Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 10:07:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

'Fair Go' presenter assaulted

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Fair Go' presenter assaulted  (Read 407 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« on: July 31, 2011, 09:11:15 pm »

'Fair Go' presenter assaulted
By Bevan Hurley
5:30 AM Sunday Jul 31, 2011 

"Occasionally, Fair Go crews are jostled and threatened while filming, but rarely has anyone been physically assaulted in the programme's 34-year history.

"Security routinely accompanies Fair Go on jobs where confrontation is possible. Gordon's trip to Mt Maunganui on Friday was not considered to be one of those situations."

A cameraman who was filming with Harcourt was unhurt during the incident, which occurred about 3.30pm.

TVNZ was still determining damage to camera equipment. It was hoped that footage could be retrieved to form part of the police evidence against the car dealer.

Detective Sergeant Darryl Brazier, head of Mt Maunganui CIB, said police were still investigating the incident.

Former Fair Go presenter Kevin Milne said he was appalled but not surprised that his friend had been attacked.

"I think the scary thing about working for Fair Go is that the attacks come from the most unlikely quarters. We did come across some nasty characters, a guy threatened to bomb my house once."

Milne said the rule when confronted during filming was to "keep the cameras rolling".

"I'm sure Gordie will be hoping that it was all captured on film."

The car dealer has already featured in a Fair Go piece.

Harcourt exposed the caryard for offering $800 for a "repo-ed wreck" which it later put back on the lot for $7000.

According to Fair Go, the caryard's target market is low-income people, attracted by no-deposit terms and cheap weekly payments.

"Beneficiaries welcome" says the marketing.

The company director also runs a finance company that offered rates as high as 30 per cent.

Harcourt has appeared on TV screens since 1989.

In 2001 he moved to the UK and worked for the BBC and as a London correspondent for TVNZ, before returning to work for Fair Go in 2008.

By Bevan Hurley

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10742007
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 07:18:54 am »

'Fair Go' episode may not air after alleged assault
By James Ihaka
5:30 AM Monday Aug 1, 2011 

A Fair Go episode in which presenter Gordon Harcourt was allegedly assaulted may not go to air as planned.

Harcourt was standing on a public footpath with a freelance cameraman and about to record a piece when he was allegedly punched three times at Mt Maunganui about 3.30pm on Friday.

A 47-year-old company director, the subject of a previous Fair Go investigation, has been charged with assault and will appear in Tauranga District Court on Thursday.

TVNZ spokeswoman Andi Brotherston said it was unclear whether the episode, which was due to screen next week, will air as the matter was now before the courts.

Ms Brotherston said TVNZ's legal team would likely make a decision this morning.

Harcourt, who suffered a black eye, a bleeding nose and suspected concussion, is understood to be shaken but Ms Brotherston said he would "definitely" be back at work this week.

His old colleague and former Fair Go presenter Kevin Milne said it was "incredibly lucky" that the show's reporters had not suffered more serious assaults.

Milne said that in his 27 years with Fair Go he had never been physically attacked despite numerous confrontations and a man threatening to blow up his house.

He also struggled to remember any of his colleagues being hit.

"The astounding thing is it hasn't happened more often ...

"When you think of some of the situations we were in it just astounds me there wasn't more aggro of that type," he said.

"You'd get plenty of people fronting up with their fists.

"Maybe the younger ones like Gordy who are fronting up got it instead of me because I was such an old bugger and they probably had a sneaking respect for the elderly."

Milne said the show rarely used back-up security for its reporters although staff were well aware of the potential for serious conflict.

"I think it ramps things up to be honest.

"I wouldn't like to [have security] unless there were very good reasons for doing so.

"But I suppose if it became a regular thing you might do though. As I say I've never been attacked."

The previous Fair Go investigation into the accused looked at two cases where his finance company repossessed vehicles before improving and selling them on his car yard at higher prices.

In one case a repossessed car, valued independently at $800, had $3000 spent on it before it was put back on the lot for $6995.

The car dealer and financier said he had acted within the law and profits from the sales were "modest" and his practices were "standard".

The accused could not be contacted for comment about whether he will defend the charge against him.

Another man, whose number was listed as the after-hours contact for the dealership, would not comment on what Fair Go was investigating his colleague for.

By James Ihaka

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10742153
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 07:38:30 am »

I thought Fair go had imploded years ago. Do people still watch it?
Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 07:52:30 am »

I thought Fair go had imploded years ago. Do people still watch it?

Do people still watch it?

If they didin't before I bet they do now
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:07:07 pm »

Fair Go episode goes to air after assault

Yahoo! New Zealand
August 2, 2011, 10:09 am

Fair Go has decided to air the show which investigates a Mt Maunganui businessman who allegedly assaulted a presenter.

Gordon Harcourt was standing on the street ready to do a piece on the businessman when he was allegedly attacked.

Harcourt suffered a black eye, a bleeding nose and cuts to his face after he was reportedly punched three times.

The man has been charged with assault and will appear in Tauranga District Court on Thursday.

Tauranga police have said they will lay a second charge of intentional damage to the camera.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/9956090/fair-go-episode-goes-to-air-after-assault/
Report Spam   Logged

Crusader
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:11:37 pm »

I love Fair Go, you get to see the corrupt get their comeuppance.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 07:24:50 pm »

I reckon there'll be a huge viewing audience for Fair Go tonight, eh? 

Nothing like a bit of biffo to push the ratings up somewhat!   
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Crusader
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 07:35:57 pm »

I'm watching it now
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 08:03:54 pm »

sheesh, got busy elsewhere... did they show it?
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 10:13:21 pm »

Yep.....although they blanked out the faces of the perpetrators.

I guess they'll be trying to not give the violent wankers' lawyers a chance to claim they cannot get a fair trial due to their dials being plastered all over the TV.

But I betcha the cops will be using the footage from the camera as evidence.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 10:25:54 am »

It was carefully edited, hard to know how much had been cut out if anything. I suspect that they were very careful to not prejudice any court action.

From what was shown it is very hard to figure out just why those 3 guys chose to indulge in a bit of biffo - but that too may be reality.

The bigger story however is one that has been causing problems for years and infact is behind the sub-prime lending practices that start the credit crunch. i.e. money being loaned at huge interest rates to people who should never have been loaned money to in the first place.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 10:56:59 am »

The bigger story however is one that has been causing problems for years and infact is behind the sub-prime lending practices that start the credit crunch. i.e. money being loaned at huge interest rates to people who should never have been loaned money to in the first place.

Does the wife run the finance company part of the carsales... ?
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 03:05:56 pm »

I used to have a cousin in Hastings who was a loan-shark, preying on desperate people at the bottom of the socio-economic heap.

When he died suddenly of a heart attack, I rejoiced in his death because I knew he would no longer be able to rip people off.

If I had been in Hastings around that time, I would have danced on the arsehole's grave!
Report Spam   Logged

Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 05:08:57 pm »

Do people still watch it?

No.   Haven't watched Fair Go since Alison Mau joined it.   Can't stand her voice as it can make the most interesting things sound boring.
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 08:33:04 pm »

It shows the IQ of some of these loan sharks. Assaulting someone when there is a camera turned on. Isn't that a Darwin Award?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: