Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 11:54:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Four year old girl 'thrown' off Melbourne bridge

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four year old girl 'thrown' off Melbourne bridge  (Read 481 times)
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« on: January 29, 2009, 02:06:45 pm »

A four-year-old girl remains critically ill after being thrown from Melbourne's West Gate Bridge into the water below, allegedly by her father.

Detectives are now appealing for witnesses to the incident shortly after 9am (local time) this morning.

A man, aged about 35, was arrested just over an hour later outside the Federal Court building in central Melbourne with two other children in his car.

Homicide Detective Inspector Steve Clark said a white Toyota Landcruiser stopped in an in-bound lane of the bridge about 9.10am AEDT.

"A male in that vehicle has taken a young girl ... and dropped her over the bridge and she's landed in the water," Det Insp Clark told reporters at the scene below the bridge.

Two other children, believed to be aged six and eight, were also in the car at the time but were unharmed, he said.

Water police reached the injured girl in the Yarra River within 10 minutes of the fall. She was treated by paramedics before being airlifted to the Royal Childrens Hospital in a critical condition.

A Hawthorn man, believed to be the child's father and allegedly responsible for throwing the child from the bridge, was spotted with the Landcruiser and the two other children near the Federal Court in the CBD about 10.30am.

He was taken into custody and will be interviewed by police.

The victim's mother had been informed of the situation, Det Insp Clark said.

Det Insp Clark said the incident was "particularly distressing" for both family members and witnesses.

"This is a dreadful set of circumstances and often you think you've seen it all but you haven't," he said.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10554179
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:10:07 pm »

Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 02:11:10 pm »

Seen it but didn't read it...  I hate shit like that...

Shoot him.

Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Calliope

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 02:13:50 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
Brownie55
Global Moderator

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 02:38:13 pm »

What is it with people these days. Have an argument with the missus, lose your job, take drugs etc   take it out on the kids.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:42:15 pm »

... shit! That's what I've forgotten to do - take it all out on the kids!

Of course - it's all their fault!!!

Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 03:02:37 pm »

A four-year-old girl thrown off Melbourne's West Gate Bridge this morning has died in hospital.

A Royal Children's Hospital spokeswoman said the girl died at  1.35pm.

A 35-year-old Hawthorn man has been charged with her murder and will appear in Melbourne Magistrates Court this afternoon.

The four-year-old girl died at 1.35 this afternoon in the Royal Children's Hospital,  where she was flown after being rescued from the river beneath the bridge about 9.15am.

Homicide squad Detective Inspector Steve Clark said the alleged murder occurred at 9.10am - peak travel time - on the city-bound side of the bridge, close to the top.

It took place so quickly "no-one had the opportunity to intervene''.

"He's got straight out of the car and taken the young girl and walked to the edge of the bridge, so that would have happened in a matter of seconds," Detective Inspector Clark said.

"Fortunately, the water police were here within 10 minutes so she was given medical attention fairly quickly.

"It's a dreadful set of circumstances and often you think you've seen it all and you haven't.''

A man believed to be the father of the girl was arrested outside the Commonwealth Law Courts building at the corner of La Trobe and William streets about 10.30am.

A caller to Radio 3AW said he saw four or five police, including one with his gun drawn, surround a man on the ground outside the court building.

It is understood he had gone with his two other children to the building, which houses the Family, Federal and Federal Magistrates courts.

Police and paramedics were called to the courts building after staff noticed the man's "distressed state".

'Had enough'

A member of the court's staff said the man was crying and looked like "he'd had enough".

He had two other children, aged 6 and 8, with him and witnesses said he begged security guards to "take my kids".

One of the witnesses said the man was shaking uncontrollably and looked like he was "about to have a nervous breakdown''.

The man was seen to approach court security guards and ask them: "Can you take my kids for me?"

About half-an-hour later, the couple saw the arrival of a woman they believed to be the mother of the two boys, who subsequently took them away.

Another witness saw four police officers, two of them holding evidence bags, lead the handcuffed man to a waiting divisional van.

Shaking violently

The man, who she described as balding, was "shaking violently".

A court source said a case involving the family was heard in the Federal Magistrates Court earlier this week, when it is believed an agreement was reached on shared custody of the children.

A white Toyota Landcruiser, believed to be owned by the man, was parked outside the court building this morning.

Children's toys and clothing could be seen in the back of the vehicle.  It is understood it has been seized by police and will be analysed by investigators.

Witnesses have told police a man driving in the inbound lane of the West Gate Freeway pulled up near the top of the bridge and threw the child into the water below.

The girl was pulled from the water close to the western bank of the river on the northern side of the bridge about 9.15am.

50 minutes

Paramedics spent about 50 minutes resuscitating her before she was airlifted to hospital.

Ambulance Victoria paramedic team manager Trevor Weston, who was involved in the rescue, said it had not been easy.

"Anything that involves children takes its toll on paramedics," he said.

"Fortunately it's not a very regular occurrence but when it does (happen) it really does hit home.''

Mr Weston said it was not clear how long the little girl, who he said had mainly internal injuries, had been in the water.

Detective Inspector Clark urged witnesses to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

with Kate Hagan, Andrea Petrie and Erdem Koch.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/tot-thrown-off-bridge-dies/2009/01/29/1232818610425.html
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 03:13:19 pm »

P?

Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 03:15:44 pm »

They call it ice there among other things .. but no .. not this time .. this time its about 'ownership' of the kids.
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 03:17:50 pm »

Yer that too - but surely you'd have to be on something (and upset) to go throwing your kid off a bridge?
And for the other kids to watch that...... poor things.

Shoot the wanker.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 03:20:55 pm »

THE man held over the West Gate Bridge plunge asked security guards to take his children before being arrested.

A four-year-old girl was pulled from the water by police close to the pumping station at Spotswood about 9.30am today after apparently being thrown from the bridge.

Despite reports that she had died, the Royal Children's Hospital insists she remains alive but is in a critical condition.

A 35-year-old Hawthorn man was arrested after security staff at the Commonwealth Law Courts on the corner of Williams and La Trobe Streets noticed him standing in the foyer with two children.

He is believed to be the father of the girl allegedly thrown from the bridge and was involved in a Family Court matter in the Federal Magistrates Court yesterday.

The man was an applicant in a Family Law matter where custody of three children was the issue and the mother was the respondent.

There was a hearing of the case yesterday and sources said that the matter was ongoing and no decision had been made.

Security staff noticed that the man was shaking and staring with wild eyes. One described the man as catatonic.

He was clearly distressed and crying, witnesses said. He was in the foyer for 30 minutes while staff offered him drinks in an effort to calm him down.

One onlooker said the man  "looked like he had had enough".

Police were called and several officers arrested the man, who offered no resistance.
Just before he was taken away, he asked security guards to look after his children.

At the time of his arrest, police had no indication that the man was connected to the West Gate Bridge incident.

The two children were taken into protective custody. Witnesses say one of the children was in nappies.

A white 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser vehicle was also parked near the court and was later removed by detectives.

A child booster seat was in the back seat, along with children's toys and clothing. The vehicle had Victorian plates and had a parking ticket on the windscreen.

The injured girl is being treated in the emergency department of the Royal Children's Hospital.

Witnesses told police they saw a man stop on an inbound lane near the top of the West Gate. It is believed the girl was then thrown over the edge.

Police said the vehicle was a white 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser and the incident happened around 9.10am. They have appealed to the public to provide any information they may have.

Paramedic team manager Trevor Weston said paramedics worked on the girl for almost an hour.

"Paramedics worked for about 50 minutes at the scene and the child was then conveyed to the Royal Children's Hospital," Mr Weston said.

"Anything that involves children takes its toll on paramedics. Fortunately it's not a very frequent occurrence."

The girl was airlifted to the Royal Children's Hospital in a critical condition with massive internal injuries.

"Everyone at the scene did a fantastic job and we're very focused on doing everything they could for the child," Mr Weston said.

Homicide squad Det-Insp Steve Clark said the incident was very distressing.

"It's particularly distressing for family members but also for witnesses who saw it," he said.

"A number of those are upset and I have got a number of police here who have young children themselves who have had to deal with this and they are obviously upset," he said.

He said water police were on the scene within 10 minutes to drag the four-year-old girl from the water.

He said it appeared no one on the bridge had time to stop the man.

Det-Insp Clark said the man's two other children may have been in the car with him before he allegedly dropped the girl off the bridge.

He said police believed the family had been dealing with some family court matters.

He said the girl's mother had been informed and was with police.

"She's currently assisting police the best she can in terrible, terrible circumstances," he said.

Det-Insp Clark appealed for anyone who may have seen the incident to contact police.

He said a number of witnesses had already come forward and they were being interviewed by police.

"Clearly there was a lot of traffic on the bridge and I am urging anyone who may have seen what happened to contact Crime Stoppers."

Ambulance Victoria was called just after 9.30am to a report of a child in the water underneath the West Gate Bridge, spokesman Paul Bentley said.

"The child suffered fairly extensive injuries and the paramedics spent some time trying to resuscitate the child," Mr Bentley said.

"I understand the police boat was used to get the child from the water to the Yarraville side."

The homicide squad is investigating the incident and have appealed for information from the public.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24978760-5003402,00.html
Report Spam   Logged

bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 03:31:07 pm »

Whuking dickweed!!
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Calliope

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 03:46:16 pm »

actually I feel sorry for the guy - he must have been at his wits end (and I don't mean that in any rude way)
that doesn't mean I condone his actions but I think that we are all capable of doing extreme things when under stress.
Report Spam   Logged

bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 03:48:11 pm »

He's still a dickweed!!
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 03:51:15 pm »

That depends Calliope...  but yep, I hear what youre saying. I've been there and done that as well - as far as custody is concerned - it really does screw you up in some rather amazing ways - more so if you are in the right yet fighting a system designed to work aganst you...

Worst time of my life that... and that's saying a bit!

But to harm or kill your kid...  that's a whole different ball park.
The guy was either on drugs or
Report Spam   Logged

bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 04:03:58 pm »

He might have been just a mental midget? but still theres a bit too much of that kind of crap going on lately, clowns bringing knives to a fist fight, another clown got the sack yesterday and shot all his kids and then himself, some kooky tart drives up and shoots at kids with a slug gun, and the same day mongrel mob killers steal a van and run over a kid.....what the hell kind of bullshit is all that??? Time to get together people, organise the nieghbourhoods to keep these insane fuckers out of the way.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 03:40:57 am by bumphead benny » Report Spam   Logged

k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 09:44:58 pm »

it looks like this man needed alot of help.
He will not face court until at least May and is on suiaside watch.
My heart goes out to the 2 and 7 year old brothers who watch him do it.
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 05:53:05 am »

5 months is a hell of a long time to be languishing inside on watch.
I wonder why he has to wait that long - your court times held up with drug issues like here Kiwi??
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: