Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 08:27:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Whanganui Mayor Michael Laws in the news again

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whanganui Mayor Michael Laws in the news again  (Read 2915 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« on: August 14, 2010, 11:04:26 pm »

Michael Laws' political rivals implicated
By DAVID GADD -
Stuff
20:36 14/08/2010

The former prostitute at the centre of Michael Laws' drama this week has today claimed she has been used by his political rivals.

Jacqueline Sperling, 39, is talking down the nature of the texts the Whanganui mayor sent her, saying: "There is nothing particularly salacious in the texts I have.  Yes, some were intimate, but they don't really qualify as sex-texts."

Yesterday Michael Laws was describing them as "salacious" and "intimate" after outing himself over his relationship with Sperling, reading a personal statement on RadioLive because he believed a newspaper was about to publish them.

Sperling issued her own statement today and offered up a part apology for her part in the admissions, saying critics of Laws - "people who loathed Michael" - had fed her information to blacken his reputation.

"This information suggested Michael had not been completely honest with me. Such was the volume of information, I came to believe some of it and ended all association with him.

"I have since discovered that most of this information is false and clearly had malicious intent," Sperling said. 

Sperling, also known as Jackie Baillie, is a former P-addict and prostitute. She said she had reformed and was now a Christian who had put her $3000-a-day methamphetamine habit behind her. She was a former Howick housewife whose whole life "became consumed with getting the drug".

Laws' statement, which did not identify the woman, said her life experiences were "completely different to my own". "I was intoxicated by such an unusual background and flattered by her attentions.

"We met only twice. We have shared texts and messages of an intimate nature connected to the physical attraction that seemed to exist between us.

"As a single man I entered a relationship that was unwise. I did not seek to cause distress, but I have. I particularly wish to apologise to my family. They are affected by my actions and I have been foolish in my private life."

He later described the text messages as "salacious". "I am not a saint. I make mistakes. However, my private life is irrelevant to the discharge of my public responsibilities."

Laws gave interviews on Radio Live in Auckland yesterday, then was interviewed in an Auckland restaurant. He blamed the fiasco on political opposition: "The release of this information is an attempt to defame me ... There is a political agenda at play."

Laws manager at Radio Live, Mitch Harris, told the Dominion Post that Laws "thought he was being blackmailed and some private messages were going to be made public and he decided to jump in. He thought that he should front-foot it

* FOR MORE DETAILS SEE YOUR SUNDAY STAR TIMES TOMORROW

Personal statement from Jacqueline Sperling

I am writing this statement to outline the circumstances behind the stories of the past 24 hours relating to my relationship with Michael Laws.

I can confirm that Michael and I met twice as a result of a non romantic discussion upon drug prohibition and addict treatment. I had a unique perspective given a past addiction and my subsequent recovery. I have been very open about the depredations that P addiction causes, and the need to affirm each day as a path to a clean and contributory life.

Neither of us expected to establish the brief relationship we did.

Obviously I took an interest in Michael's career and entered numerous Facebook discussions relating to his activities.

As a consequence I was introduced to a group of people who loathed Michael and were quite happy to criticise him at every opportunity. Naturally, I defended him on occasion.

As a result, certain people contacted me with information relating to Michael's private life. This information suggested that Michael had not been completely honest with me. Such was the volume of information, I came to believe some of it and ended all association with him.

I have since discovered that most of this information is false and clearly had malicious intent.

I actually repeated some of these rumours on my Facebook page out of anger. I did not properly appreciate that a Facebook posting is essentially a public posting, rather than just to the friends you are intending to send the message to.

It was lifted from my FB page by certain people and given a twist to directly criticise Michael and some other innocent people. I apologise for providing that opportunity.

As I understand some people reinterpreted what I wrote to suggest some future revenge on my part - the release of private text and e-mails between Michael and myself. I have now examined them and there is nothing particularly salacious in the texts I still have.  Yes, some were intimate but they don't really qualify as "sex-texts".

I want to make it plain that I have never, and will never, release private correspondencewith anyone  into the public arena.

As far as I am concerned, this issue is now over although I understand that legal action is being considered by another party.

I will not be making any further comment than is contained in this statement.

Saturday 14 August, 2010
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4025481/Michael-Laws-political-rivals-implicated
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: