Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 08:35:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Poor Yogi

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor Yogi  (Read 3741 times)
Alicat
« on: October 08, 2012, 10:25:49 pm »

Yogi - my big strong strapping Burmese Boy became very unwell yesterday evening. Over the last week he has lost weight and his coat at times wasn't as glossy as usual. I rang the Vet first thing this morning  - there were no appointments left but without hesitation they found a mid morning. For no particular reason other than a feeling, I told Tracey (one of my absolutely wonderful Vets) that I was suspecting Diabetes even though he had no symptoms. It was just a feeling. Some of you remember my wonderful boy Sam and his great niece Zara both of whom ended up with Diabetes later in life. Neither of them had symptoms either but I had a feeling with them as well.

Yogi had some blood and urine tests this morning - his Glucose is 24.7 (should be 3.5-5.9). Although I am waiting for more results, it is Diabetes. Once the other results come through the dose of Insulin can be established. He will have 12 hourly Insulin Injections. Poor Yogi is so miserable. He will start to feel better once he stabilises. I hope he does stabilise.

Both Sam and Zara died of complications from Diabetes - Ketoacidosis which is really nasty. Once they go into Ketoacidosis Crisis, they go into septic shock. Tracey said that she was gobsmacked when she got the Glucose results back because yet again I had come up with the diabetes call. She is hoping that because we have got it early on, that we can get him right - I hope so.

Yogi might be a bully and a hood who has put me in hospital 3 times with serious cat bites, but I love him - he's a real cool dude.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dragontamer
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:47:03 am »

Poor Yogi! 

You know I hope the stroppy sod feels back on form in no time, and the treatment is easy and stress free.

xx
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:39:37 am »

Poor Yogi! 

You know I hope the stroppy sod feels back on form in no time, and the treatment is easy and stress free.

xx

Tracey said Yogi was wonderful when they took the blood test - he always is for them apparently. I've given Insulin Jabs before so it's just a matter of starting that up all over again. The sooner he starts that the better but we can't start until we have the last blood and urine results in.

He's sound asleep in teh spare room at the moment. I've got them all curfewed today. I want Yogi inside keeping warm so the others have to be confined too. There would not be a problem if a certain little former Hastings resident didn't unlock the cat door when she feels like it. The door between the house and conservatory is closed firmly (the cat door is in the conservatory).

I feel so sorry for poor Yogi - he's so miserable and has no idea why.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 03:20:19 pm »

The last of the results are in - confirmed Diabetes.

Yogi is being admitted to the Clinic Hospital tomorrow morning for a few days for Glucose Curves and they will get him started on teh Insulin. They will have him until at least Monday afternoon. Yogi is not going to be a happy boy tomorrow morning. He is miserable enough as it is and all he wants is for me to be cuddling him. He won't like sleeping without a human
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 09:00:51 pm »

Crickey! and I thought we were jumping through hoops with Sally and her hyperthyroidism.

Pilling the little minx by putting them in her food was no longer working. She was loosing weight again - down to 2.7kg.

Pilling her manually twice a day was going to be a nightmare - that cat is all legs, muscle covered legs. Getting a pill and a half into her in the morning and another pill at night is not something I wish to do every day. Fortunately there was another option.

Now someone has to hold her while I measure 0.1ml of gel out of a syringe on to a rubber finger stall and rub the gel inside her ear.

Hope Yogi comes right or responds well to his new medicated routine.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Yogi.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 06:40:16 am »

The lengths we go to for our babies!!! Sally likes to give her parents a challenge obviously

Yogi has had his breakfast - he ate the new dry food that he's to be on without complaint and even seemed to enjoy it. I will give him some soft food shortly before taking him in to the Clinic. I'll be taking one of his favourite polar fleece blankets to go in his cage. He's not going to be happy. He loves the staff at the Clinic - and is always a good boy for them. He gives them lovely cuddles too but he's never slept overnight not being snuggled up to a human or the other cats. It's dreadful seeing my big strapping lad looking so miserable.

Yogi has always been a larger than life personality. There is barely a hint of the ballsy boy we all know. Hopefully they can get him stabilised on Insulin and we'll see that back.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 07:35:39 am »

Yogi has now been on Insulin for a week. He's on Lantus, which takes longer to take effect, but in the long term is considered a better Insulin.

Yogi looks better than he did and although his coat lacks the shine and lustre that we expect of him, he's making head way. It is obvious the Insulin and the new M/D Hill's Science Prescription Diet are making him feel better (he's definitely not even 80% yet but he's better than he was). He's a bright boy, so I would expect that he'd realise that the injections make him feel better. When Sam was having Insulin 12 hourly, he would appear and sit on my knee waiting for the jab so obviously he knew it was making him feel better.

So ... by my reckoning Yogi should be grateful ... right?

Apparently not. The first week up until last night has been okay, but last night I tried to give him his Insulin before going to work (night shift). He flatly refused to have it. I had about 5 attempts and he challenged me face on every single time, threatening to bite me. I went to work without giving him his Insulin and rang my flatmate who was finishing work at 2.00am and asked her to try. Yogi would not let her do it either. When I arrived home from work this morning at 7.30am I tried 3 times and he was not having a bar of it. Flatmate came out and held his head while I gave him the injection.  

I have had 3 hospital admissions from Yogi's bites - two of them serious infections and surgery as a result. I do not need another Yogi bite! Yogi might be popular with his XNC2 Aunties, but just in case you haven't quite grasped it ... Yogi is a bloody little shit.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:54:45 pm by Alicat » Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 07:37:15 am »

... and of course he is an absolute angelic perfect patient for Eve when he's at the Clinic
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:09:14 am »

**Nods sagely**

People tell me that my kids are wonderful wherever they go, and I'm, like, "Mine???"  Other people tell me I'm lucky that they behave when outside of my sphere of influence.  Looks like Yogi subscribes to the same bullshit.  Undecided

Thomas is in the area.... do you want me to send him around with his welding gloves?  He can always get more.....

Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 09:57:08 am »

I have two words - Sally - pills - nuff said

I didn't tell you how I got her to the vet on Friday - it involved wedging Bobby in a gap too small for him - seriously I plonked him in the gap between Rebecca's bed and the wall all four legs hanging in air trying to send him under the bed to chase Sally out, locking the cat door and removing a drawer in Rebecca's bed then cornering and wrangling her snakelike legs to get Sally into a carrier when she shot up the hall like a rocket and was halted by the locked door.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 03:22:01 pm »

I have two words - Sally - pills - nuff said

I didn't tell you how I got her to the vet on Friday - it involved wedging Bobby in a gap too small for him - seriously I plonked him in the gap between Rebecca's bed and the wall all four legs hanging in air trying to send him under the bed to chase Sally out, locking the cat door and removing a drawer in Rebecca's bed then cornering and wrangling her snakelike legs to get Sally into a carrier when she shot up the hall like a rocket and was halted by the locked door.

Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 03:23:20 pm »

**Nods sagely**

People tell me that my kids are wonderful wherever they go, and I'm, like, "Mine???"  Other people tell me I'm lucky that they behave when outside of my sphere of influence.  Looks like Yogi subscribes to the same bullshit.  Undecided

Thomas is in the area.... do you want me to send him around with his welding gloves?  He can always get more.....

I was thinking welding gloves as I drifted off to sleep this morning while I was planning this afternoon/evenings episode.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 05:15:30 pm »

At least Sally doesn't bite even if keeping hold of her is like trying to hold several live eels. She has never been a carry around cat.

Seriously I would try wearing leather gloves, the cheap ones from The Warehouse would do, to try and get Yogi.

If you are successful he may learn like Sally does and disappear at the sight of the gloves but them a sneak attack may work.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 05:46:33 pm »

At least Sally doesn't bite even if keeping hold of her is like trying to hold several live eels. She has never been a carry around cat.

Seriously I would try wearing leather gloves, the cheap ones from The Warehouse would do, to try and get Yogi.

If you are successful he may learn like Sally does and disappear at the sight of the gloves but them a sneak attack may work.

The leather gloves .. or any gloves (including welding gloves) wouldn't work. You have to lift the skin with one hand while popping the needle under the skin with the other to give the injection.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 05:52:04 pm »

I made about 4 attempts tonight before deeing them to give Yogi his Insulin. He and I had another stand off.

Me:     Yogi, I'm not feeding you until you have your Insulin.
Yogi:    I'm not having it.
Me:     You're having the Insulin.
Yogi:    Make me

... and so it went on. I went away and had a shower and washed my hair - came back out and had another stand off with Yogi. I went away and dried my hair - came back - same thing.

Me:     I'm the grown up - you're the cat. You will have the Insulin.
Yogi:    F**** off

... so I dished up their dinner. Yogi was hungry. I tried to give him the Insulin while he was eating. One attmept from him at biting me but he gave in to food. I managed to give him teh injection while he was eating.

Yogi:           1
Yogi's Mum:  1

Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 07:09:26 pm »

It's not funny but that had me giggling. 

I'm not going to ask who taught Yogi to swear.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 06:40:55 am »

It's not funny but that had me giggling. 

I'm not going to ask who taught Yogi to swear.

He must have been listening to the neighbours
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 06:41:53 am »

Yogi's Mum is home from night shift. She's tired and not to be messed with ....

Yogi:           1
Yogi's Mum:  2
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 08:58:06 am »

Yay - Alicat was in The Zone!

Now ya gotta stay there for the next few weeks till he gets it through his stubborn brain that this is the New Rules!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 01:07:53 pm »

Okay ... I'm up now. Not sure what zone I'm in, but Yogi - I'm in charge not you .... no really ... I'M in charge.

I'M in charge ... yes I am
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 05:11:32 pm »

Well .... 3 attempts before I could get the needle anywhere near him but finally got him pinned on the kitchen bench. He growled at me but I told him that Aunty DT told me to be really firm and stay in the zone. Aunty DT better watch her back next time she visits. Yogi has a very very long memory

Yogi:            1
Yogi's Mum:   3

(I only started keeping score after the little shit darling started challenging me over the Insulin).
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 05:33:02 pm »

Auntie DT thinks the next visit might need to be via a cafe....

Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 07:44:42 am »

Auntie DT thinks the next visit might need to be via a cafe....

Surely Aunty DT is not scared of a little pussycat?
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 07:54:09 am »

I finished night shift yesterday morning. I was really tired when I went to bed last night. I wanted to have a bit of a sleep in this morning NOT be woken up by a prowling brown bear!!!

After several attempts to make me get out of bed at 6.30am and open the conservatory door so he could go out (cat door is out there) - he propmpted me to lift the duvet ... so he could climb back into bed right? No. By lifting the duvet it meant I was exposing my hand and arm. Quick as a flash he bit my arm. I smacked him. He jumped off the bed. The poor girls got spooked but stayed under the duvet and went back to sleep anyway.

Yogi carried on prowling then settled for about half an hour then came and jumped Bailey. She got out of bed, poor Mitzi shot out of bed and came face to face with the brown bear. He chased her with a bottle brush tail. That's the final warning for me. I got out of bed much earlier than I wanted or needed to!

There was a stand off. I cheated. I put his food on the bench. He was obviously ravenous so while his face was in the food bowl and his back turned ....

Yogi:            1
Yogi's Mum:   4
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 01:30:19 pm »

Now if he is smart he will begin to associate getting a quick jab with getting food.

Sally is not that smart Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: