Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 06:16:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

[b]Silhouette Photography[/b]

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [b]Silhouette Photography[/b]  (Read 1086 times)
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« on: January 28, 2009, 04:38:49 pm »

Silhouette Photo Tips and Techniquesby Trisha Leung

Summary: Silhouette photography can produce dramatic results when the subject appears totally black while the light background is exposed correctly. With practice, experience, and a little luck you can capture truly amazing silhouette images.

Many photographers probably have stared at a silhouette image and pondered to themselves how exactly it had been taken and composed. Silhouette images could contain a couple looking at a sunset, a cityscape with the sun shining through buildings, or just a normal horizon.
In order to get an effective silhouette image, a photographer must be in the right place at the right time and have the right exposure settings.

Sillouette Definition:
In the area of photography, a silhouette is defined as an outline that appears dark against a light background. More specifically, it is where your subject appears as a plain black shape against a brighter background. It is an artistic photography expression that many photographers like to refine and perfect in their images.

This effect can be achieved with any bright light source with the sun being the most common. In a sunset silhouette photo, the sunlight in the background is exposed correctly forcing everything else in the photo to be underexposed causing the effect.

Silhouette Techniques
When you are preparing to take a silhouette image, there are many things to keep in mind. These tips are equally effective for both digital and film photography. First of all, you need to make sure that there is not too much light on your subject, even if it is being reflected on to your subject the stray light will ruin the effect.

If there is not enough light in the background, your subject will appear grey instead of black. The effect is just multiplied when you have multiple colors of bright lights in the background. Some photographers focus on artificial lights, others focus on the sun at certain times of the day, the possibilities are endless.

My Silhouette Tips and Techniques
I usually take my silhouette images when the sun is just above the horizon. I prefer the time around sunset because the sun causes the sky to be brighter than everything else for greater contrast.

Another technique I use is to align the sun directly behind the subject so it causes a glow effect around the main subject. I usually use a relatively big subject so it creates a more drastic effect then a small insignificant subject.

I always use a narrow aperture (high f/stop) so the camera captures the whole scene with a high depth of field so everything is in focus. I usually use the aperture manual mode on my camera so I can control what the aperture will be and then the camera automatically selects the right shutter speed necessary for the photo.

If you are trying to create the effect with a point-and-shoot camera make sure you compose the photo with the background light by pointing the camera at the background. If you compose the image by pointing the camera at your dark subject, then the background will be over-exposed and you will not end up with a silhouette.

There is no exact science to taking a great silhouette image. It will take practice, luck, and experience to capture truly amazing silhouette images. So keep practicing.

About the Author Trisha Leung is a digital photography enthusiast and regularly submits articles to PictureCorrect.com which offers tips and news about digital photography, digital camera reviews, photoshop tutorials and computer wallpaper.
Call Of The Wild Photo Comments:
While you are learning this technique, bracket your shots. Many newer cameras, digital or film, come with an automatic bracketing function. If you are unfamiliar with autoexposure bracketing, check your camera's manual for instructions.

If you own a digital camera, it will be less expensive to practice with. A desk lamp can be used as a back-light and the subject can be just about anything. The resulting test images can be deleted when your done. What you learn will easily translate to your film camera.

Then, when the opportunity arrives, you'll be better prepared to capture that perfect silhouette. -Anita

http://www.callofthewildphoto.com/articles/silhouette-photography-tips.html

Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: