white!!!! Others bushy and the rest short haired!!!! Totally incomprehensible to me  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 04:18:20 pm »

a world without pussies,some black,some ginger and others white!!!! Others bushy and the rest short haired!!!! Totally incomprehensible to me  Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
reality
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 04:48:13 pm »

Justy....."Interesting that money he has accumlated because his son set up trademe makes him an expert on the habits of cats."

...uuuhhhmm...in all fairness to Gareth Morgan....he was seriously wealthy long before trademe came on the scene....and he possibly is a" self made man"...as they say Wink
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 04:50:55 pm »

.....a world without pussies,some black,some ginger and others white!!!! Others bushy and the rest short haired!!!! Totally incomprehensible to me 

...are shaved pussies available..they are the bestest Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 04:55:05 pm »

Justy....."Interesting that money he has accumlated because his son set up trademe makes him an expert on the habits of cats."

...uuuhhhmm...in all fairness to Gareth Morgan....he was seriously wealthy long before trademe came on the scene....and he possibly is a" self made man"...as they say Wink

... who now thinks his shit don't stink going by the last few pearls they've reported from him.
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 05:00:32 pm »

dragon...."going by the last few pearls they've reported from him...."

...oh no..whats he been saying now? Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 05:01:10 pm »

Far enough reality.  My point really was what is his expertise in the habits of cts.  Money wherever it cmes from does not make your opinion more valuable than the experience of others.

Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 05:08:29 pm »

Justy..."My point really was what is his expertise in the habits of cats.  Money wherever it comes from does not make your opinion more valuable than the experience of others."

..yes..I agree...i would just say that i do find his comments interesting...i never knew anything about cats being a big problem to native species before..
i imagine that the Greenies( bruss and his clan)...will be right behind  Gareth Morgan  (the capitalist) on this...what a sight that will be Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 05:26:39 pm »

Cats, depending on how they are being looked after have always been a problem to not only native species but any species of small bird, rodent, insects etc .... this has been talked about for many many yrs reality ..
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 05:32:36 pm »

In other words, he shit all over other people in order to enrich himself at their expense.

Just like your corrupt hero, John Key!

Report Spam   Logged

Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 05:44:14 pm »

You can't possibly have eaten 10 boxes of popcorn already KTJ
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 05:45:34 pm »

LL.....'Cats, depending on how they are being looked after have always been a problem to not only native species but any species of small bird, rodent, insects etc .... this has been talked about for many many yrs reality ..'

..my humble apolagies for not knowing   Cry
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 05:49:31 pm »

Bwuss...."In other words, he shit all over other people in order to enrich himself at their expense."

...no doubt..being the most intelligent rail worker in the whole of Wankerton..you will have evidence you can give us about the allegation you make...feel free..please share Shocked

and while your at it....please share your thoughts about this Tongue

..yes..I agree...i would just say that i do find his comments interesting...i never knew anything about cats being a big problem to native species before..
i imagine that the Greenies( bruss and his clan)...will be right behind  Gareth Morgan  (the capitalist) on this...what a sight that will be
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: