Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 04:54:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Nats can govern by one vote

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nats can govern by one vote  (Read 402 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: December 10, 2011, 02:45:07 pm »

National has lost a seat but still has the numbers to govern with the final results of the general election confirmed.

Chief electoral officer Robert Peden this afternoon announced four changes to the results on election night.

National loses a seat and falls to 59, the Green Party gains a seat and will have 14 MPs. In the two tight electoral races, Labour's Brendon Burns has lost Christchurch Central to National's Nicky Wagner by 45 votes and Labour's Carmel Sepuloni takes Waitakere off Cabinet Minister Paula Bennett by just 11 votes.

"It's official, it's official, it's official…we won" Wagner shouted with delight to a small gathering of supporters at her home this afternoon as she read a text confirming she had won the seat for Christchurch Central.

Bennett's loss in Waitakere is a blow for the high profile candidate who is tipped to climb the Cabinet rankings. She still makes it in to Parliament as a National Party list MP, but said she will be asking for a recount.

Speaking from her office, Bennett said she owed it to her Waitakere voters to check the results.

"Yes I expect we will ask for a recount...It is so close we owe it to ourselves and those who did vote for us."

Bennett said she will push for the recount as soon as possible and hoped to have a result before Christmas.

She said it had been an anxious wait for results and the result was tighter than she had imagined.

"Eleven votes is a bit closer than I thought it would be but it is what it is and I am just dealing my way with that today."

Sepuloni's win means Auckland-based list MP Raymond Huo will drop out of Parliament.

Huo said he was now departing Parliament with a strong feeling of "unfinished business".

While disappointed at missing out, he said he was keen to make a rapid return to Parliament should one of his higher-ranked Labour Party list members quit politics during the current term.

"I am willing, ready and able,” he said.

The dip in support for National means Aaron Gilmore drops out of Parliament.

In Christchurch, Burns' one term as the local MP is over as he falls victim to a swing to National in the earthquake hit region.

Burns said he was bitterly disappointed to have lost the seat but challenged claims it was a safe Labour seat, saying boundary changes meant it had been a marginal seat since the late 1990s.

While Burns plans on seeking a judicial recount, he holds little hope that it will put him back into Parliament.

The former journalist and newspaper editor said this afternoon,  that he had not made any decisions about his future.

The last year, dealing with the aftermath of the Canterbury quakes, had been exhausting and Burns said his tank was "running on empty''.

General Secretary Chris Flatt confirmed the party would seek a judical recount,after the final count in Christchurch Central had seen incumbent Burns miss out by "a mere" 45 votes.

“With such a small margin, the Labour Party will take the necessary steps to begin the process of a formal recount of the Christchurch central electorate vote," Flatt said.

“But for now, today belongs to Carmel Sepuloni and her Labour team in Waitakere who fought a hard battle on the ground which has brought about a great victory for Labour."

The Green Party result got better from election night, with a party vote of 11.06 per cent providing a ticket in to the House for the first ever profoundly deaf MP, Mojo Mathers.

Green Party co-leader Russel Norman said Mojo Mathers' rise to Parliament was "great".

"It means that another talented Green Party MP will enter Parliament," he said.

Mathers' elevation means the Greens will now have a record 14 MPs in the current political term.

Mathers said she hoped her entry in Parliament would be an inspiration for other people with physical or mental disabilities.

"There are many barriers to democratic participation for disabled people,” she said.

"I hope my presence in Parliament will result in improved accessibility and access to political information for everyone, including those with a hearing impairment."

National, having signed confidence and supply agreements with Act and United Future, has a single vote majority of 61 seats in a 121 seat Parliament. It may yet to grow its support by three in a deal with the Maori Party that is yet to be signed.

MMP is also confirmed as the voting system in the final results of the referendum also held on November 26. Some 57.77 per cent backed MMP and in part two 46.66 per cent supported FPP as the most preferred alternative.

The majority support for MMP means the system stays but a review of the system is triggered.

Peden said all votes on election night had been recounted and special votes checked for validity. Candidates seeking a recount had until Wednesday to make an application.

FINAL RESULTS:

National: 47.31 per cent - 59 seats
Labour: 27.48 per cent - 34 seats
Green: 11.06 per cent - 14 seats
NZ First: 6.59 per cent - 8 seats
Maori Party: 1.43 per cent - 3 seats
Mana Party: 1.08 per cent - 1 seat
Act Party: 1.07 per cent - 1 seat
United Future: 0.6 per cent - 1 seat

COMPARED WITH 2008:

* National's proportion of the vote at 47.31 per cent grew from
44.93 per cent in 2008. National gains one seat.

* Labour's vote, at 27.48 per cent, dropped from 33.99 per cent in 2008. Its share of seats in the House falls from 43 to 34.

* The Greens scored only 6.72 per cent in 2008 so at 11.06 per cent its seat allocation grows from nine to 14.

* New Zealand First got 4.07 per cent in 2008 and no MPs. This time around, it secured 6.59 per cent of the party vote and gets eight MPs.

* Act's vote dropped from 3.65 per cent in 2008 down to 1.07 per cent, meaning it goes from five MPs to one - John Banks who was elected in Epsom.

* The Maori Party won five electorate seats in 2008 but lost its Te Tai Tonga seat on election night and earlier shed the defecting Hone Harawira in Te Tai Tokerau. Its share of the party vote has also dropped from 2.39 per cent in 2008, down to 1.43 per cent in 2011.
But it holds on to three Maori electorate seats.

* The party vote for United Future dropped from 0.87 per cent down to
0.6 per cent, but leader Peter Dunne held his Ohariu seat so the party stays on with a solitary seat.

* The Mana Party did not exist in 2008, but scores a seat in 2011 via Hone Harawira in Te Tai Tokerau. With 1.08 per cent of the party vote, Harawira is the sole MP for Mana.

* Jim Anderton's Progressive Party disappears altogether after Anderton retired from Parliament.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/6120534/Nats-can-govern-by-one-vote

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 02:53:11 pm »

I guess that puts the power into the hands of Peter Dunne and John Banks.  God help us.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
reality
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 03:14:27 pm »

Thats all great news for NZ...we are still open for business Tongue

...aint MMP great...maybe I can be converted to be in favour of it Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 03:26:15 pm »

I guess that puts the power into the hands of Peter Dunne and John Banks.  God help us.

Guess where the charter schools came from. Sad
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 03:31:04 pm »

dont  knock them till they are up and running ....

maybe just maybe they will better than sliced bread ...

the system thats in place is failing kids now something new might just be better
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 03:56:18 pm »

Sweety..."Guess where the charter schools came from. "

...I think an  excellent idea from Act..supported by National....thanks MMP Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 04:21:26 pm »

Well he can hardly say he has a mandate for asset sales now can he? But I guess John Key will do what John Key wants to do anyway. Angry
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 04:44:50 pm »

Well he can hardly say he has a mandate for asset sales now can he? But I guess John Key will do what John Key wants to do anyway. Angry

I wouldn't worry if I were you, you're (supposedly) heading to (supposedly) greener pastures
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 05:45:23 pm »

So the greens got another seat. Whoopydedoo. They will still stay as irrelevant as they ever have been.

Unless russell can engineer another flag seizing or somesuch to get some attention!

10% is still only the vote of the lunatic fringe.

Winniethepoo is in the same category - a waste of space and taxpayers money - a voice in the wilderness.

Sometime, somehow the electorate has got to come to terms with the waste of time, money and resources that is MMP.
Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 07:28:48 pm »

the system thats in place is failing kids now something new might just be better

When they turn out to be a huge failure, you can guarantee that the Nats will bury the reports showing them to be failures.

Just like they buried the reports and statistics showing Boot Camps to be total failures.

It's the way the Nats operate when they fail....hide the evidence and pretend it doesn't exist instead of being honest.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
reality
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 08:26:22 pm »

BRuss...."When they turn out to be a huge failure, you can guarantee that the Nats will bury the reports showing them to be failures.

Just like they buried the reports and statistics showing Boot Camps to be total failures.

It's the way the Nats operate when they fail....hide the evidence and pretend it doesn't exist instead of being honest"

yeah.....really...and was it you who said this Roll Eyes

BRuss......."So.....if the final results come in and the Nats have lost an MP, and the Greens have gained an MP (highly likely), then the Nats MPs plus Banks Wanks plus Peter Dunne will no longer have the numbers to govern"

...just wondering how many times you need to be wrong to realise that predicting the future is not your forte Wink...stick with the rail work buddy Wink

Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 08:59:57 pm »

When they turn out to be a huge failure, you can guarantee that the Nats will bury the reports showing them to be failures.

It's the way the Nats operate when they fail....hide the evidence and pretend it doesn't exist instead of being honest.

if i train to be a train driver a fail does the employer publish my reports ?

what purpose does publishing the outcome of Boot Camps when arsewipes like you are against them anyway KTJ ......
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 04:18:12 am »

I wouldn't worry if I were you, you're (supposedly) heading to (supposedly) greener pastures

I shall still have children and grandchildren here though Anfaol.
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 07:01:35 am »

So you'll cut and run and just leave them here to weather the storm? Good o!

I truely hope you find the greener pastures that you seem to think are out there outside NZ, I doubt you will especially going by what a majority of my overseas clients have said we are better off tham many of their countries. I get the slight feeling that you'll not be happy where ever you go, life just won't be perfect enough for you!
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 07:31:23 am »

So you'll cut and run and just leave them here to weather the storm? Good o!

I truely hope you find the greener pastures that you seem to think are out there outside NZ, I doubt you will especially going by what a majority of my overseas clients have said we are better off tham many of their countries. I get the slight feeling that you'll not be happy where ever you go, life just won't be perfect enough for you!

Anfaol, My kids are grown up with families of their own, I have a life also. Yes it will be hard to leave them in NZ, but they can follow me if they want to as they are British citizens. I am not looking for perfection, I just want to spend time with my sisters and their families, my cousins, nieces and nephews before I kick the bucket. And when I do die I want to be buried in Wales.
I usually get homesick at Christmas time anyway but this time it is more than that, I really cannot see any future in NZ under John Key. He really hasn't a clue. I'm not saying Labour are any better either , but John Key is definately not good for this country, so yes I intend to leave.
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 08:21:14 am »

I just want to spend time with my sisters and their families, my cousins, nieces and nephews before I kick the bucket. And when I do die I want to be buried in Wales.I usually get homesick at Christmas time anyway

If that is truely where your heart lies... why bitch and moan about what happens or is happening in NZ?

but this time it is more than that, I really cannot see any future in NZ under John Key. He really hasn't a clue. I'm not saying Labour are any better either , but John Key is definately not good for this country, so yes I intend to leave.

So in you opinion who is the best for NZ?
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 09:18:05 am »

I guess we really will be able to blame literally every bad thing on the Nats from now on, because they've had an entire three years to fix the things that go wrong over the next three years.

Jonkey's arselicker at this group (his unofficial spin-doctor....you know who he is) will be able to spout all the bullshit & spin he likes, the simple fact will be that the buck will stop at the top for everything, so the unofficial spin-doctor will merely be the jester who will be there for our entertainment!  Grin

And as a side-show, we will still have the retard from across the ditch popping up every so often like a demented jack-in-the-box to futher amuse us.

Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 09:30:38 am »

Bruss...."I guess we really will be able to blame literally every bad thing on the Nats from now on, because they've had an entire three years to fix the things that go wrong over the next three years."

..I along with you are confident in John Key and Nationals capability of managing NZ's economy through these tough times...but I must admit that I differ from you in that I dont believe they have much control over the Euro  economic crisis...good to see that you are in awe of John Keys power...I did not realise that you held him in such high esteem Tongue...thanks for your support Wink

Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 09:55:08 am »

I guess we really will be able to blame literally every bad thing on the Nats from now on, because they've had an entire three years to fix the things that go wrong over the next three years.

Jonkey's arselicker at this group (his unofficial spin-doctor....you know who he is) will be able to spout all the bullshit & spin he likes, the simple fact will be that the buck will stop at the top for everything, so the unofficial spin-doctor will merely be the jester who will be there for our entertainment!  Grin

And as a side-show, we will still have the retard from across the ditch popping up every so often like a demented jack-in-the-box to futher amuse us.

so KTJ when the European crisis becomes worse than it is now and there is a global collapse i guess you with your bitter and twisted view of everything will blame National and John key .....

Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 10:24:36 am »

I can't believe we the tax payers have to fork out for 59 Nat MPs and 34 Labour MPs. Both these parties are 20th Century parties that have shown both don't have the ability to evolve into the 21st Century. All they seem to do is try to drum up dirt on each other rather than run the country. The only place these two parties belong is in a musuem.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 10:28:21 am »

so KTJ when the European crisis becomes worse than it is now and there is a global collapse i guess you with your bitter and twisted view of everything will blame National and John key .....

Bad workmen always blame their tools.

However, the simple fact is that the Nats are the workman and the buck ultimately stops with them.

Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 11:20:18 am »

Bruss..."Bad workmen always blame their tools."

wow.....so you think that the European economy is a tool of the NZ govt...you are more deluded that I had previously estimated Shocked

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 07:05:17 am »

Nats can govern by one vote

The “ONE” vote....

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: