An ENGLISH point of veiw..... EATING in the FIFTIES

<< < (5/7) > >>

Calliope:
where's the beetroot?  I dont recall seeing that.

dragontamer:
DO forget the brussel sprouts. :-X

Parsnip too.

We never had spinach, but then mum had several massive silverbeet plants.  Bloody hardy things they were - nothing us kids did to them seems to kill them... knock them back a bit but not for nearly long enough.

We used to sit in the plum trees eating plums after school until we got hives.  We'd spend the morning sitting in mums pea garden (was a tennis court until she decided a garden was far more practical, so there was masses of peas to get through.  She used to sulk that her peas never did well, and there were barely enough to freeze. 

Apples, cherries, kiwifruit and grapes completed the fruit gardens (which were dad's domain).  Mum could be counted on for potato, carrots, peas, beans, cabbage, lettuce, tomato,.....

She only really does lettuce and tomato now - and the fancy ones, not the bog standard iceberg etc.  But those bloody silverbeet plants are still there.   :-\

As for broad beans, I arrived in Christchurch to find the rental Mr DT had organised had a huge vege garden TOTALLY dedicated to broad beans.  Hateful things.  I rang the City Mission and told them they could come and get the lot.  Lovely people arrived with boxes and left with all of them, but also turned over the entire garden for me and cleaned up as well.  I dare say those that ate them got sick of them quick smart too.... I don't think I've ever seen that many beans anywhere but a commercial growers lol

ssweetpea:
Broad beans! Yum!

But only if you take off the little grey jackets or eat them before the little grey jackets turn from green.

I haven't convinced the rest of the family though - I am blaming Mr Sp and his English upbringing for that even though it was my MIL who introduced me to broadbeans. Mum's Auckland garden was never big enough to grow them along with everything else she grew. That is because it takes an awful lot of Hauraki peat moss, compost and lime to grow much of anything well in this suburb. That was before raised beds and no dig gardens.

I have half a dozen broard bean plants flowering in the garden right now - just for me

Ok, they are really good for bringing the bees in as well.

Now if I could find the money to finish rebuilding my half demolished garden.....

nitpicker1:
Dragon said "[She only really does lettuce and tomato now - and the fancy ones, not the bog standard iceberg etc.  But those bloody silverbeet plants are still there./i]"

my first venture into gardening was when schools made space for individual War Effort vege gardens for the pupils. I must have been about 9 or 10. We had to dig our own patch, mine was under pine trees and no seeds seemed to grow for me so I pinched a nicely established silver beet plant from someone else's patch. ...

SSweetP said "Broad beans! Yum!

But only if you take off the little grey jackets or eat them before the little grey jackets turn from green."

There is a variety that has GREEN skins, they are much sweeter and ya don't need to peel them.

robman:
One of the things I remember fondly is the waxy potatoes we had and the way they fried up the next morning for breakfast... in dripping of course. Nothing seems to match that nowadays and the bubble & squeak in an enamelled cast iron pan with a glossy layer of crispy brown stuff on both sides.
Heart attack anyone?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page