Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 10:02:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Introducing Bentley

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing Bentley  (Read 6421 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2013, 04:46:27 pm »

Aww poor little boy.

I think the heat pad is an excellent idea. Warmth helps with pain.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2013, 05:31:51 pm »

I can imagine just what a rough few days you've had in the DT residence. I've been thinking about you all - then each time I look into Bailey's face I think of Mr B again. Bentley and Bailey are so much alike facially. It's only the colour that is different - that and Mr B looks more manly than Bailey. My lot have been getting extra cuddles.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2013, 06:53:42 pm »

When my dear old moggie Oscar was with us, he had a penchant for going across the road to the bush and playing for hours until he came home one night in a terrible mess.    Off to the vet and it appeared that he had been seriously mauled by a possum.
I don't know whether it was the possum,  the injections at the vets or my lecture about getting one final needle if he ever crossed the road again that kept him at home.    He never left the property again.   I hope your Bentley will paws pause and think about things before he leaves the house.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2013, 09:09:05 pm »

Just as well cats have 9 lives. It's times like these that Cat Mums and their whanau need 9 lives as well - our wee darlings give us enough near heart attacks!

I'm not sure how lives dogs have - but you must be feeling the same way Mrs Magoo.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2013, 10:58:54 pm »

Update:  I went out and bought him a huge XXL dog crate (thank God for trademe and weekend traders) as he's confined for long periods but I think he needs to be able to move around a wee bit. 

His bladder started working properly Saturday evening.  To be precise, I got the phone call from Miss DT while we (Mr DT and I) were out having dinner with some friends.  I of course cheered, and when I explained, so did the rest of the table.

Yesterday he definitely took a turn for the worse though.  Went off his food, wouldn't cuddle, just moped.  So back to the vets today but it's just the bodies natural endophines have worn off and he's getting by just on the daily pain meds (which I think might not quite be enough in his mind).  Poor little bugger.  I can vouch that broken vertebrae has to be one of the most painful injuries possible.  Still, Karen his vet was thrilled to say his bladder is working perfectly (completely empty and obviously voiding in the correct manner - rather than leaking into his gut, or dribbling from his urethra).  That was their biggest fear as even though a tail pull injury sounds lame, and looks OK, it is extremely dangerous to a cats bladder and it will be that which will kill them if it's going to. 

So, we have more pain meds that he can stay on for another 7 days.  Stitches out in 8 days. 

And... he definitely moved the stub today.  He has no feeling in it, and the movement can only have been by tendons / muscles moving in the pelvic area, but he lifted it slightly, which made me feel so much better.  Because when he sits it hold him up like a little tripod and all I can think of is how that must be grinding in the area of the break (which is swollen horribly).  My broken vertebrae felt like a handful of windscreen glass (too sharp to just say gravel) being ground into the area when I moved, so I get a bit teary when he looks like he's in pain and miserable. 

Karen gave him a kiss and a telling off for being so close to a car wheel... and strict instructions he's to teach his baby sister GOOD road rules. 

He's very weird in the car now.  He used to be extremely vocal and insist that his carry cage was open while he lay on the seat beside it.  Now he just rides in his carrier, without making a sound.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2013, 09:33:08 am »

Update:  I went out and bought him a huge XXL dog crate (thank God for trademe and weekend traders) as he's confined for long periods but I think he needs to be able to move around a wee bit. 

His bladder started working properly Saturday evening.  To be precise, I got the phone call from Miss DT while we (Mr DT and I) were out having dinner with some friends.  I of course cheered, and when I explained, so did the rest of the table.

Yesterday he definitely took a turn for the worse though.  Went off his food, wouldn't cuddle, just moped.  So back to the vets today but it's just the bodies natural endophines have worn off and he's getting by just on the daily pain meds (which I think might not quite be enough in his mind).  Poor little bugger.  I can vouch that broken vertebrae has to be one of the most painful injuries possible.  Still, Karen his vet was thrilled to say his bladder is working perfectly (completely empty and obviously voiding in the correct manner - rather than leaking into his gut, or dribbling from his urethra).  That was their biggest fear as even though a tail pull injury sounds lame, and looks OK, it is extremely dangerous to a cats bladder and it will be that which will kill them if it's going to. 

So, we have more pain meds that he can stay on for another 7 days.  Stitches out in 8 days. 

And... he definitely moved the stub today.  He has no feeling in it, and the movement can only have been by tendons / muscles moving in the pelvic area, but he lifted it slightly, which made me feel so much better.  Because when he sits it hold him up like a little tripod and all I can think of is how that must be grinding in the area of the break (which is swollen horribly).  My broken vertebrae felt like a handful of windscreen glass (too sharp to just say gravel) being ground into the area when I moved, so I get a bit teary when he looks like he's in pain and miserable. 

Karen gave him a kiss and a telling off for being so close to a car wheel... and strict instructions he's to teach his baby sister GOOD road rules. 

He's very weird in the car now.  He used to be extremely vocal and insist that his carry cage was open while he lay on the seat beside it.  Now he just rides in his carrier, without making a sound.  Sad

Mr B will get his mojo back soon enough. Big hugs from Aunty Ali and the Scottycats - especially his big sisters Bailey and Mitzi
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2013, 08:21:17 am »

How's Bentley doing now? Pain under control?
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2013, 12:00:54 pm »

It was almost like he was waiting to hear from his own doctor before he perked up.  As soon as Karen said he was going to be OK, he started to interact and behave a lot happier.

He's not happy with the fact he has to sleep in the crate at least until his stitches come out, but he'll get over it.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2013, 12:03:18 pm »

It was almost like he was waiting to hear from his own doctor before he perked up.  As soon as Karen said he was going to be OK, he started to interact and behave a lot happier.

He's not happy with the fact he has to sleep in the crate at least until his stitches come out, but he'll get over it.

Poor wee man - it is a HUGE ask to expect a Burmese NOT to sleep in bed with his human.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2013, 12:42:40 pm »

Poor wee man - it is a HUGE ask to expect a Burmese NOT to sleep in bed with his human.

When I get up, I cuddle him in my dressing gown for 10 minutes, then pass him to Mr DT who cuddles him in bed until he gets up, and he passes him to Miss L who cuddles him in bed until SHE gets up... which is about 10 minutes before she needs to have a shower and leave (11am), so he goes back in his crate until Master S gets home at 1pm who cuddles him on the sofa until Miss DT gets home (he pretty much goes from person to person on the sofa until bed times, when he is passed from person to person in bed until the last man standing puts him back in the crate to start again in the morning.  VERY complicated with a lot of shouting of "Who's got Bentley?"
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2013, 12:46:46 pm »

When I get up, I cuddle him in my dressing gown for 10 minutes, then pass him to Mr DT who cuddles him in bed until he gets up, and he passes him to Miss L who cuddles him in bed until SHE gets up... which is about 10 minutes before she needs to have a shower and leave (11am), so he goes back in his crate until Master S gets home at 1pm who cuddles him on the sofa until Miss DT gets home (he pretty much goes from person to person on the sofa until bed times, when he is passed from person to person in bed until the last man standing puts him back in the crate to start again in the morning.  VERY complicated with a lot of shouting of "Who's got Bentley?"

You know he is going to expect this complicated cuddling regime to continue once he's not confined to a crate? He is a Burmese after all
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2013, 01:11:10 pm »

If you are going to have a pet you may as well love them to bits and spoil them rotten.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2013, 05:10:03 pm »

He is not going to be happy when school starts up again - that is if any of your lot are still at school (I can't recall Embarrassed).
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
dragontamer
« Reply #163 on: May 04, 2013, 12:29:25 pm »

I figured Bentley had used up about 5 of his 9 lives, so bought 5 raffle tickets in the local pet shop for a massive cat condo.  Retails at around $465.

I won.  Grin

Now we gotta get it home.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2013, 01:05:32 pm »

OMG  Grin   Congratulations DT.   You and Bentley were due some good luck.     What excitement.  I am really chuffed for you.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2013, 11:11:44 pm »

OMG  Grin   Congratulations DT.   You and Bentley were due some good luck.     What excitement.  I am really chuffed for you.

Wahoo - Alicat has arrived home from late shift completely and utterly knackered ... I'm sitting down but really I am dancing for you and Bentley too! Is the condo like mine? They are BRILLIANT!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2013, 11:13:05 pm »

How is Bentley anyway? His half sister Sadie is still on antibiotics for her tail mishap. She got caught in a garage door by the tail. She has a nasty laceration and is on her third lot of antibiotics but doing fine.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2013, 08:15:48 am »

He's doing great.  He has regained some control of the stump.  You can touch it and he is oblivious, but he can move it from side to side and up and down now, which has improved his ability to sit properly no end.  All his cuts and grazes (and there were a lot) are healing great.  The one on his rear foot is the deepest (actual cuts instead of grazes) and the slowest to heal, but he's finished his abs for now and was fine on half pain killer last night. 

He is obviously feeling the cold in his little shaved butt though lol.  He escapes into the yard, then chases you down for letting him out. lmao
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2013, 09:30:34 am »

He's doing great.  He has regained some control of the stump.  You can touch it and he is oblivious, but he can move it from side to side and up and down now, which has improved his ability to sit properly no end.  All his cuts and grazes (and there were a lot) are healing great.  The one on his rear foot is the deepest (actual cuts instead of grazes) and the slowest to heal, but he's finished his abs for now and was fine on half pain killer last night. 

He is obviously feeling the cold in his little shaved butt though lol.  He escapes into the yard, then chases you down for letting him out. lmao

Glad to hear Mr B is on the mend. I hope the laceration on his foot heals quickly without any further issues. I am sure you have talked tohim about keeping it clean - and of course he listened
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2013, 10:16:21 am »

Just a thought but you might get some colloidal silver from any health food shop.    I swear by the stuff and find it useful for burns, cuts scrapes etc.    They apparently use it in burn wards these days too.   When my late mother had a particularly nasty fall in the shower and split her face and head open very badly I cleaned her up with it and the doctor said it was the key factor in no infection in the area until we got some help for her so I have continued to use it.       You can use it on eyes, internally, externally, drink it...although I don't, and it is safe for animals eyes, cuts etc. 
I don't advocate a lot of health shop products but this one is a good one.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2013, 10:03:45 am »

How's young Bentley doing? I guess he is no longer confined to the crate?
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2013, 10:20:28 am »

Great minds Ali.   I was thinking about His Bentleyness this morning.   No doubt thriving on the very best of care and by now, demanding nothing less.   Bless him.

I would dearly love a Lily, or a Belle or a Bentley but I live in dread of the road that passes our place.   It has already claimed several cats who love to play in the bush on the other side of the road and my precious Bichon/Apso Bertie.
The house hasn't been the same since Oscar, my HUGE black cat passed away.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2013, 10:31:28 am »

Great minds Ali.   I was thinking about His Bentleyness this morning.   No doubt thriving on the very best of care and by now, demanding nothing less.   Bless him.

I would dearly love a Lily, or a Belle or a Bentley but I live in dread of the road that passes our place.   It has already claimed several cats who love to play in the bush on the other side of the road and my precious Bichon/Apso Bertie.
The house hasn't been the same since Oscar, my HUGE black cat passed away.

Had you considered getting a wee Lily or Bella and keeping her as an indoor cat? I'm paranoid about roads with my lot.

Since I moved here, I have not had a cat door put in. My cats are not allowed outside unless I am home. Usually that is outside privileges on my days off and occasionally first thing in the morning when I am working a late shift. That privilege only works if they come when they are called, which so far they have (except for the one Yogi indiscretion).

Margaret is likely to have more kittens ready in 6 months time

Methinks once you have met Bella and Lily, the need and the want may get greater
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2013, 11:27:53 am »

Grin  Tick Tick Tick
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2013, 01:45:48 pm »

Grin  Tick Tick Tick

Once you meet Lily and get bitten by the 'Burmese-Love-Bug" there is no turning back. Once they have you in their cuddle-zone ... you are HISTORY
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: