Xtra News Community 2
April 16, 2024, 04:34:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Hot Air Balloon Tragedy Wairarapa

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot Air Balloon Tragedy Wairarapa  (Read 2036 times)
Alicat
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 05:47:54 am »

GRAPHIC BALLOON PHOTOS SCRUTINISED

Investigators are examining graphic photos of the moments 11 people died in a fiery hot-air balloon crash in Wairarapa.

A photographer captured pictures of the balloon as it hit powerlines, caught fire, shot into the air then plummeted to the ground about 7.30am on Saturday.

These photos have been released to investigators.

Some were "graphic" but they were being used to help establish what happened, Wairarapa Area Commander Inspector Brent Register said.

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has a team of four, which has reviewed photos of the flight and carried out follow-up interviews with witnesses.

It will further examine the crash site when all the bodies have been removed, which is expected to be completed on Monday.

Investigators are also reviewing the balloon's maintenance records, weather reports and talking to people in the industry and British company Cameron, which made the balloon.

The investigation is expected to take months to complete.

The victims, who are still being formally identified, were named on Sunday.

They were:

- Pilot Lance Hopping, 53, of Masterton.
- Howard Cox, 71, and his wife Diana, 63, of Wellington.
- Desmond Dean, 70, and his wife Ann, 65, of Masterton.
- Cousins Valerie Bennett, 70, of Masterton, and Denise Dellabarca, 58, of Paraparaumu.
- Partners Stephen Hopkirk, 50, and Belinda Harter, 49, of Lower Hutt.
- Johannes Jordann, known as Chrisjan, 21, and his girlfriend Alexis Still, 19, of Wellington.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/12531504/graphic-balloon-photos-scrutinised/
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 06:03:49 am »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-08/nz-releases-balloon-names/3762998

and and with stills from child's video
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Alicat
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 01:17:15 pm »

Statement from the family of Stephen Robert Hopkirk, who was killed in the hot air balloon crash in Somerset Road, Carterton on Saturday morning.

'Stephen was an easy-going man, with a kind heart. He was deeply devoted to his late wife Pam, caring for her through a long illness. He and his recent partner Belinda were inseparable; together they enjoyed a whirl of outdoor activities.

They lived together in Korokoro and had bought a bus, planning to put their jobs on hold and go exploring.

Having just returned from a trip mountain biking in National Park after Christmas, the early morning balloon ride was a surprise gift from Belinda for Stephen's 50th birthday on the 7th of January, something he had been wanting to experience. His parents Merle and Bob were waiting to greet the couple on their return with birthday wishes.

Stephen grew up in a loving family with one brother and three sisters in Ardmore, Masterton and Lower Hutt. He attended Naenae College and completed a degree in Botany at Victoria University.

He worked for IBM in Petone for many years. Described as an intelligent and practical man, Stephen could turn his hand at anything from computers to home renovation.

He was the one his family and friends called on to help them and he never said 'no'. His beloved Aunty recalls giving him a list of jobs on his frequent visits, which he would graciously work his way through. A real 'kiwi' guy, quiet and unassuming but strong and determined.

The 7th of January has always been a special day for the Hopkirk family. The day is Stephen's parent's wedding anniversary; they have been happily married for 56 years. Stephen also shared his birthday with a nephew. Now, it will also be known for the day he died.

An amazing son, brother, and friend who will be greatly missed.

Stephen's sister Ruth McIntosh, on behalf of the family.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/12535052/statement-from-family-of-stephen-robert-hopkirk/
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 01:18:57 pm »

Four Bodies Still At the Crash Site

Police hope on Monday to remove the last four bodies from the site where a hot air balloon crashed in flames in the Wairarapa on Saturday, killing 11 people.

Authorities say it will take months to determine exactly what happened in the crash.

Witnesses have described hearing screams after the balloon hit power lines, caught fire and soared into the air before crashing into a paddock.

Two people either jumped or fell from the basket after it hit the powerlines.

The 10 passengers and pilot, all from the greater Wellington region, had been on an early morning scenic flight around Carterton before things started to go wrong, turning into New Zealand's worst air disaster since the 1979 Mt Erebus crash.

Wairarapa area commander, Inspector Brent Register, told Radio New Zealand, the crash site was very wet after 16 hours' rain, which had hampered investigations.

The bodies of four victims were still at the site on Monday, and efforts would be made to remove them during the day. They will be taken to the Wellington mortuary.

It would be a "huge" investigation, involving a number of agencies. Police had finished speaking to most of the eyewitnesses and would be talking to firefighters and ambulance officers who arrived at the scene.

Transport Accident Investigation Commission investigations into air crashes generally take between six months and a year.

Insp Register said it was unlikely charges would be laid against anyone, but that was up to the Civil Aviation Authority to decide.

Evidence includes photographs taken by Wairarapa photographer Geoff Walker, who takes photographs of the balloon flight as part of the package.

He captured pictures of the balloon as it burst into flames and has handed them over to investigators.

Church services have been held in Carterton and preparations will be starting for funerals of the victims.

It is likely there will be some sort of memorial at the Balloons Over Wairarapa festival in March.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/12531981/four-bodies-still-at-balloon-crash-site/
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 09:35:01 pm »

I have been requested to (and have done so) remove all the political comments from this thread.  I wouldn't normally do this as you can each delete your own, however after reading the comments in the middle of an on-going tragedy I feel it was the right thing to do. 

This is a terrible tragedy and I would thank everybody to respect those who may read this and have lost loved ones, friends and/or acquaintances in this event.

If you feel the need to abuse me for cleaning out the trash, please do so in the biffo room or by pm. 

Thank you.  I'm now going to continue my holiday. 

Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 05:43:17 am »

...Civil Aviation Authority will investigate the company involved in Saturday's hot-air ballooning disaster under the Health and Safety Act to consider whether it had properly carried out its responsibilities to its employees and passengers.

The authority would not say if the company, Early Morning Balloons, had achieved certification under new adventure aviation rules that all commercial ballooning companies are required to meet by May 1. ...

read the rest @  http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10777711
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Alicat
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 12:12:58 pm »

I have been requested to (and have done so) remove all the political comments from this thread.  I wouldn't normally do this as you can each delete your own, however after reading the comments in the middle of an on-going tragedy I feel it was the right thing to do. 

This is a terrible tragedy and I would thank everybody to respect those who may read this and have lost loved ones, friends and/or acquaintances in this event.

If you feel the need to abuse me for cleaning out the trash, please do so in the biffo room or by pm. 

I fully support this action and had planned on sorting it this afternoon when I arrived home from work. Thanks DT
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 04:51:59 pm »

Ditto... for what it's worth

I fully support this action and had planned on sorting it this afternoon when I arrived home from work. Thanks DT
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
Alicat
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 05:11:29 pm »

Thanks AnFaol
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 07:12:41 pm »

many thanks DT
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 09:05:30 pm »

What I don't understand is why do they need to have such a huge investigation?

It's just a bad accident

Balloon crashed into power lines the basket caught fire why would they need to drag this out for such a long time.
It seems to me they are going to waste a lot of time and money....Why?
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Alicat
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 08:55:56 pm »

A new news release is available for you to view on the Police website:

Title: Victim Support and Police continue to support families and wider Carterton community

Victim Support and Police are working together to provide support to families affected by Saturday's tragic hot air balloon crash as well as members of the Carterton community.

Victim Support service coordinator for the Wairarapa Gwen Zittersteijn says Wairarapa has a team of 13 Victim Support workers who are working with families of the 11 deceased in Saturday's tragic hot air balloon crash.

"Whilst our focus is on comforting families at this difficult time, our Victim Support workers are also supporting witnesses to the crash and members of the wider Carterton Community, who require some extra support."

Victim Support has Support Workers available nationally to assist with those directly affected, and indeed this is actually happening, particularly with the relatives and many witnesses based in Wellington.

Gwen Zittersteijn encourages the Carterton community to phone Victim Support on their freephone number 0800 VICTIM (0800 842 846) to be put in touch with a support worker. Victim Support has support workers available nationally to assist with those directly affected.

Police National Victim Services Manager and officer in charge of the Police Family Liaison Team in Carterton Inspector Wendy Robilliard says the role of Victim Support is key to ensuring the welfare needs of families and the wider community are met at such a tragic time.

"We will continue to work alongside our Victim Support colleagues and other key partner agencies to support all of those affected by Saturday's tragic events. I encourage the Carterton community to utilise the excellent services of Victim Support and phone 0800 VICTIM to be put in touch with a support worker."

ENDS

For media queries, please contact Victoria Davis, Wellington Police District Communications Manager on 0274 373 020.

Please view the full news release online at:

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/30541.html

Thanks,

New Zealand Police
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 08:56:38 pm »

Title: Media statement from the family of Lance Hopping

The following statement can be attributed to Nina Kelynack, Henare Hopping, Hayley Hopping and Dani Siemonek:

'Lance Robert Hopping (Hoppy) loved Carterton. He was born here, attending Southend School and Kuranui College, before working at the Waingawa Freezing Works in Masterton after he finished school.

After several years at the freezing works, Hoppy then went to work at Paua World, learning to carve paua and craft jewellery. Hoppy was instrumental in growing and marketing the business over the years he spent working there.

Hoppy got his helicopter pilot's licence about 30 years ago as a hobby, even once delivering his children Henare and Hayley to school via his helicopter!

He had been ballooning for around 20 years, gaining his pilot's accreditation for hot air ballooning in 1995. His company Ballooning New Zealand had been in operation for about 17 years.

For the past few years, Hoppy also worked part time as a truancy officer throughout the Wairarapa at local primary and high schools and got a lot of satisfaction from pushing kids in the right direction.

It's really hard to describe Hoppy in a few words because he had such a big personality but he was always really happy, vibrant, caring, big hearted, with a good sense of humour and a cheeky grin.

Friends also referred to Hoppy as the 'Little General' in reference to his height and his bossiness!

He was a loving father to Henare (aged 35), Hayley (aged 31) and Dani (aged 22) and loving partner to Nina.

Hoppy was a very proud Grandad to Henare's two girls Taylor (aged Cool and Kora, born two weeks ago in Sydney and to Hayley's two children Talea (aged 11) and Ezekial (aged 6) and Dani's two girls Ellie (aged 4) and Paige (aged 2).

Hoppy was really looking forward to meeting his newest granddaughter Kora in April, having only seen photos of her.

Family was a huge part of his life, as was ballooning and the community of Carterton. Everyone in Carterton knew Hoppy and he will be greatly missed. He is gone too soon.'

The following can be attributed to Lance Hopping's sisters Lynette Helm, Karen (Kaz) Taylor and Sandra Andrickson:

'Our father Martin was terminally ill with cancer and he came from Australia to New Zealand to find his birth son.

That son was Lance and from that day 17 years ago, they made up for the years apart and spent as much time together as they could.

Unfortunately Dad only had a short time with Lance, but the three of us were lucky enough to be able to continue a loving relationship with our brother.

Lance was a great brother, he had a great loving relationship with his family and friends and there wasn't anything he wouldn't do for anyone.

He loved his Harley, he loved his helicopters and balloons and he loved to drive his car fast, but his greatest love was his family.'

The Hopping family would like to thank the Copthorne Hotel, Cross Country Car Rentals and Captain Lyn from the Salvation Army for all their support and help.

We would also like to thank all of the Police for their overwhelming help from day one.

The services involved in the accident we also thank for tending to our loved ones with care and respect.

The ground crew who worked and loved Lance - we thank you for the comforting words, under huge grief yourselves.

The Victim Support group and locals who donated food and help were wonderful and we would love to thank each and every one of them.

Please note, the Hopping family do not wish to conduct any further media interviews. Hoppy's funeral will be for family and friends only and media are not permitted to attend.

ENDS

For media queries, please contact Victoria Davis, Wellington Police District Communications Manager on 0274 373 020.

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/30542.html

Thanks,

New Zealand Police
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 08:58:06 pm »

Title: Further victim of balloon tragedy formally identified

A further victim of the Carterton hot air balloon tragedy on Saturday has been formally identified to the satisfaction of Coroner Peter Ryan, at a formal hearing in Wellington today.

The victim was 50 year old Stephen Hopkirk, of Lower Hutt.

The family of Stephen have already issued a statement to media which is available on the Police website: https://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/30504.html

Stephen's family do not wish to have any further contact with media. A funeral service for
Stephen will be for family and friends and media are not permitted to attend.

Wairarapa Area Commander Inspector Brent Register says a blessing by local iwi and
church leaders has been carried out this afternoon at the scene of Saturday's crash in
Somerset Road.

"Families of the deceased were invited to attend the service before the scene was
formally released by Police a short time ago. We continue to support the families of the
deceased and those affected by the tragedy at this very tough time."

A Coronial Inquiry into the tragedy has been opened. Coroner Peter Ryan has adjourned the Inquiry until the Police and TAIC investigations have been completed but has issued a note prohibiting the publication of any images likely to be of relevance to the Inquiry.

ENDS

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/30543.html

Thanks,

New Zealand Police
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 08:59:50 pm »

Title: Victim Support and Police continue to support families and wider Carterton community

Victim Support and Police are working together to provide support to families affected by Saturday's tragic hot air balloon crash as well as members of the Carterton community.

Victim Support service coordinator for the Wairarapa Gwen Zittersteijn says Wairarapa has a team of 13 Victim Support workers who are working with families of the 11 deceased in Saturday's tragic hot air balloon crash.

"Whilst our focus is on comforting families at this difficult time, our Victim Support workers are also supporting witnesses to the crash and members of the wider Carterton Community, who require some extra support."

Victim Support has Support Workers available nationally to assist with those directly affected, and indeed this is actually happening, particularly with the relatives and many witnesses based in Wellington.

Gwen Zittersteijn encourages the Carterton community to phone Victim Support on their freephone number 0800 VICTIM (0800 842 846) to be put in touch with a support worker. Victim Support has support workers available nationally to assist with those directly affected.

Police National Victim Services Manager and officer in charge of the Police Family Liaison Team in Carterton Inspector Wendy Robilliard says the role of Victim Support is key to ensuring the welfare needs of families and the wider community are met at such a tragic time.

"We will continue to work alongside our Victim Support colleagues and other key partner agencies to support all of those affected by Saturday's tragic events. I encourage the Carterton community to utilise the excellent services of Victim Support and phone 0800 VICTIM to be put in touch with a support worker."

ENDS

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/30541.html

Thanks,

New Zealand Police
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 09:06:29 pm »

Title: Two further victims of Carterton balloon crash formally identified

Two further victims of Saturday's fatal hot air balloon crash have been formally identified to the satisfaction of Coroner Peter Ryan.

They were Valerie Bennett, aged 70, of Masterton and Belinda Harter, aged 49 years, of Lower Hutt.

The family of Belinda do not wish to have any further contact with media and have asked that her funeral remains private for family and friends only.

The family of Valerie are considering a media statement, however they too would like Valerie's service to be private, for family and friends only.

ENDS

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/30557.html

Thanks,

New Zealand Police
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 09:32:51 pm »

What I don't understand is why do they need to have such a huge investigation?

It's just a bad accident

Balloon crashed into power lines the basket caught fire why would they need to drag this out for such a long time.
It seems to me they are going to waste a lot of time and money....Why?

A long time ago a photographer and pilot were killed in the Hutt Valley when their helicopter, which was being used for private photography, but 'borrowed' in a manhunt during the trip, collided with overhead lines in the Valley. 

After the investigation the power lines crossing the valley at various points were equipped with another (higher) wire which had large, white balls spaced along it's length. 

I imagine the investigation is going to cover the placement of the overhead wires, together with the site of the landing/ taking off and their relationship to each other.  The pilot and the equipment.  The weight etc of those on board, events during the ride which may have contributed and a whole slew of other things that this non-ballooner doesn't even have any idea about.

While it has never happened there before, it may well have been something that should have been addressed years ago.

By-the-by - the coffee shop that the media interviews etc were filmed in, is owned by my cousin.

Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 09:43:29 pm »

Further to that ... Peter Button (Rescue Helicopter Pilot extraordinaire) and Ronald Wolfe (well known Photographer) will killed when their chopper crashed into wires whilst coincidently assistnig with the search of an escaped prisoner in the Northern Wellington (Churton Park/Glenside/Tawa) Area in 1989. It was after Peter died that the Life Flight Trust was set up in the Greater Wellnigton Area.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 06:18:00 am »

FAMILY HONOURS BALLOON CRASH COUPLE

A Wairarapa couple killed in the hot air balloon crash will be farewelled on Friday.

Ann and Des Dean were among 11 people who died when the balloon they were in appeared to hit power lines, caught fire and crashed in Carterton on January 7.

The couple, aged 65 and 70, were among the last victims to be formally identified by Coroner Peter Ryan, on Monday.

Friends and family will gather on Friday to pay their respects.

In a statement, the couple's daughters, Bronwyn Brewster, Deborah Gray and Fiona Rouse, said their parents never missed a birthday or a grandchild's sports match.

Born and bred in Masterton, the couple built a home in the town after marrying in 1966, and Mr Dean opened a building business.

The couple were keen squash players, as were their three daughters, and they spent most weekends following the girls around courts and tournaments.

"Mum and Dad loved each other dearly and they loved their family," and were proud grandparents to six children, the statement said.

"You were both taken from us far too soon. You had just started to live and enjoy your retirement.

"You will be treasured forever. We love and miss you."

Funerals have already been held for other balloon crash victims, including pilot Lance Hopping, with more scheduled for next week.

Investigations into the crash by the police and Transport Accident Investigation Commission are continuing.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/12662199/family-honours-balloon-crash-couple/
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 10:22:10 am »

Shocked
The balloon which crashed in Carterton killing 11 people may not have been airworthy, investigators have found.

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) has released preliminary findings showing several maintenance requirements were not followed by those operating the balloon, including procedures for inspecting the balloon's burners and fuel system, and a "grab test" to test the strength of the balloon material.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6467998/Carterton-tragedy-Balloon-airworthyness-questioned
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 01:50:21 pm »

now lets await the cannabis experts opinion on this ......

The pilot of January's balloon tragedy in Carterton was flying with cannabis in his system when he crashed, killing all 11 people on board.

Toxicology tests performed on the body of Lance Hopping, 53, four days after the crash returned positive for cannabis, with the discovery described as "concerning" by investigators.

The findings were part of an interim report issued by the Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) this morning, four months after the balloon struck powerlines, caught fire and crashed into a field on January 7.

Key findings of the interim report:

Pilot Lance Hopping had cannabis in his system at the time of the crash
    A witness reported noticing an "isolated gust of wind" before the crash
    The balloon had travelled to as low as 5 metres before ascending again prior to the crash
    The balloon travelled parallel to powerlines for as long as seven minutes before striking the lines
    After two passengers jumped from the basket, it rose to 150 metres before crashing
    The maintenance engineer who checked the balloon used a flight manual nine years out of date

Investigator in charge Ian McClelland was unable to say what amount of the drug had been detected.

The initial results needed to be analysed independently and considered along with the time before the autopsy and Mr Hopping's background.

"There are simply too many variables to give a figure...and further research needs to be undertaken to get a figure and put it in context."

Tests for alcohol had been inconclusive and further analysis was needed, Mr McClelland said.

CAA chief executive Graeme Harris said he was "disappointed”  by evidence of cannabis in the crash an education and safety promotional campaign was planned addressing the issue.

Since the balloon accident new rules covering the commercial ballooning sector had been introduced demanding higher standards from operators who wished to carry fare-paying passengers.

Today's interim report also includes a detailed description of the events leading up to the balloon striking powerlines, and the horrific moments shortly after as the basket caught fire.

It describes how Hopping knew the balloon was heading for powerlines, yelling "duck down" to passengers before impact.

Passengers then tried to push away from the powerlines after the balloon snagged under a wire, with the balloon ascending at the time of impact.

"As the balloon was trying to rise, it also began to slide along the powerlines towards Somerset Road," the report notes.

"About 15 to 30 seconds after contacting the the wires, an electrical arcing occurred.

"A fire erupted shortly afterwards low down on the basket.

"Two of the passengers jumped from the burning basket and shortly after that the power line lying across the top of the basket broke and the balloon then ascended rapidly."

The balloon reached about 150m in the air before the envelope collapsed and the balloon crashed into a field.

Just yesterday, TAIC called for an alcohol and drug testing regime to be implemented for people performing activities critical to flight safety, after announcing that two tandem skydive masters had smoked cannabis before a Skydive New Zealand plane crashed soon after takeoff from Fox Glacier in September 2010.

While this morning's report contains several details about what happened on the day, it includes no analysis of those facts, nor any recommendations or key lessons to be learned from the crash.

Instead, those findings would be reserved for TAIC's final report due in March next year.

The families of the victims were briefed on the report last month, and it is understood several people have had drafts of the report for weeks, including the balloon company owners, members of Hopping's ground crew, and his fiancee, Nina Kelynack.

Further lines of enquiry include whether any malfunction contributed to the crash, balloon and pilot performance, the regulatory framework for balloonists, and a review of other wire strikes around the world.

In February, prelimiary findings released by TAIC showed the balloon should not have been in the air on January 7.

The burners and LPG fuel system had not been correctly inspected, the balloon material had not been properly strength-tested, and a safety logbook was left incomplete.

These oversights meant the balloon may have been in breach of Civil Aviation Authority standards, and therefore not "airworthy".

The commission then recommended that the CAA make urgent checks on the maintenance of all 74 balloons in the country - a move labelled labelled as unnecessary and "knee-jerk'' by balloon operators.

Later, the CAA confirmed just one maintenance provider was being examined - known to be Hawke's Bay Aviation - and only 16 balloons were potentially not airworthy.

In March, hundreds of people gathered at a civic service in Carterton, including many family members of the victims.

A week later, tearful relatives released white balloons in the shape of doves in an emotional dawn memorial service for the victims, which doubled as the start of the Balloons Over Wairarapa festival.

Those killed in the crash were pilot Lance Hopping, 53, of Masterton; Alexis Still, 19, and Johannes Jordann, 21, of Wellington; Lower Hutt couple Belinda Harter, 49, and Stephen Hopkirk, 50; Denise Dellabarca, 58, of Kapiti, and her cousin Valerie Bennett, 70, of Masterton; Masterton couple Ann Dean, 65, and Desmond Dean, 70; and Wellington couple Diana Cox, 63, and Howard Cox, 71.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/6894674/Balloon-pilot-tested-positive-for-cannabis

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/6228609/Photos-from-fatal-day-released
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/6229133/Balloon-disaster-The-victims
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/6228661/Farmer-tells-of-screams-of-horror-from-balloon
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/6233897/Balloon-trip-a-50th-birthday-present
http://www.stuff.co.nz/lightbox/dominion-post/news/photos/6225073/Carterton-balloon-crash?KeepThis=true
Report Spam   Logged
robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 03:01:16 pm »

So now we have stoners involved in the aviation deaths of twenty people... Not a good look really is it?
NZ the new Jamaica?
Report Spam   Logged

I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 05:58:11 pm »

So now we have stoners involved in the aviation deaths of twenty people... Not a good look really is it?
NZ the new Jamaica?

Were the jumpmasters flying the aeroplane that crashed at Fox Glacier?

That's strange.....I could have sworn there was a pilot flying that aeroplane! 
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 07:14:11 pm »

They were still involved and mistakes were made. Are you defending the stoners' right to be impaired while supervising adventure tourism?
Report Spam   Logged

I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 08:32:04 pm »

There are two issues here involving fatalities, plus a third issue which COULD have possibly eventuated if an aeroplane hadn't crashed on takeoff, but had instead managed to gain a high altitude.

1. A hot air balloon flight which went horribly wrong.

2. An aeroplane ride where the aeroplane crashed because an engineering company modified the aeroplane against the wishes and strong advice of the company which held the type certification for that particular type of aeroplane, with the company which owned the aeroplane and the pilot in command on the fatal flight taking shortcuts in not working out centre-of-gravity calculations before operating the aeroplane, as well as overloading it. In other words, an airworthiness issue involving a fixed-wing aeroplane

3. IF the aeroplane had managed to climb to altitude, THEN (and ONLY then) there could have possibly been a third issue, but this third issue didn't eventuate because the aeroplane crashed before those who could have been involved in the third issue could have actually had a bearing on things.

Go to the TAIC website and download the full report into the Fox Glacier crash and read it from end to end, then perhaps you'll understand things a wee bit better.

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: