Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 07:54:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

1 million eligible for super in 15 years

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 million eligible for super in 15 years  (Read 94 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: July 19, 2012, 02:18:17 pm »

By the late 2020s there could be more than 1 million New Zealanders eligible for superannuation, under the current regime.

According to new population projections from Statistics NZ, in 15 years, people aged 65 and over will outnumber children under 15.

Currently there are 600,000 superannuitants, compared to 900,000 children.

“These trends reflect much lower fertility rates in recent decades, and people continuing to live longer,” says population statistics manager Andrea Blackburn.

New Zealand's total population is projected to reach 5 million in the mid 2020s and 6 million in 2061, with a quarter of them aged 65 or over. New Zealand's current population is 4.4 million, with around 14 percent aged 65 or over.

"A population of 7 million or more by 2061 is unlikely barring major changes in fertility rates or net migration," says government statistician Geoff Bascand.

Prime Minister John Key has repeatedly ruled out upping the age of eligibility for superannuation.

Currently the median age in New Zealand is 37, up from 26 in 1971. By 2061, it could be as high as 44.

"The gradual ageing reflects the combined impact of people having fewer children, people living longer, and the large number of people born between 1950 and the early 1970s moving into the older ages," says Statistics NZ.

In the last decade, population growth has averaged 1.2 percent. This is up on the 1980s when it was 0.7 percent, but far below the 1950s, when it was 2.2 percent.

There is a one-in-three chance deaths could exceed births by 2061, and a one-in-six chance New Zealand's overall population could be in decline.

If no migration in or out of New Zealand, Statistics NZ says our population would reach a peak of 5.1 million in the 2050s, then start declining.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/1-million-eligible-for-super-in-15-years---Statistics-NZ/tabid/423/articleID/261863/Default.aspx#ixzz211yjrAGP

http://www.3news.co.nz/Portals/0/images/NationalPopulationProjections2011.pdf
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:40:08 pm by Newtown-Fella » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 02:35:55 pm »

Don't worry about it.

New Zealand can afford to pay national super to ALL NZers from age 65.

Your hero, John Key, has said so....so it must be true.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 02:44:25 pm »

Don't worry about it.

New Zealand can afford to pay national super to ALL NZers from age 65.

Your hero, John Key, has said so....so it must be true.

well people turning 65 now are getting national super ......

i was at drinks on sunday celebrating a friend turning 65 and hes getting his Super as well as his weekly salary and another friend turned 65 last year and hes getting NZ super plus UK Pension and still working and drawing a very nice tidy salary ....

im not worried my investments will cover me  Grin

and surely you and your union have guaranteed they you get a hefty payment in ya old age KTJ 
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:08:58 pm »

I've still got 6½ years to go before I can claim both wages AND national super.

However, I've got quite a few workmates who are claiming both.

You should see all the expensive new toys they have been buying too!

One of them even purchased a brand-new Harley-Davidson a few months after he turned 65.

Although I don't think his wife the handbrake “she who must be obeyed” was very impressed.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 03:50:31 pm »

I've still got 6½ years to go before I can claim both wages AND national super.

However, I've got quite a few workmates who are claiming both.

You should see all the expensive new toys they have been buying too!

One of them even purchased a brand-new Harley-Davidson a few months after he turned 65.

Although I don't think his wife the handbrake “she who must be obeyed” was very impressed.

Your age is showing

Grin

My Dad is still working for the fun of it.

The extra money is coming in handy when it comes to keeping his own teeth and having the cataract that is just becoming a problem out next week.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: