Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 11:20:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Poor Yogi

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor Yogi  (Read 3733 times)
dragontamer
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 03:01:11 pm »

Oh Yogi is SMART enough to work that out.  It's the stubborn factor that she's got to break through. 
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 04:26:11 pm »

Oh Yogi is SMART enough to work that out.  It's the stubborn factor that she's got to break through. 

...and it doesn't help that when I relayed the 'goings-on' to the Vet Nurses and Vet, they were all laughing at Yogi's antics.

They did tell me I am handling him the right way by nabbing him while he's eating. I have also arranged that he can go and stay there at short notice at the end of next week when I go to Auckland to see Mary Poppins if my flatmate can't manage him.

And yes SP - Yogi is VERY smart, but he likes a challenge ... and I am that challenge
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 08:40:37 pm »

Right ... Yogi challenged me again and growled at me. I dished up his food and while he was eating it I gave him his Insulin. Food came first!

He's had his Clomicalm and is now settled for the night.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 08:04:41 am »

Flatmate said she wanted to do the Insulin this morning. I told her eaxctly what she needed to do as it's a very small window of opportunity. Yogi saw her coming while he was eating and did an 180o turn so that he was facing her. I turned him round smart and she got it in. Personally, I think Yogi is going to challenge every single time ... cos he can
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 10:30:59 am »

Too bad reverse psychology isn't going to work on him.

When my friends son was diagnosed with diabetes and he was beating his mum up over it and being a royal pain in the arse about his shots etc, she sent him to live with me for a month.  I was hopeless as giving the shots and basically turned it into a dart and where it hit was where it went in.  After about a week of my miserable attempts he took over doing it himself and never looked back.

We are still friends though and he pops up on a lot of my facebook postings with a cheeky comment. 
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 05:01:33 pm »

That's a very generous offer thanks DT Are you sure a month will be long enough?
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 08:02:16 pm »

Shocked

Ask Jason on my friends list what it's like to be at the receiving end of one of my injections....

No, better not, I think he's just finished therapy.

I can't do it.  I'm hopeless.  I even stuck him through my thumb once because I can't look at the needle.  I was a mess.  Hysterical.  Dad got a phone call "I'm going to die from insulin poisoning". 

There is very real reasons why I'm not a nurse.  Blood is one.  Needles is the other. 

Get him on a pill - I'm ace at delivering pills into defiant moggie throats.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 08:12:20 pm »

Shocked

Ask Jason on my friends list what it's like to be at the receiving end of one of my injections....

No, better not, I think he's just finished therapy.

I can't do it.  I'm hopeless.  I even stuck him through my thumb once because I can't look at the needle.  I was a mess.  Hysterical.  Dad got a phone call "I'm going to die from insulin poisoning". 

There is very real reasons why I'm not a nurse.  Blood is one.  Needles is the other. 

Get him on a pill - I'm ace at delivering pills into defiant moggie throats.

PMSL

No pills for Insulin - has to be jabs sadly.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 07:25:36 am »

Yogi update ... he is back at the Vet Clinic hospitalised today and overnight for on-going blood sugars throughout the day to see if he is on the correct Insulin dose. Yogi will have these regular Glucose Curves done until they are happy with his Glucose levels.

I think he is looking better, but he is being a challenge over the Insulin still. We seem to have it almost under control by attacking him with the injections while he's eating. The fact that he is extra hungry at the moment helps.

Eve has him today and Yogi LOVES Eve.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 04:17:16 pm »

Some good news ...

Yogi spent yesterday (and overnight) at the Vet again. It is 2 weeks since he started the Insulin and the results are amazing already. Yogi's Glucose was 24.7 before he started the Insulin, and yesterday they did regular blood sugars throughout the day. He started the day yesterday with 9.3 at 8.00am followed by 5.5 at midday then 6.9 at 4.00pm.

Considering they were striving to get his Glucose to be consistently under 12 on Insulin, the results are dramatic.

His Insulin dose has been decreased and Eve is so excited about the results, she has asked to have him back next Monday (after only one week) for another day of Glucose Curve. Usually, they wait another 3-4 weeks. He is still on Insulin injections twice a day, but I can see the dose being possibly cut down even lower. He will be on a special diet for the rest of his life and never allowed dry food again (Yogi's not happy about that!) but the prognosis is much better than it could be.

Eve told me yesterday repeatedly that the excellent results we are seeing are because of me picking up the diagnosis and getting him to them so soon.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 06:23:17 pm »

Yogi is in remission. He is now off the Insulin Injections and will stay on a special diet for the rest of his life. The remission won't be permanent but it's good for teh moment. Yogi will go back in another week for an all day Glucose Curve again to make sure we're still on track.

He's a very lucky boy and I'm very pleased not to be giving injections twice a day to an unco-operative Burmese. They havebeen gradually decreasing the Insulin for the last 3 weeks and Yogi has done well.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 10:29:19 am »

Yay! Hope Yogi stays well for a long time!

Sally is doing well on the gel now although she has not turned up for a couple of doses. We get her the moment she does turn up.

That means at the moment she is getting them in the morning while she is asleep. She is so surprised that she forgets to runaway afterwards. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 06:50:49 am »

Sally is doing well on the gel now although she has not turned up for a couple of doses. We get her the moment she does turn up.

That means at the moment she is getting them in the morning while she is asleep. She is so surprised that she forgets to runaway afterwards. Cheesy

They can be little shits about their medication!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 07:03:45 am »

I've come to realise that the title of this thread is probably inaccurate.

Now that he is obviously feeling better, Yogi's back to bullying and harrassing the girls. I had some long tiring and busy early shifts on Thursday and Friday. I was up at 4.40am both mornings so was desperate for a sleep in yesterday morning before my late shifts. Yogi started hassling me at 5.30am then went on the prowl. He wanted me to get up and feed him. My cats have never had a routine becasue my flatmate and I are both shift workers. The cats have always had their breakfast when one of us gets up. It could be anywhere between 5.00am and 9.00am. There has been no issue with that from any of them. They stay in bed until I get up - simple!

Yogi is hungrier now - the food absorbs a lot quicker because of the Diabetes so he needs top ups. I'm sympathetic - I really am BUT I like my bed. I like my sleep and I sure as hell don't like having to get up earlier than planned to be a bloody referee between the 'incidents' always caused by Yogi.

Yesterday morning I ended up giving in and getting up at 6.45am to feed them. Yogi then bounced and chased Mitzi and Bailey so I threw him out into the conservatory (the cat door is out there too). He cried like a baby cos he wanted to come back to bed with me - tough! I got up and pottered around at 8.30am. Yogi could see me through the glass doors but I ignored him (they hate being ignored so that is my secret weapon). Little shit then started pulling mouthfuls of wool out of the sheepskin rug I have in the conservatory. I opened the door but ignored Yogi. He followed me around crying cos I was ignoring him. I gave in after about 30 minutes and we were friends again.

Poor Yogi - my arse!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 03:10:45 pm »

Yogi update ....

Yogi went in for a dental today with his beloved Eve (Yogi LOVES Eve). He didn't lose any teeth - I had been dreaming thinking that he might need his 4 fangs removed because of gingervitis. Eve rang to say that although there was gingervitis, it wasn't too bad at all so need for fang removal.

The good news is that Yogi's glucose is 6.5 meanting the Diabetes is well in remission and he has maintained his glucose levels being under 12 - which is what the goal was.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 06:19:22 pm »

Awesome.

Now, do you want me to bribe Eve about the fangs?
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 07:58:27 pm »

Glad to hear that the diabetes is under control.

Him still having his fangs - is that a mixed blessing? Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 07:43:58 am »

Awesome.

Now, do you want me to bribe Eve about the fangs?

Eve did think long and hard about teeth extraction for Mum's sake but couldn't really justify extraction. It was considered though.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 02:45:34 pm »

Glad to hear that the diabetes is under control.

Him still having his fangs - is that a mixed blessing? Wink

Very much a mixed blessing
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 09:54:02 am »

Yogi was quite unwell yesterday. He didn't show much interest in food and slept all day. He was very quiet - out of character for my wee man! I decided to monitor him overnight and see how he was today before ringing the Vet, however he seems better this morning and was hungry again. He's on antibiotics becasue of his dental last Monday so maybe they were making him feel under the weather.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 04:36:37 pm »

? update ?
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Alicat
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 05:57:46 am »

? update ?

Yogi is back to normal - attitude included. I was fairly convinced it was the antibiotics so stopped them 9then rrang and checked with Eve that it was okay to do so). She agreed with me that he was reacting to the antibiotics. They have made a note on his file not to give him those drugs again. It was also pretty hot here so that was affecting him as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2013, 11:19:09 am »

NEWSFLASH
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2013, 11:20:48 am »

Yogi had his annual check up this morning (with Eve of course) and his glucose is 5.7. He is still in remission. Yogi got loads of cuddles from Laura (Nurse) and Eve (Vet) and was such a good boy when they attacked him with needles for his blood tests.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2013, 10:15:00 pm »

Woop Woop
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: