Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 04:50:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Child poverty in NZ

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Child poverty in NZ  (Read 6138 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 08:26:38 pm »

Back then heating/fuel (aka firewood) was cheap.

That is why our cold houses are colder than they used to be. There was a time when keeping the fire going all day and banking it overnight was not only affordable but normal.

Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 09:01:06 pm »

And....back then, there was also no such thing as motor vehicles.

Perhaps Yak would like to go back to those days when the streets were full of horse-shit?

And....no electricity or telephones or television or radios too!
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 07:53:53 pm »

(click on the cartoon)
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 07:25:42 am »

Perhaps Yak would like to go back to those days when the streets were full of horse-shit?

Ahhh..... Nostalgia!
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 07:51:26 am »

(click on the cartoon)

Im wondering if anyone has noticed that the lock itself is locked but the latch can still be opened??
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magoo
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 08:17:58 am »

Please tell us how you managed.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 08:51:11 am »

(click on the cartoon)

Im wondering if anyone has noticed that??

yep. I had wondered whether the interpretation of that would be  "You can get in, but you can't get out".

I guess some people would see only that  the lock itself is locked but the latch can still be opened - the connection between the door and the link "click on the cartoon"  escapes me

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
ssweetpea

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 08:52:29 am »

Back in the day children that suffered from asthma didn't usually survive.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 08:54:07 am »

i think clicking on the cartoon takes u to a news item  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 03:19:26 pm »

Nope....it takes you to a thread at this group!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 04:15:33 pm »

Nope....it takes you to a thread at this group!  Grin

oooooooo u can see i didnt click it LOL
Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 03:39:46 pm »

The Working for Families package was introduced in 2004, which significantly improved social welfare assistance for low-income families and reduced child poverty by 70% between 2004 and 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Labour_Government_of_New_Zealand

so whats gone wrong ?

people not using Working for Families sensibly ?

Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 03:41:25 pm »

LOL 70%??

I wonder who discovered that reduction.
Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 04:29:38 pm »

LOL 70%??

you blonde L'lee ?

where does the link take you ?

Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2012, 05:11:09 pm »

well if yr saying wiki made the reduction .. i suspect u are wrong
Report Spam   Logged

Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2012, 11:04:59 pm »

Chinese toddlers tied up all day because their parents can't afford child care

Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2012, 12:45:32 am »

oh i forget you wouldnt believe Wiki at all since its founder is alleged to have raped had consensual sex with several women in Sweden ....

so you saying that in 2004 Working for families wasnt introduced and it didnt reduce child poverty in NZ as advised by the Labour Party ?

fuck and youve been telling us you were at the coalface of all things child/children and fought for 10 yrs for an independent investigative group [ investigating what who knows but you lol  ]...

now if my maths is correct that would have been back in 2002 ...... Labour introduced the reforms in 2004 were you not at the meetings around that L'lee ?

wow you are so amazing L'lee im surprised your not a household name along with the likes of Christine Rankin who has worked tirelessly for children in NZ ...

Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2012, 06:53:48 am »

oh i forget you wouldnt believe Wiki at all since its founder is alleged to have raped had consensual sex with several women in Sweden ....

so you saying that in 2004 Working for families wasnt introduced and it didnt reduce child poverty in NZ as advised by the Labour Party ?

fuck and youve been telling us you were at the coalface of all things child/children and fought for 10 yrs for an independent investigative group [ investigating what who knows but you lol  ]...

now if my maths is correct that would have been back in 2002 ...... Labour introduced the reforms in 2004 were you not at the meetings around that L'lee ?

wow you are so amazing L'lee im surprised your not a household name along with the likes of Christine Rankin who has worked tirelessly for children in NZ

oh i forget you wouldnt believe Wiki at all since its founder is alleged to have raped had consensual sex with several women in Sweden ..

ooops, newt  I guess you should edit your statement to remove what could be actionable as traducement, vilification, defamation, calumny, and slander by Jimmy Wales, Tim Shell and Michael E. Davis

NEWS 4 YOU

your
LOL 70%??

you blonde L'lee ?

to http://en.wikipedia.org/ 

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2012, 08:00:06 am »

Where did I say that?

Where have I ever said I was at any coalface?  Your second part of that is correct .. no assumption there - however its been since around 1997.

Nope .. definitely not at those meetings, however, if you could find the submissions that went into their reforms, you would find several from our organisation.  And those reforms had nothing to do with an independent complaints authority.

wow you are so amazing L'lee im surprised your not a household name along with the likes of Christine Rankin who has worked tirelessly for children in NZ ...

Many of those who work within the system, tirelessly for children in NZ arnt household names -- for instance Angie Rogerson, Julie Whitehouse, Pam Ryder & her brother Dan, then there is Graeme Axford, Katrina Crews, Caroline Cragg, Kylie Murray .. thats just a wee start for you .. all of those mentioned are not household names, but all of them have been part of the system for as long as Christine.  And for many many parents in NZ those peoples names ARE household names Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2012, 11:55:07 am »

Nitz i aint altering and posting to satisfy a Her Majesty im Always Right Dont Argue with Me L'lee....

the link i was referring to wasnt the wiki link you posted at all ....

i was referring to ...

what one will find here is what has been sanctioned by the Labour Party and taken from Labour Party records however im sure that HMIARDAM  L'lee will no doubt correct us .....

Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2012, 12:03:42 pm »

Back in the day children that suffered from asthma didn't usually survive.

another unfortunate unanticipated result of medical intervention (TGFT?) that interfered with the course of natural evolution?

Nitz ducks   Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2012, 12:05:51 pm »

oh dear golly gosh dont tell us all the L'lees of the child protection agencies up and down the land have got it wrong ....

guess it be back to school for them all now ...

what i do find very funny is Labour going on about food in schools programmes ..... BUT what did they do when they were govt 1999 - 2008 or has the poverty problem just happened since 2008 when national became govt ?

Food and learning connection challenged

Feeding hungry schoolchildren does nothing to boost their learning, a new report shows.

The findings have surprised experts in a week when campaigning to introduce free food at schools to combat child poverty put pressure on the Government.

The only "significant positive effect" was that children felt less hungry, the study into free school breakfasts found.

Head of the study, Associate Professor Cliona Ni Murchu, said there were indications that attendance at school was also likely to improve but in reading, writing and maths there was no noticeable improvement.

Researchers at Auckland University's School of Population Health studied 423 children at decile one to four schools in Auckland, Waikato and Wellington for the 2010 school year.

They were given a free daily breakfast - Weet-Bix, bread with honey, jam or Marmite, and Milo - by either the Red Cross or a private sector provider.

Despite the findings going against the assumption that well-fed children concentrate better and therefore do better at school, the report has not deterred the advocates of free food at schools.

"I'm not a researcher but I have been in the game for 36 years and I would support taking an educational role around diet," said John Coulam, president of the Waikato Principals Association.

"A positive of the breakfast programme is it educates children on what constitutes a healthy breakfast."

He said children often replaced an unhealthy or insufficient breakfast at home with a balanced nutritional one at school.

Ensuring children were well fed was also part of the cure to New Zealand's greater poverty problem, said Jacinda Ardern, Labour's spokeswoman for social development and children.

"We know poverty has an effect on education achievement. The food in schools programme is one way government and schools can fill a gap that exists because we don't think that we can stand by while children go hungry," she said.

An expert advisory group working for the children's commissioner this year estimated 270,000 New Zealand children - roughly one in four - live below "recognised poverty thresholds".

Labour has launched a $10 million policy to provide free food to 650 of the country's lowest decile primary and intermediate schools.

Prime Minister John Key rejected the idea, saying free fruit was already provided in "vast bulk" at low-decile schools and many had existing breakfast programmes.

Ni Murchu said there was a chance her study did not capture the children who most needed the breakfasts.

"There's always a risk that the kinds of people who participate are not the higher needs group." This was because her study participants had to get parental consent and fill in a lengthy questionnaire - a process that may have alienated the high-needs families.

Broadcaster John Campbell has led the charge for free school lunches this month and he drew a distinction between breakfasts, which the study focused on, and lunch.

Lunch was more likely to have an impact because it came at "a time when kids have done three or four hours and they go into the afternoon and are really lacking energy - more likely to drift off, be inattentive and get things wrong".

Lacking lunch also created stigma for a child, he said, continuing his call for a free $3 school lunch for children who needed it.

"Whatever we can do it is worth a shot. We will all do better if these children do better."

He said one positive was that the issue was on the main political agenda now.

Jonathan Boston, professor of public policy at Victoria University and co-chair of an expert advisory group of solutions to child poverty, said the research felt "very counterintuitive" but still warranted attention.

"If you came to the conclusion that providing food for disadvantaged children coming to school without will only benefit hunger then you have to say hunger matters - surely we don't want children sitting in school being hungry. Surely relieving their hunger is adequate justification."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/7814079/Food-and-learning-connection-challenged
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2012, 12:11:34 pm »

It did for my family... WFF put meat back on the menu for more than 3 nights a week.

However families on benefits or working less than 30 hours per week don't get WFF and the payments have not kept pace with the rise in the real costs of living.

Car prices, electronic prices and airfares don't matter to people close to the breadline - they don't spend money on those.

Rises in the price of food, mortgage payments, rents, rates, power, transport do matter a heck of a lot more.

what i do find very funny is Labour going on about food in schools programmes ..... BUT what did they do when they were govt 1999 - 2008 or has the poverty problem just happened since 2008 when national became govt ?

The credit crunch happened in 2008.
Jobs evaporated in 2008.
Wage rises stopped in 2008
...and all of the above hasn't changed a great deal since.
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2012, 12:30:36 pm »

Nitz i aint altering and posting to satisfy a Her Majesty im Always Right Dont Argue with Me L'lee....

the link i was referring to wasnt the wiki link you posted at all ....

i was referring to ...

what one will find here is what has been sanctioned by the Labour Party and taken from Labour Party records however im sure that HMIARDAM  L'lee will no doubt correct us .....

sorry 4 U Newt but

If you had had enough nous to search the three names I gave you in the "search site' panel of the http://en.wikipedia.org/  you would have seen that you are confusing WIKILEAKS Julian Assange with WIKIPEDIA's founders when you wrote " oh i forget you wouldnt believe Wiki at all since its founder is alleged to have raped had consensual sex with several women in Sweden .... "

Your error makes that phrase deframatory

My advice to you still stands. 

Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2012, 12:41:15 pm »

Anyone who thinks a perpetually hungry child learns as well as a well fed one has to be kidding themselves.

There are a lot of comments in that article that query the research.

Mind you, my thoughts on poverty in NZ are not known in this group.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: