Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 10:56:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

TIMES "Person" of the year

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TIMES "Person" of the year  (Read 116 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: November 27, 2012, 02:09:42 pm »

One year and 566 million kilometres later, the Curiosity rover celebrated its birthday with a TIME Person of the Year nomination.

Safely tucked inside a Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft, Curiosity left for the Red Planet on November 26, 2011. TIME notes that it was the dramatic August 5 landing - dubbed the "seven minutes of terror" - that drew the world's attention, perhaps earning it the prestigious nod.

But the Curiosity rover's accomplishments stretch far beyond its grand entrance.

Just three months into her two-year mission, Curiosity has already returned more than 23,000 raw images, driven 517 metres and delivered history-making data about the mysterious Red Planet. And she delivers this information to the public via a quirky social media personality managed by a three-woman team at NASA.

Curiosity celebrated her birthday at a site called Point Lake, where the rover team intends to find a target for first use of the rover's rock-sampling drill.

While Curiosity may not be an actual person, the robot has made significant scientific advancements that will forever shape mankind's understanding of Mars - a qualification that makes the car-sized rover worthy of the nomination.

Curiosity wasn't the only non-human to make TIME magazine's annual list. The Higgs Boson Particle is also a contender for "Person of the Year".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/8004128/Curiosity-nabs-TIME-Person-of-the-Year-nod
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

akadaka
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 02:55:24 pm »

i would like to nominate Amanda from Showgirls.Last friday night she managed to hook one fishnetted stocking leg around a pole and extend her body out at a 45 degree angle for the whole duration of Guns n Roses Sweet Child of Mine.That to me was bloody brilliant and i can still see it now everytime i blink my eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 03:53:04 pm »

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
dragontamer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:29:59 pm »

i would like to nominate Amanda from Showgirls.Last friday night she managed to hook one fishnetted stocking leg around a pole and extend her body out at a 45 degree angle for the whole duration of Guns n Roses Sweet Child of Mine.That to me was bloody brilliant and i can still see it now everytime i blink my eyes Grin

Bahahaha - have you opened your eyes since last Friday? 

I can raise an image of what you describe, but hope for entertainments sake there was more going on than a woman at a 45 degree angle for the entire song.   Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: