Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 08:13:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Controversial private prison opens to be run by SERCO but who is SERCO

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Controversial private prison opens to be run by SERCO but who is SERCO  (Read 277 times)
Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: July 29, 2011, 12:27:14 am »

But Check the SERCO story out below

Controversial private prison opens

A controversial new private prison opened in Auckland today.

Corrections Minister Judith Collins opened the Mt Eden Corrections Facility, the first since 2005 to be managed by a private sector contractor.

Opposition parties have consistently condemned the move and concerns have been raised about problems at overseas prisons run by the British company, Serco, which will operate the new jail. International reports linked Serco prisons with violence, overcrowding and poor health care.

The transition to Serco management will start tomorrow and be completed in August.

The new 554-bed Mt Eden prison building, gatehouse and support buildings will replace the existing Mt Eden Prison, which was opened in 1888. The facility would incorporate Auckland Central Remand Prison (ACRP) and be known as Mt Eden Corrections Facility. It will provide accommodation for up to 966, mainly remand, prisoners.

Ms Collins said the prison would be the country's most modern prison in terms of design and approach to management of prisoners and rehabilitation.

"It's crucial that prisons not only keep dangerous criminals securely locked away, but they have a strong focus on helping prisoners turn their lives around.

"It is our responsibility to ensure prisoners have the skills to find employment, or to help them beat the addictions that inevitably lead them back to a life of crime."

ACRP was under private management from 1999-2005 before the Labour Government prohibited private management of prisons.

In 2009 the Government passed the Corrections (Contract Management of Prisons) Amendment Act 2009, which allowed private sector organisations to tender for contracts to manage prisons on a case-by-case basis.

"The Department's contract with Serco is about encouraging new ideas and new approaches," Ms Collins said.

"Because when it comes to an issue as important as reducing crime and keeping New Zealanders safe, we don't want to be straitjacketed by ideology. We want to do what works."

Serco Asia Pacific managing director civil government Paul Mahoney said the company had committed to improving prisoner outcomes.

"Our team has been working closely with the Department of Corrections over the last few months to ensure a smooth transition to Serco in readiness for August 1, when we will also take full operational responsibility for the existing Auckland Central Remand Prison," Mr Mahoney said.

The multi-storey prison cost more than $200 million to build. The new prison, which overlooks the southern motorway approaches to Auckland, attracted controversy last year when critics said it would be built on a prime position and would give prisoners stunning views of the city and harbour.

The Department of Corrections said that would not be the case.

Former Auckland mayor John Banks also criticised it as an "architectural monstrosity".

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10715981

SERCO - The Biggest Company you've Never Heard of
2010 01 10
By Jane Martinson | guardian.co.uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyFkXmx8gxc&feature=player_embedded

Serco Group plc is a business services company based in Hook, North Hampshire in the United Kingdom. Serco was founded in 1929 as a United Kingdom division of the Radio Corporation of America and initially provided services to the cinema industry. It changed its name to Serco in 1987 and has been a London Stock Exchange listed company since 1988.

Happy, touchy-feely and driven by God

Have you recently travelled on a train in northern England? Or on London's Docklands Light Railway? Or perhaps been caught by a speed camera?

If the answer to any of these questions was yes - or you have spent any time in custody or the armed forces -chances are you have dealt with the support services company Serco. With almost 48,000 people helping to service 600 largely public-sector contracts around the world, Serco is probably the biggest company you've never heard of.

Christopher Rajendran Hyman
Next Wednesday, the company's ambitious young chief executive, Christopher Rajendran Hyman, is expected to announce a strong set of results with a bumper £13bn order book. In the past six years Serco has doubled its turnover to an estimated £2bn a year and almost trebled its profits to about £100m after benefiting from the switch from public to private sector.

The City is usually sceptical about such low profit margins, but Hyman, a 42-year-old who combines the zeal of Cliff Richard with the determination of Seb Coe in his racing days, manages to make such margins seem like a good thing while at the same time buying firms that improve matters.

"One of the things we find around 37 countries, is what people find acceptable. What sort of money should people make out of the public sector," he explains in the company's headquarters close to the river Thames in Richmond.

An Indian Pentecostal Christian from South Africa, Hyman is an unusual chief executive in many ways, not least his enthusiasm for what he calls the values of doing business. He gave a speech on the subject at the Business in the Community conference last year which made seasoned executives sit up and take notice, such was his enthusiasm for putting people first so that the rest - profits, investors, power - would follow.

Upright
"I am very passionate about our values and building this company not to make a profit," he says. "If profit is an immediate by-product, then that's wonderful ... If you can make it have an impact on society, people's lives and make it fun, crumbs, then we don't have to worry about making this profit or that. It happens naturally."

Slim, upright and gleaming with good health, he doesn't quite bang the table when he speaks but you sense that he might do at any moment. With an incredibly direct gaze and fierce handshake, he describes himself as "evangelical" about getting people to feel that their work really matters, whether it's keeping records for schools in Walsall or maintaining Greenwich mean time signals.

"You can choose to leave a mark or you can choose not to. I tell people here: if you can make a difference in whatever you do, bid it. Don't give me a proposal that makes a shed-load of money - will it be a better place when you leave than when you arrived?" He insists Serco was founded with these values; he has just capitalised on his inheritance and stressed honesty as the best policy when dealing with all management issues. He doesn't pretend to agree just to make a subordinate feel better, for example.

Unlike most chief executives, Hyman is perfectly happy to link his business ethos with his personal beliefs. "I've taken it to a more personal level because I absolutely grew up with these values."

He was brought up, the second of four children, in a deeply religious household in apartheid Durban. "My faith is very strong. My whole life, I believe, is driven by God. It's well known that if Einstein had a son I would be furthest away from that relative. I'm no genius," - at this point, he smiles a dazzling smile - "what I am successful for is listening to God." He donates a biblical tithe - or 10% of his annual income (£569,018 last year) - to his local Pentecostal church in Surrey and fasts every Tuesday, as he has done every week of his life.

Asked if this is difficult in Britain, where spending every Sunday in the pub is often more socially acceptable than at church, he admits it can be. "Yes, people laugh. People ask if it's some weird cult thing. Why don't I swear? Because I refuse to. Why don't I drink? Because I was taught not to. Why haven't I ever tried any of those things? It was the way I was brought up."

Hyman has instilled some of these values at Serco, where staff are advised not to hold an official evening function unless partners and spouses are invited. Hyman's version of "having a good time and celebrating our success" means sharing an orange juice at lunchtime.

Conscious of my own department's late-night leaving party for the boss the night before our meeting, I start to squirm slightly in my chair but fortunately Hyman does not notice.

"I'm always sober so when the guys tell me the same joke for the tenth time at 11.30pm, I still laugh. But you tend to see silly behaviour from the irresponsible people, the weaker part of society, starting to misbehave ... I don't want to be the sponsor of that." According to Serco's own survey, 80% of the former public-sector workers feel happier in the private-sector firm. Perhaps more tellingly, Serco itself has been named Britain's most admired support services company in an annual Management Today survey for two years running.

Hyman, who has two young children and a South African wife, was described as "driven" and "relentlessly affable" by analysts. A man who constantly uses slightly old-fashioned idioms such as "head honcho", "nutter" and "airy fairy" describes himself as a "happy chap". "When I wake up in the morning I think good thoughts; 99% of people are good people."

The enthusiasm has a sub-stratum of relentless competitiveness. Towards the end of the interview, he admits: "I am never good enough. I am a depressive. It all becomes very personal."

A great sprinter when younger, he considered a career as an athlete when he ran 100 metres in 10.8 seconds. He went on a special diet and made himself vomit, but then realised that he would never be good enough to win gold and stopped. He is a passionate formula 3 motor racer but cried when he came fourth in his first ever race. "I felt such a failure - I was embarrassed and incredibly emotional."

Proud
"I'm probably one of the most competitive people around," he admits. "I can't play tennis with my wife without serving my normal serve. She quite often calls me a 4-year-old child and storms off." When his wife asks if just once he would let his seven-year-old son beat him at go-karting, he said he would be teaching him that "he's better than an adult". "It's terrible," he admits.

He is hugely proud of his father, the son of a waiter who runs seven businesses in South Africa. His father started by "selling used cars, where it's not well known for someone to take an ethical stand," and fired people who turned back clocks and used dodgy parts.

Hyman became one of a handful of non-whites to study at his university. He then worked for Arthur Andersen in South Africa until he won an 18-month exchange with Ernst & Young, which brought him to Britain. After four months, the accountancy firm gave the hard-working young man a permanent job. His switch to Serco in 1994 felt like a coming home and he tells a story of the boss's wife helping out when his own wife had a disabling migraine.

Serco's share price has performed solidly rather than spectacularly and this may be because of its emphasis on such touchy-feely sentiments. Hyman admits: "This may not go down very well but I put people first, then customers, then shareholders. If [our] people are happy, everyone else is happy."

The company flouts corporate governance norms since the former chief executive, Kevin Beeston, is now executive chairman. He deals with governmental relations while Hyman focuses on customers. "We've never structured it to fit the mould. We do what's right for the business and over time the roles have evolved."

Hyman's life changed when he found himself in the World Trade Centre on 9/11. He does not want much of this "traumatic" experience to appear in print but admits it made him, a workaholic who sleeps for only a few hours a night, want to spend more time with his family. "I decided to do things that previously I'd thought a bit naff, like taking my wife's birthday off to go shopping. I mean, how naff is that?"

It is hard to imagine him letting up much. On his almost barren desk is a diary which he analyses every month with the help of a secretary to make sure it fits his needs. "I can be anal about this stuff. I want to spend about 30% of my time on historic stuff and 70% on pro-active stuff, getting new business, that sort of stuff."

His secretary points to her own desk, buried in paperwork, and says. "He works me like a slave." Then she laughs and everyone seems quite happy again.

Hyman on Hyman
What are your best and worst personality traits?

I make my mind up pretty quickly, although my wife says this makes me too judgmental. And I am extremely competitive - I can't even let my seven-year-old win at go-karting.

What was your worst business decision?
Using all my savings to buy a takeaway place on a beach in South Africa in my last year at college.

Who inspires you?
My father, a truly self-made man, and Richard White, former chairman of Serco.

How do you relax?
Motor racing and holidays. Favourite places are Antigua and Switzerland for skiing.

What books do you enjoy reading?
Technical motor-racing stuff and biographies, anything from Jack Welch [former General Electric chief executive] to Mandela to Michael Schumacher.

Source: guardian.co.uk

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=9412

Is this a strange story and a strange video or what
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:35:43 am by Im2Sexy4MyPants » Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 09:47:39 am »

A company called SERCO (and it sounds like its the same one) have been in NZ for a while.  I'm thinking back over 20 years.   They took over work that the Ministry of Works used to do.  I only knew them through the fire protection industry because they looked after state schools and government buildings   
Report Spam   Logged
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:37:07 am »

I don't know if you saw the  movie below but they are into everything all over the world.

They even get rid of the stockpiles of old British Nukes  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
ssweetpea

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 12:53:57 pm »

A company called SERCO (and it sounds like its the same one) have been in NZ for a while.  I'm thinking back over 20 years.   They took over work that the Ministry of Works used to do.  I only knew them through the fire protection industry because they looked after state schools and government buildings   

Yes, they used to maintain the sewer pump near us for the council before watercare took over.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 02:04:26 pm »

It will be the same group

Serco Group plc is a business services company based in Hook, North Hampshire in the United Kingdom.

Serco was founded in 1929 as a United Kingdom division of the Radio Corporation of America
and initially provided services to the cinema industry.

It changed its name to Serco in 1987 and has been a London Stock Exchange listed company since 1988.
Report Spam   Logged

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 02:20:50 pm »

If I recall correctly, SERCO and the address of Waiouru went together.    Because the Army base was there ? not sure.
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 02:57:00 pm »

SERCO was contracted by the NZDF for the upkeep of its camps and bases. About 8 years ago their contract was revoked.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 01:11:53 pm »

Yet another “F” for FAIL for the Nats and their dumb ideological policies.

Notice how, instead of telling the truth, Anne Tolley spouts SPIN in an attempt to hide the Nats' failure!

Typical Nats way of doing things!!

Prison operator fails to meet targets

The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Friday, 06 July 2012

ANNE TOLLEY: The Corrections Minister expects Serco to continue to make progress.
ANNE TOLLEY: The Corrections Minister expects Serco
to continue to make progress.

CORRECTIONS MINISTER Anne Tolley says private prison operator Serco has made decent progress in its first year, despite the company failing to meet half of its performance targets.

A report released yesterday on Serco's performance revealed three inmates were wrongly released, one escaped and three were wrongfully detained.

Of 37 targets Serco was to meet in the nine months to April half weren't met.

Tolley said she expected the company to continue to make progress.

As a private company, Serco could be fined or have payment withheld due to performance issues, she said.

"This is a very demanding contract, and Corrections are working closely with Serco to get it right."

Corrections' Deputy Chief Executive Christine Stevenson said Serco's performance at Mount Eden Correctional Facility (MECF) was steady or strengthening.

"There are a number of innovations Serco has put in place at MECF that the Department is looking at closely to assess the potential for expansion into publicly managed prisons."

Corrections said Serco had accepted responsibility for one wrongful release. A final decision on whether they would be fined on a second wrongful release had not yet been made.

Corrections are to issue a performance notice for a third wrongful release that occurred in March.

During its first quarter running the prison Serco was fined $150,000 after prisoner Aaron Forden escaped in February. Forden, dubbed "Houdini" escaped along with another inmate who was caught almost immediately.

The firm was also fined $25,000 for releasing one inmate early and $50,000 for failing to file progress reports.

The prison was applauded for clamping down on drugs, returning one of the lowest rates of positive drugs tests nationwide and for eliminating incidents of self harm.

In March the Government announced Serco would also run a new 960-bed jail being built in South Auckland.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/politics/7230054/Prison-operator-fails-to-meet-targets
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 02:40:30 pm »

so KTJ the " state " run prisons are performing at 100% and meeting all targets set ?

how many were wrongly released have escaped and been wrongfully detained ?

mmmmmmm that woold put a cat amongst the pigeons now wouldnt it .....

which prison recently had problems with two of its " guests " holed up in a tower making demands ....

which prison had staff before the courts recently .....

seems to me we hear more about " state" run prison cock ups than we do about SERCO ....

but hey any half truth that you can dig up about the Nats makes your day doesnt it you hypocrite ?

Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 03:11:38 pm »

so KTJ the " state " run prisons are performing at 100% and meeting all targets set ?

how many were wrongly released have escaped and been wrongfully detained ?

mmmmmmm that woold put a cat amongst the pigeons now wouldnt it .....

which prison recently had problems with two of its " guests " holed up in a tower making demands ....

which prison had staff before the courts recently .....

seems to me we hear more about " state" run prison cock ups than we do about SERCO ....

but hey any half truth that you can dig up about the Nats makes your day doesnt it you hypocrite ?

Careful Newt, don't push the corrupt administrator too much or else he'll create a forum just for you to post in all because he personally doesn't like what you have to say.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 03:13:57 pm »

Did I just hear the faint sound of a flea farting? 
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 04:36:24 pm »

Did I just hear the faint sound of a flea farting? 

must have been you ......

farting makes a change KTJ from the diarrhea you post on this board ....
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 05:05:49 pm »

tell me KTJ was Rimutaka Prison fined by the govt after 2 of its staff were bashed and one suffered serious head injuries ....

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/officer-seriously-injured-in-prison-assault-4906602

and btw that guy will be off work for months .....

Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 07:08:09 pm »

Wellington rail decision 'another Serco in the making'

New Zealand First is warning that a 15-year contract to a French/Korean consortium to run Wellington’s commuter rail services will be another outsourcing disaster.

"Wellington Regional Council’s decision is incomprehensible," says New Zealand First Leader and Member of Parliament for Northland Rt Hon Winston Peters.

"First, Serco’s 25-year contract to run Wiri Prison and now a 15-year contract for transport giant Transdev to run commuter rail in Wellington. Such lengthy contracts are stealth privatisation with highly dubious benefits. Transdev is also shortlisted for Auckland’s commuter rail service contract.

"Profits are taken out of New Zealand when these contracts are outsourced to large overseas companies. After the Serco disaster, how can we be sure that Transdev will properly invest in staff levels and rail maintenance if that means less profit?

"There is another agenda here and that is a government one to kill off KiwiRail. We ought to be backing rail not carving it up and hocking it off," says Mr Peters.

http://www.voxy.co.nz/politics/wellington-rail-decision-another-serco-making/5/240337
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
reality
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 07:33:49 pm »

"There is another agenda here and that is a government one to kill off KiwiRail. We ought to be backing rail not carving it up and hocking it off," says Mr Peters."

.....but I thought this was a council decision.....not a govt decision...Peters is getting old and obviously confused Roll Eyes
....unless of course there is a conspiracy ...
..perhaps it is just the council trying to do the best for their employers...the ratepayers  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: