Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 03:12:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

“Stick your job up your....”

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “Stick your job up your....”  (Read 118 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: October 30, 2012, 11:35:55 am »

Hutt bus driver gets $10,000 after sacking

By TIM DONOGHUE - The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Tuesday, 30 October 2012

ANGRY WORDS: Cazna Waaka was a bus driver for Valley Flyer for 13 years but her tenure ended on a bad note. — PHIL REID/Fairfax NZ.
ANGRY WORDS: Cazna Waaka was a bus driver for Valley Flyer for 13 years but her tenure ended
on a bad note. — PHIL REID/Fairfax NZ.

EVER WANTED to tell the boss to stick the job where the sun don't shine? A Hutt Valley bus driver did and has been awarded $10,000 after her hasty sacking.

Cazna Waaka, 44, of Taita, learned on an early shift in January that a cousin had died in her native King Country, and she planned to ask her Valley Flyer bosses for time off to attend the tangi. When she got to the Waterloo depot, she had her two children, aged 5 and 11, on the bus with her. Regional operations manager Lori Bradley noticed the children and asked why they were unattended on the bus with the engine running.

Ms Waaka, a driver with 13 years experience, responded: "Well, who else is supposed to look after my children then, eh?"

She then became frustrated that Ms Bradley was not listening to her, Employment Relations Authority member Michele Ryan said. Ms Waaka said Ms Bradley told her to "go home now", to which Ms Waaka responded: "Fine then, I will, you're a f**king bitch anyway."

The authority heard that Ms Bradley responded by walking back towards Ms Waaka and said: "I would watch what you say to me if you want to keep your job."

Ms Waaka said she then told Ms Bradley: "You can stick your job up your f**king arse."

Ms Bradley told the authority she felt intimidated by Ms Waaka and described her behaviour as "vicious".

Valley Flyer further told the authority Ms Waaka had repudiated her employment agreement as her behaviour constituted "gross insubordination".

However, Ms Ryan found Valley Flyer had not complied with its own agreed disciplinary process. She ordered it to pay Ms Waaka $6000 for that failure and a further $4000 for unjustified dismissal. She also found Ms Waaka was 50 per cent responsible for the situation that gave rise to the unjustified dismissal.

Ms Waaka agreed yesterday that mistakes were made on both sides. "At the time it happened, everything was on top of me," she said. "I had just learned about my cousin's tangi. I found myself more of a mother than a bus driver."

"I'd been a union delegate for 10 years and I think they were happy to pay the money to get rid of me. I've still got a lot of good friends who are bus drivers."

The unexpected $10,000 windfall would go to good use, she said.

"I'm getting married in the new year. The money will help to pay for the wedding in Upper Hutt."

Her partner is also a bus driver. "I don't think I should name him — fullstop."

Shane McMahon, chief operating officer of NZ Bus, which owns Valley Flyer, wished Ms Waaka "all the best for her future".

Employment lawyer Peter Cullen said a general rule was that if an employee told the boss in colourful language to stick the job, the worker could expect to be sacked. "But employers should calm down, let the dust settle and go through a proper process."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/hutt-valley/7879028/Hutt-bus-driver-gets-10-000-after-sacking
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 11:39:54 am »

I did that once.

Back in 1976, I told a boss literally to “stick your job up your arse”.

It felt bloody good too!  Grin

Mind you, I already had another job arranged (paying much better) for immediate start, and I didn't want to work out the required notice, so by telling the boss where to stick his job, he responded by sacking me on the spot, which meant that I didn't have to work that required notice, but still got paid for it anyway as required by the law at the time. I'm still doing the job I already had arranged prior to telling the then current boss where to stick his job.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Magoo
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:04 pm »

She shouldn't have got a cent.   I hope any one  who thinks about hiring her googles her name first.
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 03:01:03 pm »

Letter in the Dom Post from the bus driver in question

Because of the exposure of my case, I've been bombarded with messages from readers, some good and some not so good. However, that was to be expected.

What I did get from it was that, because not all the facts were revealed, people came to their own conclusions, and I'd like to set the record straight. I'm not proud of what I said in the heat of the moment, nor am I implying that it's OK to do so.

Mistakes were made on both sides; both sides have paid for it and learnt from it. I suggest people obtain all the facts before making judgment on something they know so little about.

CAZNA WAAKA

Taita

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/comment/letters-to-the-editor/7892323/Letter-The-bus-driver-elaborates

Yep - Agree with what she says.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 03:17:43 pm »

Yep good point .. dont believe everything u read in the media .. many facts are left out cos they would destroy a good story!
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: