Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 01:14:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Run that past me again?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Run that past me again?  (Read 220 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: December 23, 2010, 01:22:40 pm »

About three years ago, I was walking along Murphy Street in Wellington one day and stopped across the road from the US Embassy, pulled my camera out, and started taking a few photographs of their “paranoia castle” (no other embassy in Wellington goes so over-the-top in fortress mentality, although the Pommy and Oz high commissions do tend in that direction a bit). There were three US Marines guarding the main entrance gate, a corporal and two ordinary marines. I could see they were getting rather agitated about me taking photographs. The corporal walked across Murphy Street and asked me what I was doing. I told him I was standing on a public footpath on a public street taking photographs. He asked me to stop taking photographs of the US embassy. I told him we are free to take photographs of whatever we like in New Zealand. With that he turned and walked back across the road and disappeared into the gatehouse. I carried on walking down Murphy Street and into Mulgrave Street. Not long before reaching Thorndon Quay, a grey Ford sedan drove down the road, then slowed down and crawled past me. I could see some burley “suits” in the car which I presumed were police diplomatic protection squad members. I raised the camera and took a couple of photographs of them, whereapon they turned their heads away and the car floored it around the corner into Thorndon Quay and disappeared. I guess I must have upset both the US Marines AND the diplomatic protection squad, eh?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: