Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 09:33:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Rugby World Cup

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rugby World Cup  (Read 2507 times)
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« on: September 04, 2011, 07:29:13 pm »

I am loving the photos from my family in NZ at the welcoming of the teams to different towns around the Country.
This is whats makes me proud been a Kiwi, once off the field everyone mates and that is way cool.
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest49
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:09:10 pm »

I suppose it was inevitable that cup threads would appear, but I wish they would gather the teams, the balls, the cameramen and the sports reporters and ship the lot off to a tent city on the Ross Ice-shelf where they could play rugby to their hearts content.
YMMV.......
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 08:13:36 pm »

I suppose it was inevitable that cup threads would appear, but I wish they would gather the teams, the balls, the cameramen and the sports reporters and ship the lot off to a tent city on the Ross Ice-shelf where they could play rugby to their hearts content.
YMMV.......
Yeah!!! 
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:13:26 am »

Good on ya Kiwi.  Will be back later.
At last a thread that isn't about political crap ! .....  hopefully, but won't hold my breath.   
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 09:02:10 am »

sorry in advance, Ferney  Smiley   yeahbut

YMMV.......
Yeah!!! 

Ship 'em off

ANYWHERE ANYWHERE ANYWHERE at all as long as they take their

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=RWC+commercials+match+fit&aq=f   with 'em 

see what helps drive us crazier, K1W1

GRRRRRRRRRR
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 01:14:17 am »

Bloody good job....it looks like many of the greedies who ramped up prices in anticipation of the RWC have found they've got empty rooms because people don't want to pay their rip-off prices.

I'm heading up to Auckland for an afternoon concert the weekend after the RWC opening and was planing on staying up there at least one night, and possibly two (there's a convenient mid-evening Air NZ flight from Masterton to Auckland on Friday evenings and a Sunday evening flight back to Masterton), but the hotel I usually stay at had ramped up all of their prices (virtually trippled them when I tried to book three months ago) for that weekend, so I told them to stick it and booked a late-morning flight from Wellington on the Sunday (I can catch the train over to Wellington with plenty of time to spare), then the Sunday evening flight from Auckland to Masterton to get back home again on the same day after the concert.

Now....I'm suddenly getting bombarded with promotional emails from the GREEDY Auckland hotel offerering cut-price deals for that weekend, because they've got heaps of empty rooms (no doubt unsold due to their GREED), but they can get stuffed because I've made other arrangements. Good job....I hope nobody purchases those rooms that weekend. Serves the bastards right!

RWC hotel boom fails to show

By AMY ROSENFELD - The Dominion Post | 5:22PM - Wednesday, 07 September 2011

YOU'RE WELCOME: Hotels, like the St George, will be looking to fill as many beds as possible during the World Cup. — CHRIS SKELTON/The Dominion Post.
YOU'RE WELCOME: Hotels, like the St George, will be looking to fill as many beds as possible
during the World Cup. — CHRIS SKELTON/The Dominion Post.

AS the Rugby World Cup countdown nears its end, Wellington's hospitality industry is yet to see the forecasted tourism boom.

Accommodation providers contacted yesterday confirmed that, contrary to expectations, there are still many unbooked beds for nights between matches.

"Originally we'd expected it to be really busy for weeks, but I think we're in the same boat as everyone else in that it's only really been the weekends," a staff member at Apollo Lodge Motel said.

Cambridge Hotel accommodation manager Aaron Turner agreed bookings had been "pretty dead" on week nights.

"I think with all the hype our bosses were expecting a six-week hit where we were fully booked, but it hasn't been like that at all."

Businesses renting out private properties to World Cup visitors said yesterday that many home owners had inflated expectations of demand during the tournament.

"Some people have been a bit optimistic. When there are headlines saying places are charging $20,000 a week, people start to get greedy," Eric Waterson, creative director of Go Rugby Homes, said.

One central city apartment listed on the company's website was charging $1000-1200 a night, and yesterday had no bookings during the World Cup period.

Wellington attractions spoken to yesterday were yet to see any significant boost in numbers, but said foreign travellers were starting to trickle in. "We've definitely noticed a few new accents about the place," Zealandia chief executive Nancy Ward said.

Te Papa communications manager Phil McGrath said Tongan, Argentinian and South African supporters had been coming through the museum in their team colours.

"We've heard a lot of French accents too, but maybe they prefer to slip under the radar instead of dressing up."

A staff member at the Wellington Cable Car said that, despite extended opening hours on game weekends, it was not expecting a huge influx of customers.

Wellington restaurants are also citing business as usual, with most making only limited preparations for the World Cup.

"We'll definitely have to be holding more beer, but apart from that it won't be much different. We're pretty used to being busy," Scopa manager Thor Beyer said.

Boulcott Bistro is fully booked for lunch for most game days, but maitre d' Hayden Turner said this was common for any rugby game throughout the year.

The White House Restaurant office administrator Carla Cowin said most tournament nights were not particularly busy, although the Friday before Wellington's two quarterfinal matches had been booked out for more than a month.

Most accommodation providers are nearly full to capacity for the big weekend and for the final round of pool matches the weekend before, with thousands of tourists set to descend on the capital.

"We've got two double-header weekends in the start of October and we're looking very busy right through that period," James Cowan, director of sales and marketing at Amora Hotel, said.

Sue Robinson, managing director of property rental company 80 Minute Game, said bookings were low for early pool matches, but demand in October was high.

Hotels were coy about disclosing room rates, but most admitted they had raised tariffs for match weekends.

"It's just a supply and demand thing really," Mr Cowan said. "Prices are at the higher end when the big games are on."

More than half of the $45 million the tournament is forecasted to generate for the Wellington economy is expected to come from city's two quarterfinal matches.

STAYING WITHOUT PAYING

As an added blow to underbooked hotels, many World Cup tourists have chosen to avoid paid accommodation altogether.

Wellington members of the travel networking site CouchSurfing.org have been inundated with requests for accommodation during September and October.

The international website puts travellers looking for a place to stay in touch with locals who can provide a couch or bed.

"There are a lot of people who have obviously just joined up because of the World Cup and it's probably because they couldn't find any accommodation," Brooklyn host Brian Mullane said.

The 62-year-old taxi driver has been hosting couchsurfers in Wellington for five years, and has had up to nine travellers stay at his home at once.

Cuan Fredericks, a South African rugby fan, will stay with Mr Mullane for one of Wellington's quarterfinal matches.

"I just signed up after I got to New Zealand actually," Mr Fredericks said. "I hadn't heard of it before but I thought it would be a good way to get around for the World Cup."

Tamsin Blundell, a host in Newtown, said she received about five requests a day for World Cup accommodation, but was annoyed that most of them did not respect the ideals of couchsurfing, which were to encourage cultural appreciation and respect by allowing travellers to connect with local people and become immersed in the culture of their destination.

"They're all just copy and paste messages too, so they've sent it to absolutely everyone," she said.

"It really pisses me off actually, because they don't really care what couchsurfing is about — they just want a place to stay so they can watch rugby."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/capital-life/off-the-field/5582483/RWC-hotel-boom-fails-to-show
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 02:17:45 pm »

It ain't only hotel/motelaccommodation prices were ramped up

(self contained) Rental campervans in hot demand for RWC.  http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1.asp?storyid=203236        

Special provisions are also being made to make sure there are enough facilities for RWC 2011 supporters enjoying the tournament by selfcontained motorhomes, which is why el cheapo campervans companies drop prices  http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/175060/campervans-drop-prices  

Central City - Street Level Rooftop Carpark

Drive in at street level to this central city non-powered parking area. Only 15 minutes walk to the Wellington Stadium and five minutes to Courtenay Place.
You will be in the middle of the city, with shopping, bars, cafés and an inner-city supermarket close-by. This is a non-facility site, and we ask that you leave the area as you found it, with no trace of your stay. Entry height restricted to 3m. Charges apply.

56 Boulcott Street, Wellington Central.
http://www.wellingtonnz2011.com/visiting-fans/accommodation/motorhomes-and-camping
Other Councils around the country are doing the same sort of temporary parkups

TGFT?
Cheap flights for rugby-averse  http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=1074647

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 04:46:45 pm »

Airlines have been offering cheap flights for some time out of NZ at the same time the rugby following hoardes are flying to ENZED, then cheap flight returning to NZ around the same time the foreign rugby hoardes are flying back home again.

In the case of Air NZ, you can fly to London and back for half-price (including heavily-discounted business class). Although it may be a bit late now, as some of the travel bargains travelling away from NZ for a holiday during the RWC were so good that they've probably been snapped up by now.

Report Spam   Logged

Ferney

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 05:47:36 pm »

Lots of French tourists around Manukau this week and camper vans with their flags. Mr F was talking to one family who said they were here for the RWC.   They are following their team around the country.    Lots in the Westfield food hall and local supermarkets.  They have a game against Japan on the Shore on Sunday.  Cars everywhere with flags and all the main roads have flags on the street light poles so its all looking pretty.   I'll swear every second car has a Tongan flag.        We've got car flags for NZ and the All Blacks and grandson 2nd team he's supporting South Africa. 
We've going by train to the viaduct tomorrow afternoon    Should be fun.
Report Spam   Logged
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 05:58:05 pm »

I am so home sick, this is what i love about home.
People who love there sport really get behind there teams.  I cannot wait for Friday for the opening.
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Ferney

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 08:17:00 pm »

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸ ...¸.¤\
\¸.ALL BLACKS! ,.,\
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤ .¸¸.¸.¤*
..\
☻/
/▌
/ \ Rugby World Cup 2011 !!! GO ALL BLACKS!!!

Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 10:55:13 pm »

I'm not really into rugby but enjoyed last night's match between the All Blacks and Tonga. I must admit I am thoroughly enjoying hearing the NAtional Anthems sung as they should be. I was so proud to be a New Zealander when the Massed Choir sang God Defend New Zealand with full orchestra accompliment. So often the Anthems are bastardised by wannabe singers. I see all matches will have a classy version with singers nationwide having auditioned to be part of the choirs based at each venue.
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 11:11:54 pm »

last nights Opening Ceremony was to be the best i have ever seen for any major sporting event ...

ive watched many Olympic Openings but they dont imo come anywhere near what we saw last night ...

short powerful and dramatic .....

in this house there wasnt a dry eye amongst us ....

we all felt so proud to be kiwi
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 07:13:44 am »

Glad you enjoyed it.

'cause you're going to be paying for it for a long, long time! 

Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 08:05:52 am »

Glad you enjoyed it.

Why don't you throw a bucket of cold water over the enjoyment some are getting from this - nice one
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 08:07:50 am »

last nights Opening Ceremony was to be the best i have ever seen for any major sporting event ...

ive watched many Olympic Openings but they dont imo come anywhere near what we saw last night ...

short powerful and dramatic .....

in this house there wasnt a dry eye amongst us ....

we all felt so proud to be kiwi

Report Spam   Logged
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 04:40:54 pm »

It is nice to see that these big teams have to fight for the win.  Aussie are getting a run for there money.
Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 08:32:25 pm »

Glad you enjoyed it.

wtf ?

i wont be paying anything for RWC ......

the IRB have a Budget that covers the cost of the Opening Ceremony .....
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 05:04:57 pm »

I thought the opening ceremony was beautifully done and agree with you NT on it being just the right length. 
The choir for the anthems gets 10 out of 10 as well. 

Have watched 7 games so far.  Missed on Fiji Namibia.   
Looked everywhere last week for a Rumanian flag but didn't find one.  Mr F can't find a Scotland one either but he's not given up looking yet, even though he was supporting Rumania to win the game.  I think he's confused and really is a Kiwi now, just doesn't know it. 
The games have been so entertaining.  I wanted Rumania and Italy to win and Wales came so so close. 
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 07:09:53 am »

Absolutely Positively Fabulous Cup Opening

By MICHELLE DUFF and LANE NICHOLS - The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Planet New Zealand

THE TRAINS WORKED, the fans hit local nightspots in droves and hospitality trade was booming — which makes it one down, seven to go for Wellington's Rugby World Cup.

The near-capacity crowd of 33,331 fans that crammed into Wellington Regional Stadium on Sunday night arrived and departed without incident, with the official fanzone seeing plenty of action, and bars and restaurant owners reporting a busy weekend in the capital.

While Auckland's public transport network buckled on Friday, Wellington buses and trains ferried huge crowds to and from the Wales-Springboks clash, with no reported problems.

Go Wellington added additional buses and stadium shuttles to handle the influx of rugby fans.

Spokesman Zane Fulljames said the company carried about 17,000 passengers on Sunday. A normal Wellington game day generated about 12,000 passengers.

"There's a tremendous amount of planning goes into these types of events."

Tranz Metro trains ferried 10,000 inbound passengers into Wellington ahead of the game and about 8000 on return journeys. A spokeswoman said the trains were "crowded but not at capacity".

Extra trains were put on to clear crowds after the match on the Johnsonville, Kapiti and Upper Hutt lines and services performed without a hitch.

Hospitality Association Wellington branch president Jeremy Smith, whose Trinity Group owns bars, bottle stores and hotels, said takings over the weekend were much higher than expected.

"That seems to be the general consensus. It was a wonderful weekend, definitely Wellington came alive — we just had people everywhere. Even on Sunday night, a big proportion of people who went to the stadiums came back to the bars and partied till pretty late."

The downside was felt during the week at the city's hotels, where occupancy was falling below usual levels because fans were leaving town between games and regular business customers were avoiding travel, he said.

"It is a trade-off."

The closest bar to the stadium is Trax Bar and Cafe, and manager Leigh Ellis said Sunday night's takings equalled those of a big All Blacks test.

They were usually closed on weekends, but had opened especially, with extra bar staff in anticipation of thirsty fans.

Wellington Free Ambulance spokesman Ross Cameron said there were only six callouts in the area between the stadium and the triage centre on Courtenay Place, with one patient taken to hospital for a pre-existing medical condition.

The other patients were treated for a rolled ankle, chest pains, intoxication and a rib injury from a fall.

"People are having a good time, there's no doubt about it, and looking after themselves. Time will tell how that goes over the next few weekends."

Wellington City Council Festival of Carnivale producer Andy Scotland said entry to the waterfront fanzone during Friday night's opening ceremony had been limited, capping the numbers at around 2500 of the 3000 capacity because of the many families there.

International fans, locals on their way home from work and families enjoyed the entertainment on the stage and big screen – although the weather on Saturday and Sunday meant the numbers did not pass 1000 at the peak of both days.

But the South African cultural festival in Civic Square attracted thousands despite the drizzle. "We are very happy with the beginning, and it's just going to get better," Ms Scotland said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/5611630/Positively-fabulous-cup-opening
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 08:15:16 am »

Right hotel, wrong country

World Cup visitors 19,000km off course!

By MICHELLE DUFF - The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Tuesday, 13 September 2011

GLOBALLY CONFUSED: South African rugby fans Michael and Sunette Adendorff couldn't find the hotel they had booked into via the internet. — BEN CURRAN/The Marlborough Express.
GLOBALLY CONFUSED: South African rugby fans Michael and
Sunette Adendorff couldn't find the hotel they had booked
into via the internet. — BEN CURRAN/The Marlborough Express.

A SOUTH AFRICAN COUPLE promised "splendid" views of the bustling Eastbourne pier from the Majestic Hotel couldn't understand why it wasn't on their GPS — until they realised they were about 19,000 kilometres off track.

"I booked into the right hotel, just in the wrong country," said Michael Adendorff yesterday, who was unfortunately unable to keep his booking at the $180 a night Majestic Hotel in Eastbourne, England, for last Friday and Saturday night. Michael and Sunette Adendorff found themselves driving around in circles in Eastbourne, Wellington, on Friday afternoon, wondering why a street named Royal Parade wasn't registering on their GPS system.

When they pulled in to Eastbourne pharmacy on Rimu Street to ask for directions, employee Linda Burke had some bad news.

"They just walked in and asked me where Royal Parade was, with the Majestic Hotel, and I said: Oh no, there's no hotel here."

"I looked at it and said: That's in the UK, that's in England."

"He checked on the internet and said he did think it was funny they charged him in pounds."

Ms Burke wasn't about to let the pair go without accommodation, so offered to put them up in her own house for the night.

The long-term Eastbourne resident then took the pair to the local RSA for beers and dinner, where they watched the New Zealand vs Tonga match and received some good-natured ribbing.

"We met a lot of locals from Eastbourne, it was very nice," Mr Adendorff said.

"The Kiwis took the piss out of us because of our silly mistake but it was very nice and they were very friendly."

The website of the Bay Majestic Eastbourne Hotel in Eastbourne, England, advertises splendid views directly opposite the beach, "within a few minutes walk of the bustling pier and picturesque Redoubt Gardens, and lying close to the heart of the town".

Mr Adendorff couldn't understand how they managed to make the colossal mistake, which left them about $363 out of pocket.

But Ms Burke's hospitality more than made up for the mix-up.

"The welcome and the way we were treated and the way we saw Eastbourne was much better than if we had booked into a hotel," Mr Adendorff said. "She took in two complete strangers, and it all worked out well."

However, the English hotel would not refund him, saying he left it too late.

The pair are now in Picton, and will be back in Wellington next week to stay at the West Plaza Hotel — which Mr Adendorff has double-checked is indeed in Wellington, New Zealand.

Yesterday, Ms Burke shrugged off her generosity.

"I've done a bit of travelling, and sometimes you get in a tricky situation and people just help."

"That's what Kiwis do, don't they? They were a lovely couple."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/capital-life/off-the-field/5611668/Right-hotel-wrong-country
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 10:44:00 am »

A man had two of the best tickets for the Rugby World Cup Final. As he sits down, another man comes along and asks if anyone is sitting in the seat next to him. "No ..... ," he says,  "the seat is empty."

"This is incredible ....... !" said the man, "who in their right mind would have a seat like this for the Rugby Cup Final, the biggest sporting event of the Rugby World and not use it ....... ?

He says, "Well actually, the seat belongs to me. My wife was supposed to come with me,  but she passed away. This is the first Cup Final we haven't been to, together, since we got married .... ....

"Oh . . ... I'm sorry to hear that. That's terrible. I guess you couldn't find someone else, a friend, or relative, or even a neighbour, to take the seat .... ?"

The man shakes his head .. . .,

"No ....... . They're all at the funeral."

Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 11:42:44 am »

A man had two of the best tickets for the Rugby World Cup Final. As he sits down, another man comes along and asks if anyone is sitting in the seat next to him. "No ..... ," he says,  "the seat is empty."

"This is incredible ....... !" said the man, "who in their right mind would have a seat like this for the Rugby Cup Final, the biggest sporting event of the Rugby World and not use it ....... ?

He says, "Well actually, the seat belongs to me. My wife was supposed to come with me,  but she passed away. This is the first Cup Final we haven't been to, together, since we got married .... ....

"Oh . . ... I'm sorry to hear that. That's terrible. I guess you couldn't find someone else, a friend, or relative, or even a neighbour, to take the seat .... ?"

The man shakes his head .. . .,

"No ....... . They're all at the funeral."

Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 12:47:34 pm »

Guess who I saw having a trianing run while I was Nordic walking on Takapuna beach yesterday.

The French rugby squad.

I said bonjour as I walked passed.

Boy, was Sp1 jealous Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Ferney

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 12:26:00 pm »

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸ ...¸.¤\
\¸. SAMOA! ,.,\
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤ .¸¸.¸.¤*
..\
☻/
/▌
/ \
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up