Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 09:40:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Rugby World Cup

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rugby World Cup  (Read 2691 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2011, 10:28:52 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2011, 01:31:38 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2011, 02:30:15 pm »

I knew the game would be close as France can really play a good game when it counts.  They'd be gutted to lose by 1.  I was nervous before the starting whistle and couldn't watch the 2nd half until Mr F called out 3 minutes to go.    The 11yr old was worse as he couldn't watch it at all. 
I watched all the interviews and panel talks afterwards and that was good.   I can tell you that I didn't feel any joy at the final whistle, just relief.

Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2011, 09:50:04 pm »

I can tell you that I didn't feel any joy at the final whistle, just relief.

That pretty much sums it up
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2011, 11:46:19 am »

That World Cup win was almost as good as watching Canterbury win the ITM Cup
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2011, 02:30:14 pm »

Cartoonist's uncanny Cup prediction

The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Tuesday, 25 October 2011

UNCANNY: The Tom Scott cartoon that appeared in The Dominion Post the day before the Rugby World Cup final.
UNCANNY: The Tom Scott cartoon that appeared in The Dominion Post the day before the Rugby World Cup final.

IT WAS a tongue-in-cheek cartoon, but turned into a prophecy.

"Why don't I have this luck with Lotto numbers?" cartoonist Tom Scott was wondering yesterday after his cartoon in Saturday's Dominion Post picked the way the Rugby World Cup final would unfold.

The cartoon depicted a rugby fan having a recurring nightmare in which Aaron Cruden was injured in the final, forcing the much maligned Stephen Donald onto the field to kick the goal that would determine who won or lost.

That's exactly what happened. When a knee injury forced Cruden off before halftime, Donald was forced to make his cup debut in the most pressure filled situation.

And after Piri Weepu sent three shots at goal astray, kicking duties were handed to the fourth-string number 10. But as the country held its breath, Donald calmly stepped up and nailed a penalty — and it was that kick which gave New Zealand its one point advantage when the final whistle blew.

Yesterday, Scott was bemused at how prophetic the cartoon had been. Although he had depicted Donald being pulled off the bench as a nightmare, he was happy to be proven wrong.

"I was really thrilled for him. He came on and played really well, he was really steady."

Scott wasn't sure if he had a natural knack for prophecy, but said the way the French played in the final showed you should never write people off — so maybe there was hope for Labour at the election, with a result that may be much closer than anticipated.

"That's my second prediction."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/5843644/Cartoonists-uncanny-Cup-prediction
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2011, 02:34:50 pm »

Tom Scott is a brilliant cartoonist who seems to have a knack of hitting the nail right on the head.

Here are another couple of his RWC-related cartoons, the first one from Wednesday last week and the other from today....

Last Friday, the Dominion Post published a Tom Scott cartoon hitting the nail right on the head about Jonkey, but I'll post that in a different thread. I just haven't quite decided which thread yet....Cool

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: