Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 01:42:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

'Maori child abuse' label hurting parents - academic

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Maori child abuse' label hurting parents - academic  (Read 192 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:59:49 am »

hey Prof Moon what are the stats for "white child abuse " did you compare that when you were doing your resaearch ?

An Auckland academic says the increasing use of the term "Maori child abuse" is fuelling racism.

Auckland University of Technology Maori history professor Paul Moon said in the last 18 months the racially-charged term has crept into public and Government use.

"The Government has even commissioned reports on Maori child abuse so it's had the effect of entrenching that label."

Moon said there is no such thing as Maori child abuse or Pakeha child abuse.

"By putting the word 'Maori' in front of it, a stereotype is created which is inaccurate and dangerous," he said.

"The vast majority of Maori parents, like the vast majority of all other parents, do a fantastic job of raising their children."

Moon called on the Government and media to stop referring to "Maori child abuse" when discussing New Zealand's problem with abuse.

He accepted Maori child abuse rates were higher than Pakeha.

However, he said many Maori parents felt unfairly labelled as child abusers, despite being good parents.

"Child abuse is a crime, but it is applied to a whole ethnic group."

"You don't see any newspaper article about 'Pakeha' corporate crime. And if you did there would be an uproar because you're racially profiling a whole ethnic group based on a tiny percentage."

He said New Zealand has a history of stereotyping ethnicities, including the Japanese 1940s and Polynesians in the 1970s.

Moon said he sees a similar pattern recurring in the debate about Maori child abuse.

"By highlighting the ethnicity in this way, a stigma is placed on all Maori parents, and there is growing anecdotal evidence of this. To some extent, all Maori parents are tarred with this brush."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6192459/Maori-child-abuse-label-hurting-parents-academic
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:46:58 am »

snnnnooorrrrrt

"The vast majority of Maori parents, like the vast majority of all other parents, do a fantastic job of raising their children."

Moon called on the Government and media to stop referring to "Maori child abuse" when discussing New Zealand's problem with abuse.

If the cap fits, wear it    ---

the one-size-fits-all label was never on it.
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Crusader
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 12:38:57 pm »

I guess when abuse is committed by a white parent we don't hear a 'white child abuse' case. Therefore he probably has a point.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 02:57:02 pm »

I guess when abuse is committed by a white parent we don't hear a 'white child abuse' case. Therefore he probably has a point.

Ban the recording of statistics.  That'd cure the problem. 
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Magoo
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 03:36:27 pm »

The solution lies within themselves.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 04:13:27 pm »

Spend some time at your local courthouse, listen to and watch what goes on.

It saddens me to hear a child being told to "Shut up you f***in little C**t". It saddens me to see toddlers placated with a 1.5 litre bottle of Budget Raspberry drink. It saddens me that a toddler is given a Pie to eat. It saddens me that the children are even there.

It saddens me that they are universally the descendants of what was once a proud warrior race.

Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
Crusader
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 04:14:57 pm »

It saddens me to hear a child being told to "Shut up you f***in little C**t". It saddens me to see toddlers placated with a 1.5 litre bottle of Budget Raspberry drink. It saddens me that a toddler is given a Pie to eat. It saddens me that the children are even there.

It saddens me that they are universally the descendants of what was once a proud warrior race.

So write off an entire race based on the actions of a few. Wow that is bright.
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 04:57:56 pm »

Yes my wife could tell a few stories about what she sees etc as a school teacher!
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 05:15:22 pm »

That bottle of raspberry drink is cheaper than a bottle of bottled water. Pies are cheaper than filled rolls. Both are easier to buy than healthier food which is still no excuse for not bringing a packed lunch and drink bottle of water from home.

He probably has a point about the Maori child abuse lable but it still doesn't change the fact that the worst cases are most often from one culture in particular. Maori.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 05:45:01 pm »

So write off an entire race based on the actions of a few. Wow that is bright.

Not at all.

We must also recognise those hundreds of thousands of Maori who are extremely successful. They give lie to those who would blame what is happening on past 'events'.

The mentality created to suit the agenda of those who drive the grievance industry has done immense damage. That is the worst of the worst racism in this country.

Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: