Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 12:58:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Jail threat over Trade Me scam

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jail threat over Trade Me scam  (Read 61 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: October 26, 2011, 02:33:26 pm »

no trial until 2013 !!!!

wtf is wrong with the justice system if people have wait that long ?

A woman who faces more than 50 charges relating to online auction fraud has been warned she has one final chance to avoid prison.

Elmira Rafiee faces 55 charges of obtaining by deception, and one charge of using a computer for a dishonest purpose.

The 24-year-old allegedly scammed users of auction websites Trade Me and Sella by offering to sell them iPhones and iPads at too-good-to-be-true prices and never sending the goods.

Rafiee appeared in Auckland District Court today to apply for electronically monitored bail.

She was granted bail after she was initially charged in August, but has since breached its conditions three times.

Twice she was caught associating with her boyfriend Chadlyn Vanniekerk, whom she had been banned from seeing by a High Court judge after her first bail breach.

Rafiee was today granted electronic bail by Judge Semi Epati, who warned her if she breaches bail again she will probably be sent back to prison until her trial, which is likely to be held in 2013.

"I'm appalled at her attitude towards court orders while she's on bail," he said.

"If she breaches again, that will be it. She will remain in custody for a very long time until all matters are resolved."

Judge Epati granted the bail only after Rafiee's lawyer Mark Ryan assured the court that her family would be willing to cut off their internet access to ensure she did not breach bail conditions that prevent her from going online.

Rafiee has also been given a 24-hour curfew, meaning she must stay at her parents' house all day, every day and no non-family members are allowed to visit unless her parents are present.

Rafiee's alleged fraud totals about $46,000, including $1100 which one complainant paid for an iPad she never received.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/5855497/Jail-threat-over-Trade-Me-scam

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

akadaka
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 05:51:37 pm »

Rafiee has also been given a 24-hour curfew

thank god for that.....i would hate to be pissed on my travels around town and bonk that by mistake Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:57:56 pm »

Rafiee has also been given a 24-hour curfew

thank god for that.....i would hate to be pissed on my travels around town and bonk that by mistake Grin

She might say exactly the same thing if she saw you.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: