Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 11:43:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Broadband slowing down after going wireless

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broadband slowing down after going wireless  (Read 2764 times)
Nitpicker1
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 09:10:59 pm »

Two of my units are XP and one is Vista, apparently new drivers software installation was required for that OS mix  Now my speed according to my HelpFAQ is 54.0Mbps  spose that's near enough
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 09:35:41 pm »

What... the puter needed drivers?

Strange... the router should have ran even without a puter plugged into it...

Yep - 54Mbps is about your roof speed with that router - all sorted then!!

:clps

:bdtm
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
HisMajesty
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 01:08:44 pm »

Ok, I've managed to get the speed up to 54Mbps    :dnbn

However, the signal fades after a while and I have to right-click on the Wireless icon on the Taskbar and 'repair' regularly to bring it up to 54Mbps. Did I buy a crap router or does my house/walls/doors/electrical appliances/cellphones somehow interfer with the signal?
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 09:02:04 am »

Yep - the location of the router is important...

How far it is (and how many walls) are in between your furthest point of use and your router?

I can get my WLAN from my letter box - which is around 200 meters away, and that's through 4 walls... HOWEVER - I have trouble connecting down the end of my deck, which is only 15 meters away, and I had trouble connection the entertainment system at first as well, but a new network card fixed that.

The location of the router... You can change this if your entire network is wireless. Your router shouldn't need a computer plugged into it to work, just a ADSL point (phone jack) and a power source.

Your laptop - what kind of card it is? Is the wireless built in or do you have of those card thingies you stick in?

:ms$
Report Spam   Logged

HisMajesty
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 06:14:37 pm »

Yep - the location of the router is important...

How far it is (and how many walls) are in between your furthest point of use and your router?

I can get my WLAN from my letter box - which is around 200 meters away, and that's through 4 walls... HOWEVER - I have trouble connecting down the end of my deck, which is only 15 meters away, and I had trouble connection the entertainment system at first as well, but a new network card fixed that.

The location of the router... You can change this if your entire network is wireless. Your router shouldn't need a computer plugged into it to work, just a ADSL point (phone jack) and a power source.

Your laptop - what kind of card it is? Is the wireless built in or do you have of those card thingies you stick in?

:ms$

Computers between 20-30 meters from router (3-5 doors/walls). A few cell phones on the way too.
All wireless and the router is plugged into a phone jack. Both computers have built-in wireless. One (newer and less cluttered) seems to perform better than the other. It doesn't seem to need 'repairing' (through right-click then repair) as often.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2009, 07:35:29 pm »

54 is pretty good on wireless .. thats what is showing on your lappy .. but what does it say the speed is via the speedmachines??
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
HisMajesty
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2009, 10:43:09 pm »

54 is pretty good on wireless .. thats what is showing on your lappy .. but what does it say the speed is via the speedmachines??

What the...! Two online tests tell me that my download speed is 260 Kbps (upload is half that)! This is nowhere near 54 Mbps!  :cf
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 05:41:20 pm »

OUCH!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
HisMajesty
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2009, 05:54:59 pm »

Yeah!
At work, I get around 20 Mbps.

Time to upgrade to a faster plan!
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2009, 06:56:54 pm »

Your wireless should be 54... anything on the other side of your router is determined by your access plan.

Good luck!
 :blah
Report Spam   Logged

HisMajesty
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 08:47:09 pm »

Thanks for all your help Dazza/L'lee  :dbks
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2009, 02:31:03 pm »

:hf

You be very welcome HM.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: