Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 01:58:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Asset sales: we have a mandate, Key insists

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asset sales: we have a mandate, Key insists  (Read 2225 times)
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« on: November 28, 2011, 03:50:12 am »

Prime Minister John Key yesterday totally rejected any suggestion that the National Party lacks a mandate to partially sell off state-owned assets.

Labour, the Greens, Mana and New Zealand First will all oppose any asset sales from Opposition despite National increasing its vote to 47.99 per cent - and some commentators have suggested National does not have a mandate.

Many polls before Saturday showed strong public opposition to sales.
"I utterly reject that," Mr Key told the Herald, in a clear indication of his intention to forge ahead.

More at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10769270

So in other words he is thumbing his nose at 75.9% of the people and saying stuff you I'm going to do what I want!
And this is the sort of 'leader' the country elected?

A dictator is what he is, no better than Hitler!

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:12:32 am »

TV1 coming up  inna minnit investors lining up for power companies ?
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
AnFaolchudubh
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 06:25:26 am »

Prime Minister John Key yesterday totally rejected any suggestion that the National Party lacks a mandate to partially sell off state-owned assets.

Labour, the Greens, Mana and New Zealand First will all oppose any asset sales from Opposition despite National increasing its vote to 47.99 per cent - and some commentators have suggested National does not have a mandate.

"I utterly reject that," Mr Key told the Herald, in a clear indication of his intention to forge ahead.

So in other words he is thumbing his nose at 75.9% of the people and saying stuff you I'm going to do what I want!

So whens your one way flight out of NZ and back to the UK?
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:35:53 am »

Well if the people didn't want asset sales they shouldn't have voted for National.

I certainly didn't.

The question is are very small investors, i.e. you and me going to get a chance to buy any of these shares or will we need several thousand dollars to get a look in?

I could possibly come up with a couple of hundred - as in a month's worth of working for families payments but that would be all.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:10:11 am »

So whens your one way flight out of NZ and back to the UK?

As soon as I've sold my house!
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:11:17 am »

My daughter and her family are going in January
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 08:30:58 am »

My daughter and her family are going in January

and my grand daughter, her husband and my greatgrands probably will be too
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:21:53 am »

As soon as I've sold my house!

I hope the grass is greener for you all, tho I doubt it will be!
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 11:33:42 am »

When the final votes come in for the election, there is a very real possibility of the Nats losing a list MP and the GREENs gaining a list MP.

That happened after the 2008 general election.

The number of special votes still to be counted are almost double the number of special votes that were counted following the 2008 election. A huge proportion of those special votes will be younger people who enrolled after the cut-off date, and it is known that they tend to support the GREENs over other parties. Hence the strong possibility of the GREENs gaining a 14th MP at the expense of the Nats reducing to 59 MPs.

And if that situation occurs, then the entire equation changes with regards to partial state asset sales. By the time you take the Speaker of Parliament out of the equation, that would give the Nats 58 voting MPs, plus John Banks supporting asset-sales. Against them would be Peter Dunne, who although part of the Nats coalition, is totally against partial asset sales, plus the Maori Party who are also against asset sales, except that they would be prepared to consider a preferential sale to Maori interests if asset-sales did go ahead, plus all remaining MPs from Labour, the GREENs and NZ First who are also anti-asset sales. Fifty-nine votes for asset sales and sixty-one votes against. Which would give the Maori Party a powerful leverage to tell John Key, “either agree to preferential sales to Maori interests or stick your asset sales up your arse!”

And could you imagine the true-blue-rinse Nats brigade out in the heartlands frothing at the mouth and going apeshit over those uppity Maoris (the redneck brigade in their ignorance tend to put an “s” on the end of Maori in the plural tense, hence the spelling of Maoris in this case) gaining control of a large proportion NZ's power infrastructure, then demanding board representation?

Bring on the final vote count! 

http://xtranewscommunity2.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,10960.0.html

Wait until after the final vote count, including the special votes.

The entire equation with regards to partial asset sales may yet change.

Maori may end up being the big winners! 
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 03:17:17 pm »

Well.....look for a dummy-spit from Jonkey.

Listening to Check Point on Radio NZ National, the Maori Party co-leaders have just clearly stated they WON'T be supporting asset-sales, full-stop, and have told John Key that during initial discussions in his office this afternoon.

Peter Dunne has said exactly the same thing during a press conference.

So.....even without any change in the MP makeup after special votes are counted, you've got 59 Nats MPs (after one has been taken out of the voting equation and become the Speaker of Parliament), plus John Banks, a total of 60 MPs voting against the Maori Party MPs, plus Peter Dunne, plus Labour, GREENs and NZ First MPs, equalling 60 MPs, which will be a dead-heat.

Parliament's rules state that if there is a dead-heat voting result on a bill, then that bill lapses and doesn't become law.

And as a bill would need to enacted into law to change the State-Owned Assets Act in order to accommodate partial asset-sales, then I guess Jonkey is going to be privately spitting tacks/shitting bricks!

And that is EXCELLENT NEWS!! 
Report Spam   Logged

akadaka
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 03:55:51 pm »

what a stupid fucking comment.........is he preparing to invade aussie or will he wait till he finishes building death camps down the waterfront !
Report Spam   Logged

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
reality
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 04:12:19 pm »

He made it clear before the election about his policy on selling assets...and was then voted in...I dont see a problem Shocked

if he can get enough members to win a vote...he can do it , if he cant get enough votes the assets wont be sold....

...but...if assets dont get sold ...it could mean...less tax cuts ...maybe tax increases....less govt spending.....longer period to pay off debt..NZ will take longer to increase the speed of growth...which means less jobs....more people going to OZ...etc, etc...

whatever happens..there aint no free lunch Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 04:26:26 pm »

what a stupid fucking comment.........is he preparing to invade aussie or will he wait till he finishes building death camps down the waterfront !

Well you are taking it too literally. Hitler was a dictator, he was extremely popular, and was a very clever man who gloried in the power he held. Now can you see the similarities?

Reality, Key has just said he was not going to use the money raised from asset sales to pay off the debt he has run up, and it will be at least five years before they are all sold......................so in the meantime he and English will continue borrowing and the taxpayers will continue to do it hard to pay it off. People will go to OZ anyway just because he's in power again!
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 04:47:26 pm »

nah...I think people go to OZ mainly because they know that they can earn a fuckin lot money here ...30% more I've seen quoted and then every dollar they earn is worth $1.30 NZ...so it is a substatial increase in income

...the other reason that people go to OZ is there is far more and varied opportunity here...personally I would rather live in NZ ...but there is not the demand for my profession  in NZ to be lucrative....and if people want to save money it can be done quickly

I think NZ is the winner from alot of kiwis working in OZ beacuse many of them will be sending OZ dollars home for various reasons...and the people who do go to OZ leave jobs available in NZ for other Kiwis

...if no kiwis were going to OZ ...maybe unemployment would be alot higher
Report Spam   Logged
akadaka
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 04:52:03 pm »

sorry tokgal but i know a lot of intelligent people who are happy key as won and doing very well under national.As for me,my life never changes under national or labor but i must admit my business is rocketing in the last 2 or 3 years and we have employed 3 new people.Must be the circles people move in but all i can say is a vast majority of people i come across are quite happy with the way things are at the moment and the elections have shown it for national.Funny how people percieve things because for me no one was more nazi like,patronising and in a weird world of her own than helen clark Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 05:32:51 pm »

Well you are taking it too literally. Hitler was a dictator, he was extremely popular, and was a very clever man who gloried in the power he held. Now can you see the similarities?

Stalin was also a dictator... and he was on the left...
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 05:42:52 pm »

I'm not talking left or right. Just the 'I'm right,everyone else is wrong' attitude.
Plus the way he rides roughshod over the wishes of the majority of the people who are paying his salary.

When asked on TV whether there was anything that would make him change his mind about asset sales, his reply was, " I don't want to!" So in other words, stuff what the citizens want, I'll do what I want!

I hope someone has taken a chainsaw to the doors in the beehive, cos they'll need to be made bigger to get his head through!
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 05:44:48 pm »

sorry tokgal but i know a lot of intelligent people who are happy key as won and doing very well under national.As for me,my life never changes under national or labor but i must admit my business is rocketing in the last 2 or 3 years and we have employed 3 new people.Must be the circles people move in but all i can say is a vast majority of people i come across are quite happy with the way things are at the moment and the elections have shown it for national.

Yes I've noted that too, was talking to a chap yesterday and he seemed pleased (he actually started the conversation) He said both he and his wife have jobs as did their kids and life was good!

Funny how people percieve things because for me no one was more nazi like,patronising and in a weird world of her own than helen clark Grin

LOL I've seen a couple of photos in the paper where she pissed off and she is almost the spitting image...
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 05:47:45 pm »

I'm not talking left or right. Just the 'I'm right,everyone else is wrong' attitude.
Plus the way he rides roughshod over the wishes of the majority of the people who are paying his salary.

When asked on TV whether there was anything that would make him change his mind about asset sales, his reply was, " I don't want to!" So in other words, stuff what the citizens want, I'll do what I want!

I hope someone has taken a chainsaw to the doors in the beehive, cos they'll need to be made bigger to get his head through!

So tell me tokgal, do you actually have any experience in NZ politics?

And what do you really care, you stated above you're heading home as soon as your house sells!
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 05:49:29 pm »

And my point about stalin is that there are many well known dictators, why chose Hitler? You could have chosen Musso!
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
Ferney

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 05:54:23 pm »

The no better than Hitler comment is a bit off considering Keys mother was a teenage jewish refugee from Austria who fled to the UK in 1939. 

Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 05:58:56 pm »

The no better than Hitler comment is a bit off considering Keys mother was a teenage jewish refugee from Austria who fled to the UK in 1939. 

I felt that too Ferney.
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 06:31:25 pm »

Hmmmmm.....if you look at Israel today, one really has to wonder if they have learnt well from the Nazis who used to persecute them.

Sometimes, the modern state of Israel behaves almost like those Nazis at times.
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 06:33:24 pm »

Yeah...should be a crime to protect yourself Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 05:42:37 pm »

Yeah...should be a crime to protect yourself Shocked

Well....it should be a crime to behave like a Nazi towards your neighbours!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: