Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 10:23:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Vandalising Cemetaries - Scum of the Earth

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vandalising Cemetaries - Scum of the Earth  (Read 146 times)
Alicat
« on: October 19, 2012, 02:03:01 pm »

Wilful damage of peoples homes and properties is appalling. It is a senseless act by little wankers, but desecration of headstones? There is nothing lower in my opinion.

A new news release is available for you to view on the Police website:

Title: Headstone damage

Auckland Police have initiated an investigation into the damage and desecration of headstones and graves in a Jewish part of a Karangahape Road cemetery.

Media reports say the damage appears to have occurred overnight but Police inquiries with the cemetery management and Auckland Council may enable us to get a more accurate estimate of when it was done.

Police are urging anyone with information about who is responsible for the spray-painted damage to contact Auckland City Police inquiry section on 09 302 6400 or e-mail acn@police.govt.nz

ENDS       
Issued by Noreen Hegarty
Auckland City Police Communications Manager
Ph 09 302 6947 or 0274-951-589

Please view the full news release online at:

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/33088.html

Thanks,

New Zealand Police
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Alicat
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:04:05 pm »

A new news release is available for you to view on the Police website:

Title: Vandalism witnesses wanted

Police inquiries into the vandalised Jewish graves and headstones today have established the damage must have occurred sometime since Wednesday afternoon.

Police photography section has attended the Karangahape Rd cemetery scene where several graves and headstones were found to have been spray-painted with offensive symbols and abuse although there does not appear to be any structural damage to the graves.

Police are working closely with the Jewish community and Auckland Council, which aims to have the paint removed off all the vandalised surfaces by the end of the day.

Anyone with information about who might be responsible is urged to contact Auckland Police on 302 6400 or e-mail acn@police.govt.nz

Anonymous informants can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

ENDS       
Issued by Noreen Hegarty

Please view the full news release online at:

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/33090.html

Thanks,

New Zealand Police
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:06:37 pm »

I hope the spirits of those buried there haunt the scumbags who did this for the rest of their lives. May they NEVER rest in peace for what they have done. There is no excuse for it - there is no reason or excuse imaginable. I cannot comprehend how their minds work.

My Great Uncle's grave was one of those Kiwis vandalised in Syria recently.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:40:52 pm »

I wonder if they're the same people who tagged a piece of artwork in Elliott Street overnight.

I was on the way back to the Crowne Plaza Hotel after last night's APO concert in the Auckland Town Hall and a bunch of artists were painting a mural on a set of stairs leading into a building in Elliott Street. The owner of the building was in attendance watching them, so they obviously had his permission. It was an awesome piece of artwork, even though they still had quite a bit to do before it was finished. I stopped and chatted to the artists (who had a compressor set up and were using spray guns) and also the building owner and mentioned that I was going to take a photo of it in the morning. This morning I checked out of the hotel and took the lift down to the Elliott Street entrance enroute to Queen Street and the airport bus, and discovered that taggers had hit the artwork overnight and completely stuffed it. Bugger! So I didn't even bother to get my camera out.

Perhaps the perpetrators were the same scrotes who hit the cemetery?
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 03:18:46 pm »

this is unacceptable .. word is going out for a rally outside the cemetery tomorrow.

Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Alicat
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:03:59 am »

A new alert is available for you to view on the Police website:

District: Auckland City

Vandalism

Short description: Vandalism

Full description:
MEDIA RELEASE                         October 19, 2012

Vandalism witnesses wanted

Police inquiries into the vandalised Jewish graves and headstones today have established the damage must have occurred sometime since Wednesday afternoon.

Police photography section has attended the Karangahape Rd cemetery scene where several graves and headstones were found to have been spray-painted with offensive symbols and abuse although there does not appear to be any structural damage to the graves.

Police are working closely with the Jewish community and Auckland Council, which aims to have the paint removed off all the vandalised surfaces by the end of the day.

Anyone with information about who might be responsible is urged to contact Auckland Police on 302 6400 or e-mail acn@police.govt.nz

Anonymous informants can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

ENDS       
Issued by Noreen Hegarty

You can also view the full details of the alert online at:

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/updates/33092

Thanks,

New Zealand Police
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 11:07:57 am »

Grave Attack Sickening

The desecration of Jewish graves with anti-semitic messages at a central Auckland cemetery is "sickening", Race Relations Commissioner Joris de Bres says.

Police are appealing for information after about 20 gravestones were vandalised at the Symonds Street Cemetery, on the corner of Symonds St and Karangahape Rd, sometime between Wednesday afternoon and Friday morning, when the damage was discovered.

Some headstones had large graffiti swastikas crudely sprayed on them, while others had expletive-ridden anti-semitic messages scrawled over them.

"I am saddened and sickened by this," de Bres said.

"I am sorry that the Jewish community has had to experience this again. I know that New Zealanders of all faiths and ethnicities will feel the same as I do and offer their support to the Jewish community."

He said this kind of anti-semitism is rare, and the Auckland Council deserves credit for removing the damage quickly.

The cemetery, Auckland's first, has long been the target of vandalism and also attracts people sleeping rough.

Yesterday, New Zealand Jewish Council president Stephen Goodman said it was incredibly disappointing to see the damage.

He believed the last such attack was on a Wellington cemetery in 2005.

Goodman said attacks like this usually came after international unrest but he couldn't think of anything specific that would have sparked the latest incident.

There is a CCTV camera nearby but he was not pinning his hopes on retrieving any incriminating evidence for police.

He said he had raised concerns with Auckland Council in the past about security at the site.   

Earlier this year the Waitemata Local Board agreed to a $1.6 million funding boost to improve maintenance and security at the cemetery, among other things.

The much-needed spend was to clean up vegetation, make pathways safer, and better maintain grave sites.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/7841626/Grave-attack-sickening
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 05:20:02 pm »

if we stopped and thought about what these headstone contain then surely we should be doing something to preserve them ...

older ones have deteriorated over the years as they have been exposed to the elements and is some cases the original inscriptions have become hard to read ...

surely  someone out there has come up with a coating that could be applied to ALL headstones in a cemetery ?

Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 06:44:17 pm »

2 men arrested for this

job well done NZ Police
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
akadaka
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 06:53:18 pm »

as far as i know they never caught the assholes who stole all those bronze plaques off the RSA graves last year.They did get the scrap metal dealer but he kept his mouth shut!
Report Spam   Logged

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 05:32:44 am »

Home defaced with Nazi emblems
 By Andrew Koubaridis A_Koubaridis

5:30 AM Monday Oct 22, 2012

Police looking at possible link to desecration of Jewish graves.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10842076

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: