Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 07:21:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Gay marriage faces vote

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay marriage faces vote  (Read 1426 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: July 26, 2012, 02:27:40 pm »

im going to stock up on popcorn nibbles and drinks and sit back an watch all the religious bigots have a field day as they scramble to come up with all sorts of sayings [ like God Hates Gays .... God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve ( which i always thought strange cos i thought god made EVERYONE ...? ) opposing human rights for gays and Lesbians ....

Gay marriage is ''the reality of our times'' and should be voted in to law, Labour leader David Shearer says.

A members bill to allow same sex couples to marry [ http://www.parliament.nz/NR/rdonlyres/07819230-A1EF-4A7B-B5C2-9D7A830AC40E/222836/MarriageDefinitionofMarriageAmendmentBill_1.pdf ] was today drawn from a ballot and will be debated by Parliament - potentially as early as next month.

The bill, led by Labour MP Louisa Wall, is likely to be subject to a conscience vote but will have the support of at least Shearer and all Green Party MPs. Prime Minister John Key has previously indicated he would vote for a bill for gay marriage to at least be considered by a select committee.

A number of MPs - including Key and deputy Prime Minister Bill English - voted against legislation in 2004 that allowed same sex couples to enter civil unions. Many of those MPs still in Parliament may also vote against Wall's bill.

But Shearer today said Key's support for gay marriage may be ''some indication what the National Party mood is''.

''I think it's got a good chance of going through,'' Shearer said.

"I think it's the reality of our times. It just effectively puts in place what's already in existence."

US President Barack Obama came out in favour of gay marriage in May saying gay and lesbian Americans ''should be treated fairly and equally''.

After Obama announced his stance, Key added his backing for the first time and Wall introduced her bill to the member's ballot.

Scottish legislators yesterday announced plans to allow gay marriage.

Shearer said those developments indicated a ''movement across the world in support of gay marriage''.

Civil unions were not enough for same sex couples, he said.

''For many people, they believe this is about marriage and they want to be recognised in exactly the same way. It's about marriage equality at the end of the day - those people having the same rights,'' Shearer said.

Maori Party co-leader Pita Sharples said he would support legalising gay marriage, saying it was an idea whose time had come.

Sharples was among a number of politicians who came out in favour of the bill today.

"The time has come, the community is in the right pace for it."

The drawing of Wall's bill from the ballot capped a heady 24 hours for Labour.

The party scored a rare double coup in Parliament last night with two of its other member's bills - for an extension to paid parental leave and to ''Mondayise'' public holidays - passing by a single vote against National Party opposition.

With those and three other bills clearing the debating chamber, five new spaces opened up on the member's ballot and four of those were today filled by Labour bills.

The Government is expected to fight David Clark's Minimum Wage Amendment Bill, which aims to increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour.

Clayton Cosgrove's State-Owned Enterprises and Crown Entities (Protecting New Zealand's Strategic Assets) Amendment Bill entrenches state owned enterprises and requires a 75 per cent majority in Parliament to sell assets or force a referendum.

Shane Jones' Ombudsmen (Cost Recovery) Amendment Bill would allow the Ombudsmen to set guidelines for recovering the costs of its investigations from the agencies being investigated.

The fifth bill is in the name of Green MP Catherine Delahunty.

The Resource Management (Restricted Duration of Certain Discharge and Coastal Permits) Amendment Bill would prohibit the pollution of waterways which is currently allowed under exceptional circumstances.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/7354142/Parliament-to-vote-on-gay-marriage-bill
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:46:18 pm »

Anti gay-marriage website shut down

A website dedicated to opposing gay marriage has been removed from the internet the day it was launched after it was the target of one of the "largest unprecedented attacks" on a website in New Zealand.

The "Protect Marriage" website, launched today by Family First, crashed in a matter of hours as a result of a "large-scale denial of service attack" according to the site's webhost.

It was back up and running at 1pm, but had been removed completely by the webhosting company later this afternoon, to "protect its own servers".

"Due to large scale Denial of Service attacks against this domain it has been decided to ensure the stability and security of our servers and network, this account has been removed," said a message from 24/7 Hosting.

Launched to oppose MP Louisa Wall's same-sex marriage bill drawn recently from the ballot, Family First director Bob McCroskrie said the site was apparently the target of "the largest unprecedented attack on a website in New Zealand history".

McCroskrie said he had expected "a good amount of debate" on the issue, but the attack was "obviously a desperate attempt" at shutting down one side of the argument.

He said Family First were now working with an international webhosting company with advanced security and the website would be live again by tomorrow.

In another setback for the Family First campaign, US band Train has also reportedly requested the website cease using their song "Marry Me".

Train caught wind their song was being used by Family First after a Twitter user alerted the band their song was being used on an "anti gay marriage website".

A user named @Mikey_J_S6 tweeted the band last night saying: "Why does your music video appear on a homophobic lobby group's website?". Train responded saying "Didn't know. Getting it off asap. Tnx 4 tip".

McCroskrie said they had not yet heard from Train, but if they were asked to take the song down they would.

"We're not going to go by some post on Twitter, but if the band contact us then we will certainly take it down."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/7378769/Anti-gay-marriage-website-shut-down
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 10:25:56 pm »

the Class Clown at it again .....

ffs doesnt he realise that HE is representing those NZers who voted for him ......

and the voting is a conscience vote so hes dictating to his MPs how they will vote ......

guess hes just lost votes in 2014 from his gay members .......

NZ First playing games over stance on gay marriage

There appears to be game playing going on with New Zealand First's voting position on gay marriage.

Leader Winston Peters says his party "won't vote" for Labour MP Louisa Wall's bill but neither he nor the party's media team will clarify whether that means they will abstain, or oppose the bill.

He wants a referendum on the issue, saying it should be up to the people to decide, not a few selected politicians.

"So we will not be voting for this bill, we have argued for a referendum. We believe there should be enough members of parliament who have got enough confidence in the public of this country to trust the public to decide this issue after a reasonable debate."

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/14419671/nz-first-playing-games-over-stance-on-gay-marriage/

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:01:03 am by Newtown-Fella » Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:16:02 am »

My personal belief is that each and every one of us has a responsibility to our geneology to ensure the survival of our blood line. Being gay makes that a bit hard. However I also believe nobody has the right to dictate who you screw (providing they are of legal age and same species) and therefore find myself supporting this bill.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 08:43:43 am »

providing they are of legal age and same species

and know

The Difference Between Lust and Love

Posted: 06/14/11 09:30 AM ET

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-orloff-md/lust-love-difference_b_876162.html

which are two totally different emotions that so many people will never be able to distinguish between

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Magoo
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:09:57 am »

The bill, led by Labour MP Louisa Wall
Never heard of her before, will never hear of her again.   Just there to push her own barrow.    Roll Eyes.  Just as well there are not any more pressing matters she could be attending to at the moment.   
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 09:15:12 am »

My personal belief is that each and every one of us has a responsibility to our geneology to ensure the survival of our blood line. Being gay makes that a bit hard. However I also believe nobody has the right to dictate who you screw (providing they are of legal age and same species) and therefore find myself supporting this bill.

No problem with incest then?

Personally I do not approve of incest or adultery but I don't have much of a problem with gay marriage - not my cup of tea but if they want it I think they should have the same rights as the rest of us. marriage is not the sole property of the religious.

Can you just hear the divorce lawyers rubbing their hands together with glee?
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 10:20:16 am »

The bill, led by Labour MP Louisa Wall
Never heard of her before, will never hear of her again.   Just there to push her own barrow.    Roll Eyes.  Just as well there are not any more pressing matters she could be attending to at the moment. 

youngest Silver Ferns  ...... also played for the Black Ferns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisa_Wall
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 10:57:56 pm »

Lifestyle influences gayness: Colin Craig

Fairfax NZ News | 4:10PM - Saturday, 04 August 2012

HEAD TO HEAD: Labour MP Louisa Wall and Conservative Party leader Colin Craig represent opposite ends of the debate.
HEAD TO HEAD: Labour MP Louisa Wall and
Conservative Party leader Colin Craig
represent opposite ends of the debate.

CONSERVATIVE PARTY leader Colin Craig is once again stirring controversy after saying child abuse can turn a person gay and homosexuality is a choice.

Earlier this week Craig said during a live debate on Stuff that same-sex marriage would recognise polygamous relationships.

Craig took part in a debate about legalising same-sex marriage on TV3's The Nation this morning.

"For homosexual men they are statistically far more likely to suffer child abuses as a child, that is one of the tragedies of our country," he said.

"Is that the sole determinant? Of course not."

Craig said a person's upbringing, role models and lifestyle can also influence whether they chose to be gay.

Labour Party MP Louisa Wall is pushing the bill which would amend the Marriage Act to define it as a union between two people regardless of their sexual orientation or gender.

The amendment to the Marriage Act has sparked intense debate since it was pulled from the ballot recently.

Craig said a referendum should be held before any decision is made.

"I think the majority of New Zealanders still want marriage to be man and woman."

Wall, who featured alongside Craig on The Nation debate, hit back at his claims.

When Craig said homosexuality was a choice, she responded: "Homosexuality isn't a choice Colin. People are born the way they are born."

She said a referendum was a costly exercise that would take too long.

Twitter attracted a flurry of outrage over Craig's remarks.

Martyn Bradbury wrote: "Dear Colin Craig, homosexuality is a ‘choice’ the way breathing is a ‘choice’."

Craig hit the headlines with his comments that if same-sex marriage is legalised  then polygamy must have a legal standing as well.

"If we are going to be consistent, and love is all that matters, then we will have to accept polygamous relationships need recognising as well," he said.

He also said it wasn't "intelligent to pretend that homosexual relationships are normal".

Related news stories:

• Same-sex marriage up for vote

• Anti gay marriage website shut down

• Head to head: Same-sex marriage

• People not judged on sexuality: Key

• Peters calls for gay marriage referendum

• MPs take sides on gay marriage

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/7415895/Lifestyle-influences-gayness-Colin-Craig
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 12:27:04 am »

It is interesting that Craig thinks you will have to allow polygamy. He makes no mention of polyandry. Why should it be men only who can have multiple wives. Perhaps he hates the thought of a woman having more than one husband.

Personally I think all women should have two husbands - An older, very financially secure man to provide her with all her creature conforts, and a younger to attend to those things a much older man doesn't have the stamina for.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 01:15:11 am »

well Mr Colin Craig let me dispel one of your myths that child abuse can turn a person gay .......

ive never heard such a load of crap and if my father was still alive he'd tell you that you dont know what your on about ....

he raised along with my step mum my half brother in a more loving family [ i wasnt raised in the same family unit ] i dare you to find anywhere with no child abuse and my half brother is gay .........

even as i was growing up not once was i ever abused by my father .......unless you call being sent to your room for being naughty or not being allowed to do something you wanted as abuse ....

however i guess there must be thousand of gay men and women out there then since NZ has such a high rate of child abuse ....

Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 08:09:44 am »

Even Jesus had two dads.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 09:05:27 am »

It is interesting that Craig thinks you will have to allow polygamy. He makes no mention of polyandry. Why should it be men only who can have multiple wives. Perhaps he hates the thought of a woman having more than one husband.

Personally I think all women should have two husbands - An older, very financially secure man to provide her with all her creature conforts, and a younger to attend to those things a much older man doesn't have the stamina forGrin

You could have something there
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 01:25:48 pm »

ROFLMAO....the following radio dramatisation (with the hotlinks below) was broadcast on Radio NZ National this morning.

It depicts a typical no principles, pragmatic Nats list MP to an absolute “T”.

CLICK HERE to listen on Windows Media Player (or whatever equivalent player you use to listen to .wav audio files).

Or, you can download and save a MP3 audio file from HERE.

It's bloody hilariously funny!  

Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 01:06:49 pm »

Dump gay marriage bill: Labour MP

Labour MP Louisa Wall is rejecting claims from her own colleague that opposition from crucial but conservative South Auckland Pacific Island voters to her gay marriage bill could cost the party the next election.

The MP for Manuwera had her member's bill pulled from the ballot and it is expect to pass its first reading when it comes before Parliament next month.

It will be a conscience vote and MPs are already being lobbied on the issue by their constituents.

Labour's MP for Mangere Su'a William Sio says he will be voting against the bill because there is widespread opposition within his electorate which has the highest population of Pacific Islanders in New Zealand, making up 58.8 per cent of voters.wrong ... hes afraid of the church .....]

Some ministers in Pacific churches were preaching against the bill and against Labour.typical bigotry reaction from a church and then they wonder why attendance of Sundays has drooped off .......

"This issue cuts deep into fundamental beliefs," he told Radio New Zealand. "It will divide the community."

Sio said the bill was causing unnecessary harm to Labour and should be withdrawn.

"There are more weightier and more pressing issues like holding (Prime Minister) John Key to account for the weakening economy and lack of jobs.

"That's where our priority ought to be, rather than an issue that has the potential to really derail our focus on winning election 2014."

Sio said the gay marriage bill could cost Labour more support than the estimated 30,000 votes it lost in the 2008 election over prostitution law reform, civil unions and anti-smacking laws.

Many Pacific Islanders also live in Wall's electorate but she says she is not getting any resistance from voters.

However, she had written to all religious leaders, not only Pacific leaders, in her electorate explaining what the bill was about and stressing they would not be forced to perform any gay marriages.

"What I am really worried about is misinformation and propaganda."

Wall said she "completely disagreed" her bill could cost Labour the next election.

"Labour will come out strongly in terms of fighting for the rights of all people. This fundamentally is about human rights and the dignity every New Zealand citizen has to access what is an institution that the state moderates, only the state can give out marriage licenses."

Having the Pacific community support Labour's bill was important, she said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/7435955/Dump-gay-marriage-bill-Labour-MP
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 01:37:12 pm »

So I guess it isn't just the so called 'horrid Nats' that show bigotism towards this.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28:15 pm »

Gee!
Its a rare day that a church spokesman and I agree on much - but there it is! Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 02:39:52 pm »

nitz snorts:

nemmind -  however which way the bill goes, it'll only take a generation or two to sort things out again.

Gay or straight baby - the choice could be yours says expert

Published: 8:47PM Tuesday August 07, 2012
Source: ONE News

Parents-to-be may be able to have their unborn child screened for homosexuality within a matter of a few years, according to a visiting American expert in bioethics ...

more at
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/gay-straight-baby-choice-could-yours-says-expert-5011648

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
dragontamer
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 02:57:57 pm »

There is an anomaly in the law in that:

Hetro couples can adopt
Hetro singles can adopt
Gay singles can adopt
Gay couples can't.

Why not simply address that anomaly? 

Any loving parent gay or straight is better than the Kahui's, Witaka, Glassies etc.

Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 03:09:23 pm »

Nearly 20,000 sign against same-sex marriage

An online petition opposing the legalisation of same-sex marriage has been signed by nearly 20,000 people in its first week.

Conservative lobby group Family First launched the petition on its protectmarriage.co.nz website last Monday, as part of its campaign against the marriage equality bill put forward by Labour MP Louisa Wall.

It had gathered 19,928 signatures by 6am this morning.

The petition statement reads: "I support the definition of marriage in New Zealand being maintained as one man one woman. I oppose any attempt to redefine it."

Family First national director Bob McCoskrie said the response was "great news" after a series of early setbacks for the website.

It was taken offline on its first day by a large scale denial of service attack before coming under fire from US band Train for using their song 'Marry Me' without permission.

"There is no shortage of energy and robust debate - and on such an important issue as the role and purpose of marriage, that's great news," Mr McCoskrie said.

"We have been calling for recognition of the value and importance of marriage for a long time. Although distracted by the 'definition' debate, it is still a great opportunity to promote marriage and its important function and purpose in our culture."

Meanwhile, a Labour MP has spoken out against the marriage equality bill over fears it will cost his party at the 2014 general election.

Su'a William Sio, the MP for Mangere, is calling for Ms Wall, a fellow South Auckland MP, to drop the bill.

He told Radio New Zealand the bill was deeply divisive in his electorate, which has the highest Pacific population of any constituency in the country.

It was likely to cost Labour some of its core Pacific support, he said.

"This issue cuts deep into fundamental beliefs and it will divide the community...

"I feel somewhat betrayed by raising issues such as this when there are more prominent, more weightier issues such as jobs and income and putting food on the table and paying for the bills."

Ms Wall said she "completely" disagreed with claims her bill would divide traditional Labour supporters and cost the party at the 2014 election.

"Issues of human rights and eliminating discrimination wherever we see it are fundamental policies of the Labour Party."

She had received support from Maori and Pacific communities, along with a number of church leaders over the bill.

Much of the opposition to the bill was down to inaccurate "scaremongering" such as claims churches would be forced to marry gay couples, she said.

"Fundamentally it's about two people who love each other going to the state and getting their union solemnised."

The select committee process for the bill, which is expected to pass its first reading, was more important than petitions on sites such as protectmarriage.co.nz, Ms Wall said.

An online petition opposing the legalisation of same-sex marriage has been signed by nearly 20,000 people in its first week.

Conservative lobby group Family First launched the petition on its protectmarriage.co.nz website last Monday, as part of its campaign against the marriage equality bill put forward by Labour MP Louisa Wall.

It had gathered 19,928 signatures by 6am this morning.

The petition statement reads: "I support the definition of marriage in New Zealand being maintained as one man one woman. I oppose any attempt to redefine it."

Family First national director Bob McCoskrie said the response was "great news" after a series of early setbacks for the website.

It was taken offline on its first day by a large scale denial of service attack before coming under fire from US band Train for using their song 'Marry Me' without permission.

"There is no shortage of energy and robust debate - and on such an important issue as the role and purpose of marriage, that's great news," Mr McCoskrie said.

"We have been calling for recognition of the value and importance of marriage for a long time. Although distracted by the 'definition' debate, it is still a great opportunity to promote marriage and its important function and purpose in our culture."

Meanwhile, a Labour MP has spoken out against the marriage equality bill over fears it will cost his party at the 2014 general election.

Su'a William Sio, the MP for Mangere, is calling for Ms Wall, a fellow South Auckland MP, to drop the bill.

He told Radio New Zealand the bill was deeply divisive in his electorate, which has the highest Pacific population of any constituency in the country.

It was likely to cost Labour some of its core Pacific support, he said.

"This issue cuts deep into fundamental beliefs and it will divide the community...

"I feel somewhat betrayed by raising issues such as this when there are more prominent, more weightier issues such as jobs and income and putting food on the table and paying for the bills."

Ms Wall said she "completely" disagreed with claims her bill would divide traditional Labour supporters and cost the party at the 2014 election.

"Issues of human rights and eliminating discrimination wherever we see it are fundamental policies of the Labour Party."

She had received support from Maori and Pacific communities, along with a number of church leaders over the bill.

Much of the opposition to the bill was down to inaccurate "scaremongering" such as claims churches would be forced to marry gay couples, she said.

"Fundamentally it's about two people who love each other going to the state and getting their union solemnised."

The select committee process for the bill, which is expected to pass its first reading, was more important than petitions on sites such as protectmarriage.co.nz, Ms Wall said.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 03:38:16 pm »

re http://xtranewscommunity2.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,11964.0/msg,134387.html

ooops, newt?  is there an echo in the house?
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 03:53:16 pm »

There's a few "Donald Ducks" and similar on that petition.
Mind you, I suppose the one promoting deviancy has similar stupidities...

DT, you have a point.  I wonder though, if there were as many infants being brought up in homosexual relationships as heterosexual ones, whether the killings, neglect and abuse would be much different?
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 04:34:03 pm »

There's a few "Donald Ducks" and similar on that petition.
Mind you, I suppose the one promoting deviancy has similar stupidities...

DT, you have a point.  I wonder though, if there were as many infants being brought up in homosexual relationships as heterosexual ones, whether the killings, neglect and abuse would be much different?

hey yak .....if an idiot marries someone with brains does the idiot become brainy or the brainy one become an idiot ?

Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 06:48:31 pm »

Even Jesus had two dads.

yes but like so many with 2 dads... only one was ever seen to have worked and put food on the table Grin
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:28:22 am by AnFaolchudubh » Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 01:45:05 am »

Family First national director Bob McCoskrie said

Is he still stealing oxygen? 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: