Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 04:33:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Tuhoe Nation

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuhoe Nation  (Read 953 times)
ballasted moth
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: April 20, 2010, 08:10:52 am »

It is truly bizarre how more Maori dont vote National as the Nats are more generous at giving Maori stuff
The latest is the idea Tuhoe will control Urewera national park as a separate nation an immediately failed state which will seek ongoing aid from its neighbour NZ
Pity it wasnt cut lose and let the losers flounder
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:22:52 am »

It is truly bizarre how more Maori dont vote National as the Nats are more generous at giving Maori stuff

Actually a lot of Maaori do, and have done in the past, in our area, they almost out number the european National voters!
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:41:49 am »

It is always a bit of a worry when I agree with you BM but I had exactly the same thought.

For those who didn't watch TV3 news last night;

Tuhoe deal - first step to self-rule?
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 5:11p.m.
By Patrick Gower

The Government is on the verge of offering the Tuhoe tribe a treaty settlement that could be as groundbreaking as it is controversial.

Tuhoe is hoping it will mean total control of the Urewera National Park, and start the tribe on the way to self-rule and becoming a separate nation.

But the Government is sensitive about just how far it will go.

The Ureweras have long been home to the Tuhoe, and ownership has been with the Government. But that may be about to change, with treaty negotiations under way where Tuhoe could get ownership and control of the national park.

Government sources say handing over Tuhoe ownership of the park is a definite possibility and would be the biggest deal of its kind. The sticking point would be Tuhoe's desire for total control, with the Government preferring co-management with the Department of Conservation.

And Tuhoe could be in for something much more controversial. Tuhoe sources have told us the first steps towards separate Tuhoe rule are also on the table under what's called 'mana motuhake'. The tribe wants Government functions like schools, health and welfare handed over to Tuhoe, with other functions - even tax - devolved over time.

The Tuhoe deal was considered by ministers today with negotiations based on three pillars: ownership and or control of the Ureweras - public access would be guaranteed; mana motuhake - self-rule; and money - around $100 million in compensation.

Tuhoe leaders did not want to come on camera, preferring to wait for the Government's official response.

High-profile Tuhoe member Tame Iti said New Zealanders had nothing to fear from the deal.

Tuhoe's tensions with the Crown date back 170 years to sweeping land confiscation and military attacks.

We could know later this year whether Tuhoe is any closer to getting the resolution it wants.

3 News [url][http://www.3news.co.nz/Tuhoe-deal---first-step-to-self-rule/tabid/419/articleID/151788/Default.aspx/url]

I bet they still want to get their Dole and DPB money for the rest of NZ though.

An interesting side note is that Tuhoe didn't sign the treaty.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 08:52:08 am »

Does this mean we will need a special  passport to travel through there...and will we pay a toll  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
ballasted moth

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:01:36 am »

Of course and they will have to pay to visit NZ and in both cases people can be refused entry
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
guest49
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 10:22:16 am »

Does this mean we will need a special  passport to travel through there...and will we pay a toll  Grin

Why not?

Before the Foreshore and Seabed Act was passed by Labour, certain East Coast Maori were monstering recreational fishermen and demanding a "levy" on what they had caught, so a levy on travelling through the Ureweras will hardly be new.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 12:21:57 pm »

Of course and they will have to pay to visit NZ and in both cases people can be refused entry

Tama Iti is my first pick for non-residency of NZ an non-travel outside Uruwera. 

But I'm picking he'll just claim his white half for the right of travel then.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 12:28:32 pm »

SP is right that they never signed the treaty.  They were also persecuted for crimes not commited and huge amounts of land taken as penalty for those same non-crimes.  This is what they are asking to be addressed.

I'm thinking that to get what is right they are asking for far far more than required, just so when they don't get it all, but do get what they want, everyone feels they won.

My daughter (youngest) was all for it, until she realised it would be handled exactly the same way they ownership of Waikaremoana is handled.  The lease is paid every 5 years but only a select few of the iwi see any funds.

She just frowned at the comment about staying on Tuhoe land.  "Lucky mum's a pakeha then eh?"  (She doesn't 'do' camping or roughing it in any variation.)
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 12:56:08 pm »

It is not widely traveled country so income from travellers would be slim pickings. Far more lucrative would the the electricity generated by Lake Waikaremoana.

There are small towns in the Urewera. Ruatahuna, Tuai and I suppose that Murupara may be as well as Taneatua and Opotiki, maybe even Whakatane. I am not quite sure of the tribal bounderies so feel free to correct me.

DT is right, very few of those who live outside of the iwi land see any of the settlment money at all.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 01:03:08 pm »

Due to the fact that Tuhoe never signed the Treaty of Waitangi and therefore never agreed to cede authority to the crown, I guess Tuhoe would be within their rights to consider that they had been invaded and therefore been occupied by those invaders for many, many generations.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 02:01:20 pm »

I'll be right, my wiffe's got a smidge of Tuhoe in her!
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
Maurice

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 02:04:04 pm »

The latest is the idea Tuhoe will control Urewera national park as a separate nation an immediately failed state which will seek ongoing aid from its neighbour NZ
Pity it wasnt cut lose and let the losers flounder

The Nats are just following British tradition. After all, the Brits gave the Maori lots of things. Smallpox, scarlet fever, alcoholism, venereal disease......
Report Spam   Logged

"Some people see things as they are and ask why.
I dream things that never were and ask why not - Robert Kennedy
Maurice

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 02:05:10 pm »

I have no Tuhoe blood, but have fished in Lake Waikaremoana, will that do?
Report Spam   Logged

AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 02:07:16 pm »

I have no Tuhoe blood, but have fished in Lake Waikaremoana, will that do?

Nope, you''ll just have to be happy with being a Sasannach!
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
Maurice

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 02:13:14 pm »

I'm Jewish. Does that still make me a Sassawhateveritis?
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 02:18:41 pm »

you'd probably have to pay double 
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 02:19:22 pm »

Some were yep, Keys mother was as she was born there, from memory! Some Sassanach were/ are Catholic, some were/ are Anglican!
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 02:20:02 pm »

you'd probably have to pay double 

Thats what my wife said LOL
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
Maurice

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 02:26:17 pm »

Who was the Maori entertainer whose favourite joke was to respond to any woman who said "I have a little Maori in me" with "Well, you don't yet, but if you come into the bedroom it could be arranged"?
Report Spam   Logged

Maurice

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 02:28:33 pm »

Some were yep, Keys mother was as she was born there, from memory! Some Sassanach were/ are Catholic, some were/ are Anglican!

Gee, I'm a Jewish Sassanach! You've made my day, thanks AnFaolchudubh!

Nice to play with you but have to go now. Some other time, perhaps.
Report Spam   Logged

AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 01:38:54 pm »

Nice to play with you but have to go now. Some other time, perhaps.

Thats fine, I'll be here, listening to the magpies squawking!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:59:51 pm by AnFaolchudubh » Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 01:41:52 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 05:13:11 pm »

Iwi wants to run Te Urewera National Park

By YVONNE TAHANA - The New Zealand Herald | 4:00AM - Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hikers pause at Lake Waikaremoana, one of the highlights of Te Urewera National Park. — Photo: Amos Chapple.
Hikers pause at Lake Waikaremoana, one of the highlights of Te Urewera National Park.
 — Photo: Amos Chapple.

Tuhoe have asked that they, not the Department of Conservation (DoC), manage Te Urewera National Park if the Crown passes ownership of the 212,672ha region to the tribe under a Treaty settlement.

It has been in negotiations with the Government for two years, and is still to receive a final Crown offer but has always been clear that ownership of the park is foremost on its agenda.

Chief negotiator Tamati Kruger told the Herald yesterday that Tuhoe had given assurances to the Government that access to some of New Zealand's most rugged and beautiful tracks, Lakes Waikaremoana and Waikareiti "would not be compromised in any way".

"The public access that is available now will not be limited or diminished in any way — what changes is that Tuhoe now owns that area but the public's interests does not change."

However, in a unique settlement feature, Tuhoe had asked the Crown to reconsider DoC's management role at Te Urewera.

The tribe wants to manage the land solely, however, it had put a proposal to government that the tribe and Crown work for up to a decade together co-managing the park during a transition phase.

At the end of that time, DoC and Tuhoe might agree to extend the relationship or terminate it.

Mr Kruger said the tribe would take financial responsibility post-transition. Whether user charges which are currently paid to DoC transfer to the iwi is something that would be worked on during transition.

"We will be talking about things like licences.

"At the moment, you have to get permission from DoC to land a helicopter in Te Urewera and there are charges. During that transition period Tuhoe would be looking at the way DoC do things including their procedures and systems and whether [the tribe] would adopt or change things," Mr Kruger said.

A spokesman for Treaty Negotiations Minister Christopher Finlayson would not comment on the proposal's detail but said parties put up all kinds of proposals which may or may not make it to a final agreement.

"The Government has not made an offer to Tuhoe yet, and the minister does not comment on the details of negotiations. However, the Prime Minister made it clear that in negotiations the Government concentrates on the rights of all New Zealanders, not just the parties it is negotiating with."

Conservation Minister Kate Wilkinson said because negotiations were ongoing there was little she could say.

"But regardless of what final settlement is reached, the public will always have access to their National Parks."

The Department of Conservation also declined to comment.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10639994

Tuhoe aim for other tribes' $170m benchmark

By YVONNE TAHANA - The New Zealand Herald | 4:00AM - Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Te Urewera National Park. — Photo: NZ Herald.
Te Urewera National Park. — Photo: NZ Herald.

A Treaty deal for Ngai Tuhoe could happen only if its land confiscation is recognised on a par with Tainui and Ngai Tahu's $170 million settlements — the tribe couldn't live with anything less.

Tainui and Ngai Tahu received $170 million each during the 1990s. No individual iwi since have negotiated sums approaching that figure.

In briefing newsletters and updates to tribal members, the body negotiating with the Crown — Te Kotahi a Tuhoe — said an offer of $135 million had been made.

However, Tuhoe's grievances which deal with Te Urewera National Park are worth more than that, reports say.

"Ngai Tuhoe consider that they have suffered raupatu [land confiscation] on the same scale as that of Waikato-Tainui and Ngai Tahu as Ngai Tuhoe also lost all their lands through raupatu.

"Unless the same level of quantum is reached [$170 million], Ngai Tuhoe will not be able to reach agreement with the Crown."

Tuhoe papers go on to criticise the valuation method the Government uses in settlements, calling it a "broken model".

A Waitangi Tribunal report last year said 24,147ha of land was confiscated during the 19th century — an act the Crown has accepted was unjust and excessive.

Complicating matters is that $54 million could be deducted from the current offer because the Government's position is that the tribe has already been partly paid for its settlement as a member of the Treelords deal which dealt with the Kaingaroa Forest.

A spokeswoman for Te Kotahi a Tuhoe said it had no comment to make as the Government's final offer was not yet before it.

Treaty Negotiations Minister Christopher Finlayson's offer to Tuhoe was to be discussed by the Cabinet on Monday, but that did not happen.

Mr Finlayson would not say when the issue would go before the Cabinet again and he would not "conduct negotiations through the media".

While not directly mentioning the Tainui and Ngai Tahu deals, he said:

"As far as the impact of raupatu — the settlement negotiated for each claimant group must be individually negotiated to reflect its particular circumstances and historical grievances, both with regard to commercial and cultural redress."

Because the negotiations have included talks around self-government/mana motuhake and what that might look like, the Treaty Negotiations Minister and the Prime Minister will be at pains to stage-manage how this settlement is perceived by the public.

What Tuhoe want:

• A form of self-government or mana motuhake.

• Some government functions — health, building, education, local government and environment devolved to it.

• Ownership of the 212,672ha Te Urewera National Park.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10639752

Historian's case for Tuhoe independence

By CATHERINE MASTERS - Weekend Herald | 4:00AM - Saturday, November 28, 2009

A trip to the Ureweras sparked Dame Judith Binney's interest in Tuhoe. — Photo: Dean Purcell.
A trip to the Ureweras sparked Dame Judith Binney's
interest in Tuhoe. — Photo: Dean Purcell.

Once, not such a long time ago, in colonial New Zealand, Tuhoe were permitted to rule themselves within the boundaries of what was left of their land.

It was the late 1800s and they were the only tribe to gain legal autonomy from the Pakeha Government. For a short while. Then it was taken away.

The desire for autonomy never dulled though, nor was ceded by the Urewera mountain people; and today it is on the table again with John Key's Government, as part of a singular constitutional claim.

In a powerful new book on Tuhoe, eminent New Zealand historian Dame Judith Binney argues for that autonomy to be restored.

The time has long come, Binney told the Weekend Herald. She believes there is nothing to be feared from a separate Tuhoe nation operating within New Zealand and that the tribe has a strong case.

Such precedents exist around the world, she says, from Scotland and Ireland to Catalonia, which has been restored as an autonomous area within Spain, and the large Inuit state of Nunavut in Canada.

Her book makes plain that Tuhoe never wavered in their efforts to retain self-governance, from the moment colonists first began taking their land.

Her book Encircled Lands: Te Urewera, 1820-1921 is a painful, yet compelling, account of the treacherous means used to strip them of their land and subjugate them to Pakeha rule.

The book exposes in meticulous detail, gleaned from historical records and oral histories, the scale of the hurt inflicted by a colonial state hungry for farm land, and driven by the mistaken belief there was gold in the Ureweras.

Within the book's 600-odd pages Binney describes how every method possible — confiscation, war, poverty, sickness, starvation, fraud and ever-inventive legal mechanisms — was relentlessly exploited to take more land.

Just one of the many so-called legal methods used was to insist on surveying land, against Tuhoe wishes, only to charge huge sums for the survey then take the debt back in acres and acres of the best land.

Encircled Lands also rewrites the perception of little-known Tuhoe leaders of the day.

Once considered savages to be feared, Binney says as the men spoke to her unexpectedly across the pages of early records and she got to know them, she found the opposite was true.

She came to admire them as leaders of integrity and determination, men to whom sovereignty was everything.

She remains in awe of them, writing in her dedication these leaders "chose to walk the long paths to peace."

Aside from the nature of the land-grab, which is shocking in its relentlessness and for the poverty which followed, the book may shock in other ways.

Binney also reveals little-known historical evidence which casts doubt on the motivations of one of Maoridom's heroes, lawyer and early politician Sir Apirana Ngata, of Ngati Porou, who Binney says was responsible in the 1920s for taking even more land from Tuhoe, knowing full well their suffering.

The 69-year-old Auckland University emeritus professor anticipates strong reactions to her book from some quarters, but does not shy away from what she has written, hinting in her preface that the narrative she offers "will surprise some readers".

At her home in Mount Eden, Binney explains how her relationship with Tuhoe began in the 1970s.

She knew little of the history when she and some friends set out to walk through the remote Urewera forest to a little place called Maungapohatu they had found on a map.

When they got there they found a collection of derelict buildings, very few people and a feeling they were intruding.

A shiver went up her spine. She could feel the history — a strong sense that here was "a very present past."

She was hooked. Binney had arrived at Tuhoe's sacred mountain where the prophet Rua Kenana, a controversial figure even within Tuhoe, built a thriving religious community in the early 1900s as he tried to restore mana motuhake to his people.

She went away to learn more and has since written a book on Kenana, and another on guerilla rebel Te Kooti, who was to figure so much in Tuhoe's fortunes as he hid out in the Ureweras (she won the 1996 Montana NZ Book of the Year with that book).

Binney says she met remarkable people, including Kenana's children, and gradually uncovered "an astonishing history of pain". She quietly stresses the word "astonishing".

Later, she would be asked to write a report for the Crown Forestry Rental Trust for the Waitangi Tribunal (Tuhoe was this year awarded $66 million in back-dated rental from Kaingaroa Forest interests as part of the "Treelords deal") and it is from that report this book has emerged.

It has been rewritten to be accessible, she hopes, to anyone who is interested in a little-known slice of this country's history and a book 10 years in the making.

In order to understand Tuhoe now, you need to understand the history of their suffering, she says.

In 1866, much of their fertile land was seized by the Crown, cutting off their access to the coast.

A still-hated "confiscation line" was drawn on a map as vast amounts of Bay of Plenty land was carved up for settlers.

Tuhoe had been wrongly accused of being involved in the killings of missionary Carl Volkner and Government agent James Fulloon, and the confiscation of land was said to be punishment for this, but really the land was taken for settlers, says Binney.

War followed the 1866 confiscation. Tuhoe withdrew behind a defended aukati (border) and troops went into the Ureweras inflicting what is known as the scorched earth policy.

They burnt homes and crops — and sometimes their accounts are gleeful.

They forced starvation on people and killed: "They wanted to destroy them (Tuhoe)," Binney says bluntly.

"I mean, I don't know if they wanted to exterminate them, I wouldn't put it like that at all, I think that would be overstating it.

"But there is so much evidence here. They are a small group of people, they're treated with suspicion, they're treated as the savage other from a remote land and this remote land will shelter other people on the run so it's axiomatically of dangerous people.

"That's the starting premise and almost everything swings from that — that these people are dangerous, they've got to be brought under control, pulled out of their mountains.

"In the middle of their fighting everyone had to come out of the mountains. Just stop and think of that for a moment.

"These are people who have been living there since the very beginning and they're told they have to come down out of the mountains and live in a concentration camp or under the supervision of somebody else.

"I don't know anywhere else in New Zealand where it was done like that."

At the end of the fighting, in 1872 a peace was agreed.

Tuhoe understood from the peace agreement they would be autonomous within their rohe potae, a term which likened their encircling boundaries to a hat (potae) placed over a map, thus a tapu covering for the land.

A meeting was held, boundaries worked out and a governing council of 70 chiefs, called Te Whitu Tekau, set up.

They then wrote to tell the then Native Minister, Donald McLean, of their decision.

The tribe had been united and their work was "to carry on the work of this bird of peace and quietness".

They also informed that "the things that were rejected from these boundaries are roads, leasing and selling land."

McLean allowed Te Whitu Tekau to stand and for 20 years Te Whitu Tekau governed, though the Crown constantly attempted to whittle their control away by other means.

Even the New Zealand Herald supported Tuhoe autonomy. In an editorial when then-governor Lord Onslow was due to visit in 1891 the paper wrote that the Queen's writ had never run through the Urewera country and that the country had gone on for 20 years without anybody caring much about the matter.

"Of late they have been perfectly quiet, contenting themselves with preventing all access to their country, and especially keeping an eye on all surveyors, gold prospectors and those who wander about on the ‘ragged edges of civilisation’."

All the people wanted to do was be allowed to live in peace on the lands of their fathers, said the Herald, and "as for the Queen's writ, they carry out a better system of self-government than we could give them."

Binney describes the Herald's recognition of Tuhoe's rohe potae as a "breath of fresh air."

In 1896 their autonomy was enshrined in law by the Premier, Richard Seddon, who instigated the Urewera District Native Reserve Act, making the Urewera the only autonomous tribal district that was recognised in law.

It was not to last. This experiment in co-existing legal authorities would be whittled away between 1909 and 1921, says Binney.

There were two reasons. One was a belief an internal self-government could not be permitted, and the other was the determination of successive governments to acquire the ownership of the rest of the Urewera land, which was being eyed not just because of the belief there was gold and minerals, but for tourism.

It is around this time that Sir Apirana Ngata became one of those who played a big part in tearing open the rest of the Ureweras, says Binney.

He and James Carroll, another Maori member of the Liberal Government, implemented that Government's policies for opening up areas of Maori land for settlement.

They were "economic modernisers," says Binney, "working within a framework of the Liberal party's ideology of land development".

But she suspects more was behind their targeting of Tuhoe.

"Both men came from families steeped in histories of recent military conflict with Tuhoe; their sympathies did not lie with the Urewera people on whose behalf they were often presumed to be negotiating, " she writes in the book.

She tells me she was astonished to find out what she did. "I mean, this runs counter to anything that's ever been written about Ngata."

He had been raised in the household of Ropata Wahawaha of Ngati Porou who had led the Ngati Porou contingent in the Tuhoe invasions.

She suspects — but qualifies that she is not sure — that his actions came close to revenge.

He moved people off the land, divided land up and told them they owed, for example, 7000 pounds for the lien on a survey, which they could not pay and which was taken as 29,000 acres.

"In 1922, 68,000 acres of land was taken by Ngata's demand for things that he said they had to pay. That's on top of what the Crown claimed it owned and had bought, which was more than two thirds of the reserve.

"Now, that's Ngata acting as the agent for Tuhoe in 1922. Come on, I think it's terrible."

Ngata was young and very bright, with clear ideas about getting Maori economically activated in the modern world, she says, and he became very important to Maori.

"But it still doesn't explain why he drives Tuhoe from their land in the way that he did, what was left of their land."

Since those days, Tuhoe have again been persecuted by the Government, Binney believes.

In 2007 armed police lined up along the confiscation line, the defended border of the first aukati, when they conducted the so-called terror raids, for which she says no evidence has been revealed.

But by lining up here the police actually endorsed the existence of the rohe potae, she writes in the book.

"The line is a frontier again: this is not an illusion."

Judith Binney's “Encircled Lands: Te Urewera, 1820-1921” (Bridget Williams Books, $79.99) is in book stores on Monday.

DEDICATED TO LONG-GONE LEADERS

Dame Judith Binney says the history books have it wrong about some of the early Tuhoe leaders to whom she dedicates her book, including Te Whenuanui I, Te Makarini Tamarau, Erueti Tamaikoha and Kereru Te Pukenui.

Erueti Tamaikoha, for example, has been described as a ferocious warrior, a savage and a cannibal but Binney says he was a man of integrity.

"I got the sense of this huge man with commitment and a wonderful spirit."

"People liked him. Everybody knew him and liked him and some of the Pakeha who were terrified of him who got to know him always spoke well of him after the wars."

There were good reasons for the fights he was involved in, she says. They began after the confiscation of vast amount of land in 1866 and coincided with the announcement of the aukati (defended border) a year later.

Binney says sometimes her eyes "stood out on stalks" at what she was reading in the research for her book. Two examples were what she calls the scandals of Waiohau 1B and Tahora 2, large blocks of prime land obtained by fraud.

The loss of Waiohau 1B led to the people of the Te Houhi settlement, who had been peacefully occupying their land, being evicted. Tahora 2 was obtained through an unauthorised private survey which became a Government-enforced lien placed over Tuhoe lands.

When in April 1889 the land court ruled the owners must pay the survey costs, Tamaikoha called the ruling an "act of oppression."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10612094&pnum=0

Tuhoe discusses areas of self-government

By YVONNE TAHANA - The New Zealand Herald | 4:00AM - Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Possible areas of Government responsibility which could be transferred to Tuhoe have been outlined as both the Crown and tribe try to keep a handle on delicate negotiations.

About 40 iwi members and the tribal body mandated to drive negotiations, Te Kotahi a Tuhoe, met the Crown to hear its first offer of settlement in Wellington yesterday.

Keen to keep a lid on public opinion, neither side, including Treaty Negotiations Minister Christopher Finlayson, would comment publicly.

However, a Tuhoe newsletter to iwi members outlined a situation where the tribe is making headway on mana motuhake or self-government issues, one of two pillars negotiations rest on.

Te Maunga Express reported that Government functions which could be devolved to Tuhoe included health, building, education, local government and the environment.

Other functions such as tourism, justice, welfare, culture, arts and heritage, taxation and Maori development have been classified "as more complex due to the interconnectedness of public function".

However, "both negotiating parties acknowledge these functions are fundamental to a self-governing iwi".

Another key issue is Tuhoe's desire to own the 212,672ha Te Urewera National Park.

Iwi have told negotiators that nothing less than ownership will be a satisfactory outcome.

But in terms of national assets, the Crown has never bent so far, nor is it clear that it will. In Ngai Tahu's settlement, the tribe received Mount Cook's title before the tribe gifted it back to the Crown, while Tainui has co-management rights over the Waikato River but not ownership.

However, the Express noted the Crown and the Department of Conservation had "met internally to clearly establish the legal and political issues they face for a transferred relationship". Yesterday, Conservation Minister Tim Groser would not comment.

In other iwi communications, Te Kotahi a Tuhoe trustee Iharaira Temara posted messages on naumaiplace.com urging tribal members to consider the offer as a starting point. There was still much bartering to be done, he said.

"It should also be mentioned, the ‘first offer’ from the Crown is not normally an attractive offer, and in most cases reflects their lowest or minimum offer to iwi, however ... if necessary, we will have recourse to negotiate further with the Crown for a better offer."

A faction of Tuhoe — Te Umutaoroa — which does not want Te Kotahi to negotiate on its behalf, met Maori Party co-leader Tariana Turia and Waiariki MP Te Ururoa Flavell yesterday in Waiohau.

The group later said it felt "positive" that progress was being made.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10590196
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 05:18:34 pm »

I've got a copy of Dame Judith Binney's book Encircled Lands: Te Urewera, 1820-1921 sitting in one of my bookcases.

I purchased and read it last year when it was released and it is an excellent, well-researched tome.

However, I suspect racists & rednecks would choke on the contents of the book, because the TRUTH would disturb their closed, bigoted minds!
Report Spam   Logged

Crusader
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 06:05:23 pm »

I've got no problem with them wanting to establish their own nation. If fact I wish them all the best. However I wouldn't expect NZ taxpayers to pay for any government services for another nation.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: